Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Moving site to WordPress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can move my site currently on Yahoo web hosting to WordPress? I want to keep the old site up while I work on the new version on WordPress.

My old provider is yahoo and the new one is Host gator. I want to keep all the page names and URLs the same as the old one in order to be able to keep the link juice.

I may however combine a few pages as Google seems to like pages with more content and 301 the old page to the new page?

The main reason for wanting to do this is Yahoo webmaster tools is not mobile obtimised. Although I'm at the bottom of page 1 I think this might help me rank a bit higher and generally improve the look of the site.

Any suggestions?

You don't say what format your current pages are, but you can import html pages for example into Wordpress via plugins like:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/import-html-pages/

These plugins are never perfect so always worth checking each page after import.

Thanks Diablo. I have also looked at building the site off line using wamp but it all looks quite complicated. I am kind of scared to flip to a new host with wordpress on it and start copying the content as it will take me ages and might effect my rankings until I have all the pages and images loaded to the new wordpress site?

I am kind of scared to flip to a new host with wordpress on it and start copying the content as it will take me ages and might effect my rankings until I have all the pages and images loaded to the new wordpress site?

Set up the wordpress site on your new hosting and work on it at your leisure - google aren't going to know anything about it until the nameservers are switched.

Your new host ought to be able to explain to you how this is done.

Last edited:
If its just wordpress migration I feel your new host should help , and are you sure on moving to hostgator as they have some horrible support stories since they were sold out to EIG, In case you need a host with wordpress hosting that can get your website migrated I would suggest to check https://www.rshosting.com/wordpress-hosting/ I sure they will help you migrate data for free , I have got that support many times.

How many pages does the site have? You could just get new hosting and setup wordpress, force your host file and then get all of the data moved over. Once you are happy you change the nameservers / DNS so it doesn't go live until you are ready.

How many pages does the site have? You could just get new hosting and setup wordpress, force your host file and then get all of the data moved over. Once you are happy you change the nameservers / DNS so it doesn't go live until you are ready.

Thanks for the tip Nick. I contacted hostgator and I was told to read this article: https://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/how-do-i-change-my-hosts-file

Im not sure if that is what I'm looking for. He also said:

Robert R
There are other options, like creating the site on a subdomain.
7:03:53 PM
Robert R
But they require much more work to fix later.

Me:
It would be great if you could just build the site offline and then add it to hostgator flick the switch on the nameservers and go live! :)
7:06:14 PM
Robert R
Correct.
7:06:19 PM
Robert R
It would!
7:06:21 PM
Robert R
Agreed!

Yes, just change your host file while you work on it. You are then tricking your computer into thinking the dns has been changed.

Once you are happy change the dns

Yes, just change your host file while you work on it. You are then tricking your computer into thinking the dns has been changed.

Once you are happy change the dns

Thanks Nick, this may all be above my head and I've never done it before but I'll look into it and read the guide. Hopefully I can suss it out :p

Yes you can move eaisly. contact to wordpress support and they can move your website in easily way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom