Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

MeetDomainers Live Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think a wide variety of names isn't the problem. If it's a UK domain auction then there should only be .uk names featured in the auction.

Hi Ty,
Whilst I appreciate your concerns, these domains were added just to start the Auction off. Again, because they are domains that anyone can afford.

Starting an auction off with names that anyone can afford but which aren't worth buying by anyone is a very twisted way of looking at it.

The auction should have had a "floor" of say 1,000 pounds - anything less and it is not worth standing up in front of a roomful of people and calling the domain out. This isn't a market stall on a Wednesday morning, it's supposed to be a fairly high-power conference. No room for junk. And most people will have spent a good fraction of that already on the conference ticket, transport and the hotel, so it's clear people have some money...

It's like going to a diamond auction, and having the auctioneer "warm up the room" by selling cubic zirconia. You've already stated the event is mainly going to be attended by domainers (= jewellers, in my metaphor) so nobody's going to get excited about the worthless stuff...

Even more damning, I recognise at least half the .co.uk names from sales posts in here over the last few months. If even the Acorn audience wasn't buying, that shouts a huge message.

Yet another wasted opportunity, sadly.

James, I know you're putting a lot of effort into this, but the message from so many experienced posters on this thread is practically unanimous. Sometimes it's time to take a really deep breath, stop and really listen. This problem had already been flagged in the weeks leading up to the auction in several of the threads, so it should be no surprise at all that so many are disillusioned by the list.

Last edited:
Paul, apologies I have had a client fly over today so have been in meetings all day. Will reply now.

Yet another wasted opportunity, sadly.

Again, feel free to make comments such as these AFTER the auction, but I find comments like these are being made by a minority of people.

As previous mentioned, this is a European show based in the UK. Whilst there is a UK presence, most attendees are actually NOTfrom Acorn domains.

All domains in the auction will also be marketed to end users.

As they say "Proof is in the pudding" .

Again, feel free to make comments such as these AFTER the auction, but I find comments like these are being made by a minority of people.

As previous mentioned, this is a European show based in the UK. Whilst there is a UK presence, most attendees are actually NOTfrom Acorn domains.

All domains in the auction will also be marketed to end users.

As they say "Proof is in the pudding".

Sounds like you have an idea already who might buy them then? Buyers lined up?

I know the US guys when they do auctions, line the buyers up ready and contact end users?

That said it is disappointing that we can't have a good .uk only show, as many of us here are paying good money to attend the show and may have bought the odd name at the right price.

Sounds like you have an idea already who might by them then? Buyers lined up?

I know the US guys when they do auctions, line the buyers up ready and contact end users?

"Ditto" ;)

That said it is disappointing that we can't have a good .uk only show, as many of us here are paying good money to attend the show and may have bought the odd name at the right price.

Many of the people criticising the selection of domains are the same people whom were contacted to enter domains into the auction but decided not to.

Again the domains entered into the auction are priced to sell, many which have gained considerable interest outside of AcornDomains.

Most of the holders of the "top" UK domainers want end user prices, as this is a domainers show there is no point listing domains at 50k + if in my professional opinion they are only worth 10k.

I know what you guys want. The best domains, at the cheapest prices, doesnt everyone?

However, leave me until Wednesday everyone. Ill see what I can do and add 3 or 4 more names priced ABOVE 10k, domains people most certainly wont have seen before. Although it may seem from time to time that I have been somewhat submissive to everyones opinions, I take your comments seriously.

This is YOUR show and Ill try my hardest for everyone on here to give you what you want.

Have a great weekend guys.
auf wiedersehen

James

P.S for all non Domain auction comments please use:

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/domai...27th-28th-manchester-pt-2-a-2.html#post267590

James, I know you're putting a lot of effort into this, but the message from so many experienced posters on this thread is practically unanimous. Sometimes it's time to take a really deep breath, stop and really listen. This problem had already been flagged in the weeks leading up to the auction in several of the threads, so it should be no surprise at all that so many are disillusioned by the list.

I completely agree. I really like James and we chat regularly on MSN.

My worry here is ND are putting a lot of money into a very costly event that will offer them little benefit, yet I'd they spent that in other areas and developments they'd not only benefit domainers, they'd benefit themselves.

James has said it is coming, just need to wait and see.

Horse`s for courses

I Think its very difficult to be all things to all people

without a good budget in place , if you are looking for higher prices

to end users then there would be required said marketing costs which would

demand higher commissions and even maybe a entry price for each domain

to be auctioned , there fore helping with the more expensive cost of attracting

the end user also education would have to be used to get end users excited,

potential buyers maybe dont understand the potential of a domain

but they would of a website take for example franks domain seller 2000

recent sale on domainlore with i think it was carfinance.org.uk

over 10 k a end user can make a judgement call on that and understand

its potential, but when you advertise a domain name its most likely that some

from the domain trade will buy as they can see the potential value in it

after all thats why we buy

if any one is interested in setting up such business with me let me know

as i have a good name for it IPSOUK.COM ( intellectua or internetl property exchange )

A development team of 8 to start with opening up this Monday the desire

to succeed the experience of running a good business

please i am not trying to undermine James effort`s as i think as my title

reflects there are Horses for courses and courses for Horses

And i wish james all the best and i will be attending

best regards steve aka Dommanagment

Take the property / land market what sells most HOUSES or Land only

yes there are self builders etc but the number are higher for a finished new house or a existing house its called lowering resistance and that what you have to do to gain a increased price

Inventory updated including:

CoffeeMachine.co.uk

110,000 Local EXACT Google Searches Per Month
301,000 Global EXACT

CoffeeMachines.co.uk

49,500 Local EXACT Google Searches Per Month
110,000 Global EXACT Google Searches Per Month

Also included in the sale
Coffee-Machine.co.uk
Coffee-Machines.co.uk

All 4 domains @ 20k Reserve

GymEquipment.co.uk

60,500 Local EXACT Google Searches Per Month
135,000 Global EXACT Google Searches Per Month

10k Reserve

Snorkel.co.uk
18,000 Local EXACT Google Searches Per Month
110,000 Global EXACT Google Searches Per Month

4k Reserve

Blades.co.uk
9,000 Local EXACT Google Searches Per Month
74,000 Global EXACT Google Searches Per Month

4k Reserve

Last edited:
Great to see that ND are contacting end users prior to the auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom