Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

HostMaria domain business livestreams - tonight 9PM

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Helmuts, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Helmuts

Helmuts AcornDomains.co.uk ★★★★★

Good morning,

Let us talk about listing domain names at marketplaces :)

See you at 9PM

YouTube link:

Best!
    Helmuts

p.s. there us still time to submit your portfolio for the review

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Helmuts

Moved to 10PM

4. Helmuts

Next domain name livestream will be tonight 8PM UK time

The topic: Is your brand domain taken? How to Choose the Perfect Domain Name for a Business.

Expert: Adam Dicker

YouTube link:

5. Helmuts

:) the next one is on tonight, 9PM UK time

Adam Dicker and @wizard (Sam Charles)

6. Helmuts

Going live tonight 7PM with one and only Sam aka @wizard

Livestream link:

wish Sam to have a look on your domains? pm me

Helmuts

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. KarlM United Kingdom

KarlM Well-Known Member

Nice to see the show back!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ryan Ewen

Ryan Ewen Active Member

Good show

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  9. Helmuts

Going live tonight 8PM with @wizard (Sam) and Ryan from digitalcandy.uk

• Like Like x 4
  10. super-whois

super-whois Active Member

Nice to hear my caught domains frank.co.uk and boomerang.co.uk mentioned a few times :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Helmuts

:D :D congratulations!!! great job!! Would you like to join us at some future streams?

12. Helmuts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ryan Ewen

Ryan Ewen Active Member

Thanks for hosting - it was great to talk about domains

• Like Like x 1
  14. DomainManage

DomainManage Active Member Acorn Supporter

Helmuc you are doing a great job giving up your time to promote UK domains and services. I hope that HostMaria is getting plenty of business.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

This was an interesting discussion and look forward to seeing new innovations for the .uk space. I think one area that could be exploited is relevant parking ads. When we started out Sedo provided very attractive landing pages with highly relevant ads (most of the time) appearing directly on the landing page. Why can't anyone do that any more? Why can't a domain like BusinessMortgages.uk be parked with ads from a few uk business mortgage providers showing prominently to anyone landing on the page, but with an attractive design that shows it is for sale. I've tried most of the parking options, and they never show highly relevant ads (i.e. ones that exactly match the keywords in the domain) directly on the landing page - you often get irrelevant and obscure options appearing which frankly look awful, and just devalue a decent domain. So if you can sort that out Ryan you'd be on to a winner.

16. ukbackorder

ukbackorder Active Member ukbackorder.com
    Bronze Member

It seems impossible to find an advertising network to implement your own parked ads. If you could get an ad aggregator to provide ppc ads (or even per impression) with some kind of api you could easily create your own but I guess they worry too much about fraud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DJ

DJ Well-Known Member

Didn't anybody else find it interesting that Ryan said the reason that he wanted to buy flip.uk last year was basically to buy the exclusive rights for every dropping name from Nominet for 5 years and every name would then go through flip??

I am not sure, as somebody who currently partakes in catching, that I would want to support a platform that has ambitions on obtaining a monopoly on dropping names and ultimately bring an end to dropcatching. Around 33:20 in case you guys missed it.

Not really filling me with confidence @Ryan Ewen , as it seems like you want to grow the platform on the back of dropcatchers who want to auction or park their recent catches, but will happily stab them in the back if the opportunity presents itself.

I would be interested to get your thoughts and clarification on this, as well as a collective opinion from the dotukgroup.

Cheers,

DJ

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. super-whois

super-whois Active Member

I cannot agree here, there was a lot of discussion and debate on which option Nominet should go down, but a lot of members agreed a first come, first served basis should be maintained.

Before flip.uk launched, I looked at setting up my own, but flip.uk beat me too it, so diverted my attention on my drop catching instead.

If flip.uk changes direction, I will probably reserect my previous project of a responsive auction platform.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ryan Ewen

Ryan Ewen Active Member

I think what i said was that their is an opportunity to buy the rights - and auction them through a platform so everyone gets a fair chance.

That opportunity exists for anyone to exercise.

I think it is unfair to use language like 'build off the back of catchers' and 'stab in the back' - i tried to give an independent view on opportunities and other marketplaces to acquire domains from - like NameSilo etc to be all inclusive so your comments are really unfair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ryan Ewen

Ryan Ewen Active Member

Something like mortgageadvisor-com.

We are looking at AI to understand the context of the domain name but that will be V2. We are also looking at logo creation as part of brandable.

21. DJ

DJ Well-Known Member

"Why I was trying to acquire flip last year was basically to buy the rights from Nominet, right, buy the rights for 5 years and then have a public facing auction similar to namejet and that kinda thing, so I think that opportunity exists where by if you have enough capital you'd buy the rights for 5 years say right everything to keep it fair goes through flip and then that way you have a continual flow...."

I was asking for clarification on the above point that you made. You didn't suggest it in broader terms, which is why I was asking for clarification?