Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

I'll be at the London Domain Summit - what do you want me to talk about?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be at the London Domain Summit later this month (https://www.summit.london/)

I'll be on the Main Stage for 40 minutes at 3pm and the rough topic is "Governance of Nominet" seeing as I am a member-elected non-executive director of Nominet.

Here's my question: it's a domainer conference, so what do you most want to know about, hear about, ask questions about?

In my head, there are several things that may make sense, and each would come with a different degree of interaction:

• What my experience has been after one year on the Board, especially given that I have been an observer and frequent critic of Nominet's governance - what I think is working, what I am working on, where I think more work needs to be done
  • What governance issues Nominet is facing right now and why they may be of interest to domainers - the biggest topic will be the ongoing Articles consultation (first round of comments close next week - 9 Aug - https://www.nominet.uk/articles/
  • Nominet's relationship with domainers and what can be done to improve it
  • Topics / issues / ideas for how Nominet can better serve the secondary market - this would be you coming up with suggestions and us discussing them in a back-and-forth
Any preferences for any of those, or other ideas?

Kieren

Last edited:
The question has been asked for over a week on the Nominet forum, along with others. Kieren just prefers to resort to DARVO.

He won't answer at the Summit, I can guarantee that.

Last edited:
Good morning @Kieren, great initiative!

@super-whois :)
kind-and-polite-world-will-be-right.gif

How about you answer the simple question that has been asked of you?

How long did your screening take with Reed last year?

Ok. I guess it will take me an hour or so to go through emails and find the information and I will share that information at the conference.

Now, what would people like to do with the remaining 39 minutes?

Kieren

If I put “domainers” in to TheRegister search box many articles come up from over the years. While I’m not going to personally blame you for writing many of those articles (stuff did happen)…In my opinion many of those articles led to the disconnect between Nominet and the secondary market today.

I get the fact you stood on a platform of bridging the gap in the industry (see your twitter thread) but I think you were voted on the board by larger members. The secondary market were behind @JimDavies who was leading in the first round against you. As is the case today now you sit on the nominations committee at Nominet deciding the election rules.

Also the secondary market has changed:

(1) It is now 2023 and a lot of consolidation has happened - people are even selling platforms and portfolios. The game keepers are now the poachers. In fact the aftermarket and expiry period is one of the most highest revenue earners for a large registrar. Sedo for example will be at the conference and they are owned by United Internet.

(2) Consolidation is also happening amongst the Nominet membership. Yet another merger last month with Google Domains going to Squarespace. Therefore I think you will find if you order the latest Nominet voting rights CSV by votes (DUM + Equal Vote) you will see many secondary market companies at the very top of the membership eg. Media Elite Holdings now has 200,000 domains.

(3) The threat of regulation which you first wrote about here in 2012 as “Nominet 'sought govt protection from takeover by domain hawkers'” has reared its ugly head again in 2023. As I understand it the government wishes to take section 19-21 of the DEA 2010 act and turn it in to a statutory instrument. Passing it through Parliament in Q1 2024. Read the Nominet blog here supporting the consultation.

So although many of the faces haven’t changed over the years the industry certainly has. You can’t teach a DNMUM how to suck eggs and remember your audience when you do your speech.

Good luck.

Last edited:
What are you views on providing discounts on new registrations and domain renewals to encourage further uptake in .co.uk's and .uk

What are you views on providing discounts on new registrations and domain renewals to encourage further uptake in .co.uk's and .uk

Might be just me, but the Promotions link on the Registrar online services dashboard doesn't appear to work any more.

Knowing Nominet, I expect prices will be going up and not down.

I would be interested to know the total number of .co.uk's and .uk's registrations year on year, as I am sure lots of large portfolios have been dropped recently due to the fact Nominet haven't offered any promotions since 2021.

I imagine numbers will be down dramatically at the end of this year.

Also, remember Simon promised to reduce prices as part of the publicbenefit campaign, but once he joined the otherside this was forgotten.

Might be just me, but the Promotions link on the Registrar online services dashboard doesn't appear to work any more.

Promotions stopped for a financial year when the board had to write off Cyglass etc. Last year Nominet made a £4.4 million loss - see page 9.

Knowing Nominet, I expect prices will be going up and not down

The latest board report from Nominet does indicate that way:
.UK Pricing Review – Eleanor Bradley (MD-Registry & Public Benefit) provided the Board with a summary of market and economic factors that are impacting the registry’s cost base. The Board acknowledged the broader economic conditions had become increasingly challenging over the past 12 months and decided to discuss the matter further at the November Board meeting.

However officially the board will make a decision in November (after the AGM in October).

I would be interested to know the total number of .co.uk's and .uk's registrations year on year, as I am sure lots of large portfolios have been dropped recently due to the fact Nominet haven't offered any promotions since 2021.

.UK Statistics are here for 2023.

Previous years on bottom of here.

Reactions: DJ
Ok. I guess it will take me an hour or so to go through emails and find the information and I will share that information at the conference.

Kieren

First of all Kieren I'd like to say that I used to enjoy reading your articles in the Register. Good journalism - particularly when it concerned nominet and all it's goings on. And I think this screening of nominet election candidates might have made your ears prick up back then, and I think it merits full investigation now.

Why is it election candidates voted on by the members are screened? When was this introduced and by whom. Was there any discussion on this subject? Was there any public announcement at the time?

I've looked at reed screening website and I can only find a page on pre-employment screening and a number of checks they may undertake for a company/organisation. Do we know what checks reed are undertaking for nominet? - does it mirror the pre-employment screening checks shown on their website? One of the pre-employment checks is for 'activism' and weeding out people who might be in conflict with the aims of the company/organisation. Is that included? Do nominet tell the candidates what they are being screened for? A person classed as an activist might be just the person who is the members choice to look into things like pay, bonuses, book publication fees, registration costs, the .uk rollout debacle and the long term effects on the uk domain aftermarket, and not forgetting multi millions lost on failed commercial ventures.

So can we have answers from nominet on this screening, what it entails and who is responsible for introducing it, and if it is 'ultra vires' as someone has suggested it needs to be dropped quickly. Nominet should not have the right to block a members vote because they deem the candidate unacceptable to them, whether it is because of the person's views, or due to other factors (such as a credit check, social media activity etc - these are listed also). In my opinion this is a very important matter and not to be treated lightly. Let the members decide if someone is worthy to be elected.

So those stats generally show a steady decline in .co.uk and increase in .uk this year, interesting.

• Auth code for transfer - actioning it ASAP
  • Bulk reg ability with nominet
  • Pricing offer to encourage adoption

You can already register up to 100 names at a time via Nominet. I'm sure that could easily be increased if there was a demand.

Hello,

I was invited to join this forum this evening but it turned out I already had an account. Goodness knows why or when I created one, but here I am!

Kieren, I'm curious to know whether IFFOR is still operational.

GoDaddy took over the .xxx Registry Agreement when it bought ICM in 2021, and IFFOR seems to have stopped updating its web sites, such as iffor.org and atfirstsite.org, not long after. It hasn't posted any board minutes since 2018, despite you saying on Acorn that you would update them during the election last year..

We really don't know whether IFFOR has done anything in the last couple of years, or even whether it exists any more.

And the .xxx Registry Agreement with ICANN was due to expire at the end of 2021, but has been extended a few times for reasons that have not been disclosed.

Are the facts that IFFOR is apparently dormant and that .xxx can't seem to sign a new RA related?

Just me being curious!

We can talk about it privately at the Summit if you don't want to be transparent here.

Hello,

I was invited to join this forum this evening but it turned out I already had an account. Goodness knows why or when I created one, but here I am!

Kieren, I'm curious to know whether IFFOR is still operational.

GoDaddy took over the .xxx Registry Agreement when it bought ICM in 2021, and IFFOR seems to have stopped updating its web sites, such as iffor.org and atfirstsite.org, not long after. It hasn't posted any board minutes since 2018, despite you saying on Acorn that you would update them during the election last year..

We really don't know whether IFFOR has done anything in the last couple of years, or even whether it exists any more.

And the .xxx Registry Agreement with ICANN was due to expire at the end of 2021, but has been extended a few times for reasons that have not been disclosed.

Are the facts that IFFOR is apparently dormant and that .xxx can't seem to sign a new RA related?

Just me being curious!

We can talk about it privately at the Summit if you don't want to be transparent here.

:) Good morning Kevin :) Yes, you do have an account and a really old one

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom