Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Andy and I'm from Manchester in the UK. I'm working part-time right now and I thought that I'd have a serious go at domaining whilst I've got the time.

I'd like to ask though, do you think it's realistic to expect to make decent money working on my own and starting with zero knowledge? I'm willing to persevere and put in a several hours a day, but if I don't see any progress after 6 months or so then I may give up.

How many of you work alone? I just read about a company called Internet REIT. How can independent workers compete with companies such as them? And what about my limited knowledge. Does it take years to get good or could I do it in months?

Thanks, and hi to all,
Andy

Welcome to the forum, most people work on their own and most I guess have started with zero or little knowledge. If you are a coder then you could in theory be competing in months rather than years but expect a steep learning curve and a lot of frustation!

Read everything you can on this forum, especially the dropcatching section to give you an idea of whats needed - and dont expect too much help from the people doing it already ;)

Grant

Welcome Andy,

This site should help you fast-track your knowledge gain on UK domaining, dont buy anything until you have done your homework!

Agreed. I bought some crap domain names when I started! So keep your eyes open for now and put that creditcard away!

Jee

One thing that's hard to learn is what type of domains sells, some names you think are great will just never sell.

My advice would be to watch the sales threads and sites that report sales and try to see what sells more often. Try to filter out the one-off sales though. Think of the pixel example of last year, one person made loads of money from it and thousands lost money and time trying to chase a one-off phenomenon.

Also think about the people who might buy your domains, if the market is limited chances are you will find it hard to sell unless there is high traffic. As an example I registered dollsclothes.co.uk last year, sounded like a nice descriptive name at the time, but how many people actually sell dolls clothes :D

Anywho, good luck and welcome to the forum :cool:

Cool. Thanks for all the tips.

Grant, you mentioned that it's easier to get started if you're a coder. Unfortunately I'm not. Does that mean I should steer clear of certain areas?

Also, I might try picking up some coding knowledge. What are the relevant languages?

THanks,
Andy.

Its a benefit to be a coder if you want to catch, however to 'manually' register and trade names that is not needed :)

atoklas said:
Cool. Thanks for all the tips.

Grant, you mentioned that it's easier to get started if you're a coder. Unfortunately I'm not. Does that mean I should steer clear of certain areas?

Also, I might try picking up some coding knowledge. What are the relevant languages?

THanks,
Andy.

yes, you only need coding knowledge if you are trying to catch domains as they drop daily. If you're just buying up domains manually then you just need a good head for what may sell and patience. I recommend you get a copy of DNA which can scan large lists of domains rather than entering one at a time at 123reg or wherever. Be aware of the 1000 daily limit on .uk whois lookups tho :

http://www.domainpunch.com/products/dna/

good luck, grant

Also, Everyone is talking from a domain dealing perspective. A lot of us on here buy domains with a view to building sites for them and placing affiliate marketing on it. I would advise looking into that too. That's the path i'm veering down as catching domains is pretty competitive and obviously everyone knows when the good ones are dropping and will all be going for it ;)

Typo's are the other path.

And Welcome to the site. :D

Last edited:
Welcome Andy.....
Domaining can be a slippery slope but forums like this are a wealth of free knowledge....use it to your advantage....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom