Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

I'm a shyster, apparently! Are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I sent my pitching email today to an end-user I believed may be interested in a domain I had for sale, stating the case politely. The domain in question was UsedAccordions.co.uk and I was only asking £50, not exactly high finance!

In less than 40 minutes I received the following emailed response;

"Hi, It strikes me that unless you have some dealings with used accordions you shouldn't have "owned " the name. What kind of shyster makes money by doing no work? get a life, get a job, work hard, make something, earn your money, you'll feel better for it"

I replied;

"Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ll file that under ‘not interested’ then!!"

It's moments like this that makes it all worthwhile!

Regards to all my fellow shysters out there!

Chris

I hate people who send rude emails like that. Either be polite or say nothing! These people seem to forget they're running businesses and they have a reputation to consider.

I sent an email out to a popular blog site asking if they would do an email interview with me for a national company's website (with the advantages including being linked to in an email sent to a few hundred thousand subscribers, various links from a PR6/7 site and social media backing as well as potential future relationships). All kinds of well-known people across the web have been more than happy to go ahead with it, way more popular sites than his. I got a really sarcastic response along the lines of 'Why should *I* write content for *you*?'. Apparently all the advantages were irrelevant to him from his high and mighty position (this guy isn't a famous name by the way), and I contacted 'the team' as a whole asking if there was anyone who could spare the time, I didn't address him specifically. The irony is that his own blog is mostly powered by guest posters writing for free.

People are strange.

In this business be prepared for much worse. :)

Domain investors, by some, are seen as scum of the earth.

I know loads of property developers and investors - I better tell them to give all of their houses and land away because they are never going to live their themselves!

I sent my pitching email today to an end-user I believed may be interested in a domain I had for sale, stating the case politely. The domain in question was UsedAccordions.co.uk and I was only asking £50, not exactly high finance!

"Hi, It strikes me that unless you have some dealings with used accordions you shouldn't have "owned " the name. What kind of shyster makes money by doing no work? get a life, get a job, work hard, make something, earn your money, you'll feel better for it"

I replied;

"Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ll file that under ‘not interested’ then!!"

Chris

Response:

Hey, you have dealings with used accordions right? Why didn't you buy the domain before I got to it...you really ought to work harder at having dealings with used accordions - or maybe you're just a little slow to catch on? This internets thingy just creeps up on you doesn't it?

BTW, surely you have dealings with 'people' which relate to used accordions? Or do you actually talk to the instruments? Hmm, I bet that's it, because you didn't really come across as much of a warm people person in your response.

Tell you what, I withdraw my ridiculously low priced offer of swapping the domain for £50 - you made me realise that my time and effort is worth much more than that - £350 should do it.

PS. Say hello to the accordions from me!

Last edited:
I've had two approaches from end users in the last month for a couple of 'speculative' names in my portfolio, and as such, I only asked for a small amount. The first I stated £40, she simply didn't get back to me. The second I stated £30, he asked if I'd be open to offers, so I said, £20 minimum, otherwise it's not even worth my time. He didn't get back to me. I honestly can't believe they'd even waste their time contacting someone if they're not willing to part with £20!

I've had two approaches from end users in the last month for a couple of 'speculative' names in my portfolio, and as such, I only asked for a small amount. The first I stated £40, she simply didn't get back to me. The second I stated £30, he asked if I'd be open to offers, so I said, £20 minimum, otherwise it's not even worth my time. He didn't get back to me. I honestly can't believe they'd even waste their time contacting someone if they're not willing to part with £20!

You could've turned them off with such a low price - if I was buying a car and the seller asked for a fraction of its apparent worth, it would make me question it's value. I'd think there must be something wrong with it and that I should at least check out some other first.

You could've turned them off with such a low price - if I was buying a car and the seller asked for a fraction of its apparent worth, it would make me question it's value. I'd think there must be something wrong with it and that I should at least check out some other first.

Car - yes, Domain -no! Not for me anyway, but who knows what goes on in people's heads.

I replied;

Chris

I think his reply says more about him and his lack of business acumen than it does about you.

Get a job. Love it!

Because he would rather spend his time scouring lists day after day and sending emails constantly. It may sound cocky but I do believe we are providing a service, offering keyword domains relevant to someones business that otherwise would be unavailable, some end users get it and others just don't, unable to see past the registration cost.

Shyster

I'm loving the comments guys!

Never mind the rivalry between the Mods v Rockers in the 60’s, look out for the Domainers v the Accordionists on the beaches this summer!!!

Greetings from the original shyster of the east!

I have had some right stroppy replies, i cant help but wind it up after that haha.

Im trying to buy another decent forum at the moment and have emailed a few to see if they want to sell. Most either dont reply or just say thanks but no but I have had one really quite venomous reply back saying how dare I want to buy it, its a community and he would rather let it die than sell on and forum owners who run them for a profit are killing forums etc...

Fancy asking him what the hell this accordion is all about, im clearing out the wifes nan and grandads place and it was in the loft lol

Attachments

• IMAG0554.jpg
    IMAG0554.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 221
Cheers Kev I will mail them a pic, see if I can get some more info on it.

You just got take it in your stride. - I would say for every 4-5 polite emails i receive there's probably one that offends me slightly.

Makes our dealings more interesting +plus you get to genuinely like the polite respondents (OK i'll cut you a deal )for their good manners.

Well if he sells accordions and he's sending rude replies to you, just ask him to 'pull himself together' - :D - maybe you got off on the wrong note?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom