Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet prefer nGTLD to .UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing like instilling some confidence in their own products. :rolleyes:

not commercially savvy

Thanks for the post and shinning a light on it.

I thought it was bad enough that Nominet Trust was giving out grants out to organizations using .com
.net .org etc. but for Nominet to launch anything themselves that doesn't end in .uk would in my view be "not commercially savvy".

Seasons Greeting to all.

Stephen

Will simply have to disagree

.....In my personal opinion, not influenced by me being a Nominet Board member, I feel that international recipients of Nominet Trust funding should be free to choose the most appropriate domain names for their venture. Being able to choose the most appropriate domain names for a venture is commercial savviness. Trust recipients can and do operate internationally as well as within the UK.

Will simply have to disagree with the focus of Nominet direction (which includes Nominet Trust directed by Nominet) on this matter.

But the free for all spending seems to go further than just Nominet Trust grants to organizations not using a domain ending in .uk,
especially when they operate in Oxford, which is still part of the UK.

http://research.nominet.org.uk/post/102956520326/the-oxford-flood-network shows part of the reason why Nominet needs to increase prices by 50%!

Stephen

Last edited:
With all this focus on IOT technologies, the last thing i want is for Nominet to have a finger in knowing anything about the IPs, mac addresses etc of anything i will own in the future.

Flood Network Ltd isn't Nominet..

*Cough* *Cough* Top right

Nominetflood.JPG

Shame most of the data on there is from EA anyway. When Oxford floods, you know where its going to flood, and what roads will be closed.

I can't see how this website will be any different to what the EA do, as the EA have their sensors UPSTREAM so know when the water is coming.

FloodNetwork.net and .org

Maybe should also push the use of;

FloodNetwork.org

FloodNetwork.net​

Which fulfil your criteria and are FTR.

As Nominet was so scarred of all the new gTLD's and was given as a major reason for launching .uk,
also given as a reason for putting up the prices so Nominet could compete on a sounder basis with the changing needs of the domain buyers,
Nominet seem to be taking a totally different view here of the competition and embracing them, if it is funding them via Nominet Trust.

Stephen

FloodNetwork.org.uk FTR too.

Daft move by Nominet.

Flood Network Ltd isn't Nominet.

That's a fair point, but the media have been briefed that this project is a partnership and, given that Nominet know fuck-all about hydrology, I assume they are involved in the IT side of things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-35049806

Most people might reasonably assume that, if they partnered with a domain name registry, that partner would supply the domain name for the project, wouldn't they?

Any which way you cut it David its a kick in the teeth for .uk. As a non exec I am expecting you to fight our little corner (and .UK) tooth and nail.. I would think one of the reasons many voted for you?

If I was in your position I would be looking for blood after this, indeed I would do everything in my power to at least find out the mentality behind this (why not floodnetwork.uk - was it suggested?) decision and if it could be rectified in future UK projects.

I feel gutted..your posts here demonstrate you don't really seem to give a toss about .uk and would rather reg some more hole.pics...

I presume Flood Network Ltd are the ultimate drivers of this project and not Nominet R&D.

You may have read this, you may not, but on:

http://www.nominet.uk/nominets-iot-tools-breaking-down-the-silos/

at the bottom it says:

Our aim now is to two-fold. We will continue to develop the systems for the Oxford Flood Network, adding new features, such as an open data interface. But as an applied R&D group we are also working on other real-world projects to test our IoT tools in different situations. The first of these is our very own smart car park solution for our Oxford Headquarters, which you will be able to read about soon!

Personally, I love smart car parks, so can't wait to read what they have to say about using the IOT with car parks, and what analytics that may bring, that aren't currently available on a commercial smart parking solution that many car parks currently use (can't see it being much, unless they have some hardware that uses the TVWP, PORW etc). Some in London have so much data available, from a simple sensor, that the real nerd can get all nerdy about it :)

I admit many will say WTF has this got to so with domains, and yeah, I agree.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines one could argue it means 'we have an enormous pot of cash, and we don't know what to do with it', so now, lets spunk it up the walls on trying to use our fecking car park to reinvent IOT services so our zombified, fuck nugget work force can make it to their over paid jobs a bit quicker.

btw, I’m not an anti innovation or a disbeliever in this iot shite, just risk averse, indecisive, and skeptical of everything :)

You may have read this, you may not, but on:

Our aim now is to two-fold. We will continue to develop the systems for the Oxford Flood Network, adding new features, such as an open data interface. But as an applied R&D group we are also working on other real-world projects to test our IoT tools in different situations. The first of these is our very own smart car park solution for our Oxford Headquarters, which you will be able to read about soon!

Well they'll have a lot more money soon to funnel into useful projects like these.

Sooner, or later, one of those moonshots (ultimately funded by .UK registrants) will come good.

Who will get the benefit??

I suspect we will see new companies spun out of any successful projects & it will be interesting to see who the shareholders & directors of those new companies are & how much of their own money has been risked in bringing the project to fruition.

joint venture insist on domain ending in .uk

....In my opinion the selection of "flood.network" by this company is a great choice because (a) the dot neatly separates the two words and (b) the domain name is an exact match for the company name (excluding the Ltd/Limited suffix). On these bases alone their selected domain name is nicer than "floodnetwork" would be within even .com, .co.uk or .uk in my opinion. ....

100% agree for that company to register there own main domain name, it is a opportunity they should not have missed and they don't need to pay $100,000 to create the gTLD as others have had to do with their trade names.

Where it seems differs for me, Nominet which derives its revenue from domains ending in .uk is in partnership with another organization which is not in the domain selling business,
so I would expect Nominet for a joint venture to insist on a domain ending in .uk to showcase their joint project.

Or is co-funding with large registrars the only tool in the Nominet marketing toolbox?

Stephen

I'm sorry but imho your completely wrong. Firstly this project is in the UK so flood.network is too generic and global for this (or is that where its at?). Second, its potentially a critical service built on a rocky new gtld foundation that no one knows about in the UK and has yet to prove its self long term (13k registrations in 1.5 years wow) - what happens down the line when .network is shit canned? Third, for crying out loud, Nominet are the .uk registry supporting a project they must have some leverage; floodnetwork.org.uk would have been fine, and if not, I'm sure with a little imagination other .uk flood network related combos are available.

As a general thought about the selection of the "flood.network" domain name by the independent company Flood Network Ltd rather than about the other issues already raised, thread readers may be aware that "floodnetwork" within .com and .co.uk are already taken and .uk is reserved due to ROFR. Other extensions (historic and new) are available.

You must be out of you mind :) You could say this about any ngtld - tour.guide, kids.shoes - you really have been sold the dream with these.

In my opinion the selection of "flood.network" by this company is a great choice because (a) the dot neatly separates the two words and (b) the domain name is an exact match for the company name (excluding the Ltd/Limited suffix). On these bases alone their selected domain name is nicer than "floodnetwork" would be within even .com, .co.uk or .uk in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom