Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

MeetDomainers Live Auction

Discussion in 'NameDrive' started by JamesTuplin, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesTuplin Germany

JamesTuplin Active Member

With the start of meet domainers growing ever closer I am still looking
    for generic domains to be considered for the live domain auction at
    MeetDomainers. www.meetdomainers.co.uk/auction

The only criteria is that the domains should be Generic 1 & 2 word
    domains, no hyphens, preferably in .co.uk

Price wise 100 GBP to 20k GBP. Certainly I wish to achieve an auction
    where bidding is encouraged.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Best Regards,
    James

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

Should we PM or email domains?

4. JamesTuplin Germany

Hey Ben,
    Email would be best please.
    If you could use this email address, then I can keep somewhat organised :)
    Else, feel free to pop me a Skype or a call.

Meetdomainers@namedrive.com

Regards,
    James

5. JamesTuplin Germany

A lot of domains added in the x,xxx range.
    Especially looking for cheaper domains to start the auction off with.

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Not to derail this thread, but why? It's always puzzled me why there seems to be a perceived (and IMO misguided) need at domain auctions to cover the whole range of domain values (and therefore also qualities). Surely what advances the industry most is an auction stuffed to the brim with juicy top quality generics (nothing but the best) at appropriate market rates...

This thread on Sedo's recent "premium" auction covers this issue VERY well, I thought:
    http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/sedo/72742-sedo-premium-auction-starts-today.html

I'd appreciate your insight on this.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. JamesTuplin Germany

Hi Edwin,
    The domain auction will have domains priced at 100 GBP upwards, so there are domains for everyone. Including "Juicy Premiums"

I dont share the opinion that if you fill the auction with "Juicy Generics" that they will sell, even if they are "reasonably priced". Just take a look at any live domain auction over the past 12 months.

A lot of UK domainers have not got 5 or 10k to drop on 1 domain.

I would rather have 50 reasonably priced domains that will sell, rather than 100s of domains priced at 50k plus.

The auction will feature domains for every budget, right up to yours ;)

Dont worry you wont be left out.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member

Domain Aftermarket - Auctions

I would love to list a bunch of names but as like most auctions I've attended or participated in, the room is filled with 99% domainers and not the companies which would attract the higher pricing... obviously this is great if you're a buyer which in most cases i am, yet if you're a seller its not as beneficial.

After you have reviewed the inventory of domains which users have submitted, are you then actively going to invite / source companies which you feel may be interested in such names? or will you simply be publishing a press release to a wide range of media groups hoping to attract some attention surrounding the names?

For example if i was to list GOLD.CO.UK I'd be hoping to attract companies within the gold industry e.g. Jewellery shops, money for gold traders, companies situated within Hatton Garden and so on, not just domainer's hoping to get a bargain if that makes sense.

The same would go for say MODELS.CO.UK - I'd be hoping for Modelling Agencies, Casting Call Agents, Photographers etc

The list goes on....

Due to the size of your inventory and time scale which you guys are working too, attracting the right buyers to such an event and getting top prices is going to be a big task i feel.

Have you an idea on the balance regarding attendees e.g. Domainers, Investors, Other etc

I'm fully behind such an event and would love to see a company here in the UK execute an auction to a high level.

All the best,
    Barry

9. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with Barry, nobody is really going to put their generics into such a broad auction, at least without an unrealistic reserve. That's what happens at Sedo every month and has become a joke of an auction, at the end of the day nobody has confidence in it now.

James, if you make it a secure place to trade, where vetted people will be allowed to bid, realistic reserves, a place for buyers and seller to benefit, then the great names will eventually come.

It won't happen in one event and it will take time, don't blow it by chucking in names for publicity reasons, just stick to ones you think will sell.

Nice catch by the way, lucky b :D

10. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

Oh well,

I just had all mine rejected that I sent for auction....No explanation...

No point me buying a ticket now!

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Care to share any? It would be interesting to see what didn't make the cut...

12. JamesTuplin Germany

@ Barry.

I do personally offer the service you describe, contacting end users in behalf of owners. However, logistically, organising such an event would take years of planning. 5+ business for each and every name to be auctioned. Thats a LOT of work. Also, from experience in planning MeetDomainers business are not interested in attending such an event.

The only business with this kind of money to spend on domains would be large LTD companies or PLC's .

Thats not to say that such an event wont happen in the future, but I feel its far to premature.

We are not looking to attract "top prices", we are looking to achieve fair prices for domains. Low reserves, to attract bidding from everyone in the room, not just the wealthiest. There will be domains for everyone.

If you want me to try and sell gold.co.uk, I had in the past offered my services to do just that.

@ Disruptive Your domains were declined as the reserve was 20 times that what it should be.

@ Greywing All domains have realistic reserves. Ive just shown you a few snippets, so you can see what I am planning.

@ "Everyone". Just wait til you see the list of domains before making comment. Its not even been released yet!!!!! :cool:

13. disruptive

I cannot put domains into an auction with low reserve when I cannot be sure of who is in the room. Some of the reserves were considerably lower than offers already made. I appreciate you don't know this...but I'm here to make money not give domains away.

14. disruptive

here were some

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  15. JamesTuplin Germany

@ Disruptive.

I deal with domain brokerage day in, day out and no matter who is in the room, the prices are unrealistic.

If you would like to share your reserve for socialnetwork.co.uk, then others will only tell you the same.

I understand you are out to make money, but in the same way you cannot also attach any price you wish.

I say no more........

16. disruptive

James, I too sell domains for 5 figures...privately, I usually don't tell the world. I certainly do not let other people dictate the terms of the prices. I suppose you would want socialnetwork for £100 and approval for £50. No chance mate!

When I have had offers of 5 figures for both, you must be joking. If I want a piddling offer, I'll take the first offer that comes my way - which is very often.

The only point of an auction is to raise the stakes. Its not clear how you could add value and ensure that your buyers have the cash in the room to make it worthwhile and hence the high prices of the reserve. I'm not giving domains away.

James, you have to show people that you can drive big hitters to the auction and I'll reduce my reserves accordingly.

17. JamesTuplin Germany

No 1k - 1.5k would be fine.

There will be enough "big hitters" in the room, but again they will also expect reasonable reserves.

Thats Ill have to say on this matter now. The auction list will be revealed on Friday. Anyone else that wishes to add domains, please contact me.

18. disruptive

Still only 10% of last serious offer. Not enough protection on the downside for me. Sorry James, I'd love to put them in... I might be tempted to do it at £15k.

19. JamesTuplin Germany

Last day for MeetDomainers Auction submissions.
    The Auction will be broadcast live both on NameDrive.com and Meetdomainers.co.uk

20. JamesTuplin Germany

Im hoping to release the domain auction inventory later today or at the latest Monday. Just waiting back on contracts. MeetDomainers.co.uk/auction will feature the information soon.

21. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

got to agree with NDJames on this..

domainers are living in dream land - outrageous valuations.

It seems some domainers want to have the cake and eat it. They can't develop or monetize a domain themselves yet expect a figure based on the potential of the domain as if the domain was developed with revenue - yet that is the investors risk hence they want a reasonable deal too.

Even if a domain has lots of potential that potential has to be realised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.