Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet transferring without asking for ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had a bulk deal go through the other day without them informing me they had the forms or asking me for I.D, and when i rang them up and spoke to someone called silly girl told me that they didn't need to ask me because they know my signature?, we said this was wrong and she got very defensive and shitty with us,.

I said OK, a friend of mine owns trainers.co.uk, if i send a transfer form in with the correct address etc would this go through, she replies, "of course not as we require you to provide ID on all transfer requests?" i point the contradiction out to her, and again very shitty with me and puts me through to someone higher.

Matt who i was put through to was shocked that this is happening and is looking into it, and the manner of which there employees address customers, i hope.

This is not the first time this has happened with me. Keep an eye on whats going on with your names, as you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob
Personally I'd love somebody to steal my name, have someone develop it and then I find out in 2 years time and take the name back!

That would be fantastic,

But as your point goes, it's a silly argument that this person put up and should be sacked for incompetance. Not for the mistake but for the pure fact that she thought that argument would stand up.

GW

It's happened to one or two transfers i've done in the past.

The more worrying thing is sometimes i've not got any email through saying it's been transferred - luckily I have the TAG change emails!

Lee it's nothing personal
Nor would i take it that way.
Lee it's nothing personal but I feel compelled to stand up for Nominet. I've always found them to be the most courteous organisation that I deal with, they are always polite, well mannered and helpful, Louise being one of the people that I would include in that description.
That is in your experience, i have found them well mannered also, except on this occasion they/she was very rude. Bad day maybe!.

Regarding them not letting you know that they have the transfer forms or asking for a utility bill, on the first point nowhere do they say they will contact you to confirm that they have received a transfer request and on the second point they clearly state that you should send a utility bill etc.. with your transfer forms so you're not without blame yourself if you didn't follow their instructions and send in the proof as requested.

This is a load of rubbish, and really off the point. Below is the standard email for those of us who don't like to send a copy of our driving licence or a utility bill to a client.

First point, they MUST contact me, as i send my I.D via email, and they cant transfer without this.... Or should i say they are not supposed to!
Second point, you are just talking silly here, so your saying that if you don't send the ID via post they have a right to transfer the name?. However you look at it, nominet must get the required info for a transfer end of. Someone called Matt also agreed.

Over all i am happy with them, just though i should post this as it wasn't the first time it has happened.

Hi Lee,

I am currently processing your request to transfer the registration from Lee Hart to mad max for the domainname.co.uk domain name.

In order to complete your request I will need either a copy of a utility bill (no older than 6 months) or a copy of your driving licence.

Your identification allows us to verify your request and ensures we only accept the correct authority when making changes to your domain name records.

If you have the facility please send your identification as a scanned attachment to me at [email protected] or marked for my attention by fax to 01865 332288.

If you have any questions please do contact me.

Last edited:
...I havent sent them a paper copy ID for over 6 months and instead just send a signed PGP request. So in theory they could not use another ID as would be older then 6 months.

Hi Chris

Could you please explain this to me? Do you mean you send them a scan of a utility bill encrypted with PGP or something else. If something else, what and how do they know it's from you?

Does the 'older than 6 months' only apply if you haven't made a transfer with the last 6 months, or am I missing the point here too?

Thanks

Suzi

Could you please explain this to me? Do you mean you send them a scan of a utility bill encrypted with PGP or something else. If something else, what and how do they know it's from you?

PGP is public / private key signing, so in theory he will be the only one with the private part and thus is digitally signing it.

This works fine as Nominet 'know' him / his digital signature.

Plus, it is good enough for them to allow him to rack up a credit account with them so if its good enough for Nom's accounts / voting/ whatever department it ought to be good enough for Nom's transfer department.

I dont sign a copy of a doc suzi, just write an email "This is to confirm I which to transfer blah" and then pgp sign the email. As its a digital signature is unique to me and time stamped.

Your still talking rubbish, no matter what i send or don't send, the fact of the matter is they cant transfer a name without the requested proof/ID. This is a fact.

I can assure you that my phone manner was proper with this girl, maybe she was backed into a corner knowing one of her colleagues had done something wrong i don't know.

Please point me in the direction of where i said this girls should be sacked? as i would love to see it. I am there customer, i expect a proper service and proper support over the phone, i don't want to be talking to someone who has a attitude problem.

With you saying your post is to stick up for the admin staff makes me laugh, how the hell can you say that i am wrong? how do you know how nice or unprofessional she was?. You cant, all you can really say is that you are happy with the service. Not disagree with fact.

With nominet admin/staff as a whole i am more than happy, always helpful and willing to help. But nothing is perfect.

Lee,

Without getting into the rights or wrongs of the Nominet system which is far from perfect, you can't write your own rules and then moan when things don't go as you expected. The rules are simple, send the transfer forms with a letter of confirmation and some form of ID e.g a utility bill. For your own reasons you choose to ignore the latter requirement and instead expect a phone call letting you know they've received a transfer request and also an e-mail asking for proof of ID, both of which you may have received in the past as a courtesy but neither of which are documented or promised anywhere.

My main reason for posting was actually to stick up for the admin staff at Nominet. We're already viewed with disdain by most so making matters worse by having a witch hunt on this forum against one of the people whose help we rely on daily seems counter productive. IF it was a case that she was having a bad day (it may actually be that you failed the attitude test) it's hardly a reason to start calling for her to be sacked and it certainly doesn't endear the rest of us to the Nominet staff for the future.

I dont see where the argument is what Nominet did was wrong. I know lots of folks who transfer using the ID as a crutch until payment clears myself included.

No ones sacking anyone where did that mindless idea come from, worse comes to the worse they transfer the name back and apologize.

Note: i have edited the girls name. All her name was there for was for being rude not for the nominet error, so i will give her a break.

I dont see where the argument is what Nominet did was wrong. I know lots of folks who transfer using the ID as a crutch until payment clears myself included.

No ones sacking anyone where did that mindless idea come from, worse comes to the worse they transfer the name back and apologize.

Agreed, all my post was for was simply to warn fellow domainers that this can happen and to be vigilant. Not to get into a debate :)

The system is to blame,

How can they expect/request that you send your ID and signature around to third parties. I NEVER send any identification with forms and so far I have had no problems with Nominet sending me an email and requesting it.

The uk domain market is open to so much criminal behaviour im suprised it doesnt happen/ happen often. You could steal someones identity pretty easily if they sent you certain types of ID as the Nominet forms request.

I think it should be standard procedure for both parties to send ID directly to nominent.

I wouldn't send my ID unless it's to someone on here whom I'm very familiar with.

The sending of your ID to a thrid party is flawed, nominet should request it from you direct.

Guess it wont really matter if they move ahead with online transfers.

I wouldn't send my ID unless it's to someone on here whom I'm very familiar with.

The sending of your ID to a thrid party is flawed, nominet should request it from you direct.

When sending out the confirmation letter I always include, if ID is required, please contact me directly. Like you say, sending ID to some stranger is very flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom