Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet Zone File Released in May

Looks like a relatively ordinary zone file. (There are some real nightmares like the .name zone). No major problems parsing it from what can be seen above.

Regards...jmcc

The db-dump file is a comma separated list of domains in the following line format:
<domain text> , extension

So for example acorndomains.co.uk appears as acorndomains,co.uk

One per line,
Interestingly its not sorted alphabetically, so I bet some interesting theories as to the significance of the ordering will follow shortly ;)

Doesn't hold much value to me personally, more interested in expiry dates and tags.

Thanks for posting the detail.

Seems to me that somebody with database skills could build a complete picture of the take-up of .uk over time by comparing .co.uk and .uk Whois records using DAC (it would take a few days worth of DAC quota to complete the comparison) which would show exactly how many .uk rights were taken up by .co.uk owners each day since .uk was launched.

In pseudocode, something like:
1) Does .uk have matching .co.uk?
2) If yes, then has .co.uk been continuously registered since before the cut-off date for .uk right of first refusal?
3) If yes, then .uk must have been registered by .co.uk registrant exercising that right

My last line within that is 10700061.

According to my import there are only 10700025 unique names, the discrepancy appears to be duplicates. How can that be?

e.g. domainfamily,co.uk on line 7013085 and 7010933. Albeit that the first one has uppercase "D" whereas second is lowercase, can someone please confirm I am not imagining this?

There is an exception and unsurprisingly it's registered to the registry without an expiration date. I probably don't need to understand why under those circumstances. :) You might want to check the others and the reasons for those might become self explanatory too. Is this only within the database dump rather than the zone?

I haven't processed the zones yet, so yes just the dump, I am currently in the process of identifying the others.

Not a problem for me as I'm using domain+extension as a primary key (was just domain, hence why I was originally 1million short!) so I won't end up with duplicates, I was just surprised that my count wasn't an exact match.

I'm sure tomorrow's file will be correct :)

They are all same registrant and most seem to have a theme (connection to registrant is not obvious) and most also expire on Thursday

Last edited:
What on earth are you guys going to do with this data anyway?

There's so much of it with the majority being worthless I don't think I'll bother.

Most are going to run it through the dac to create absolute drop lists. If you can't code, its almost useless to you other than to try and find potential buyers.

There are a few other uses too, don't wanna help potential rivals ;)

The same as the other zone files for me, to keep my DNS history site updated. I'm sure Nominet will also be pleased with the drop in domain probing DNS queries :).

There's so much of it with the majority being worthless I don't think I'll bother.
Add the unknowns to the 460 million or so active and deleted domain names tracked here amongst other things.

Regards...jmcc

I've loaded the domain file from today, and there are approx 2,712 additions from yesterday (haven't checked removed domains yet).

A quick scan of these domains, shows they have the registration date of 15th May (Sunday). I thought each file was meant to be a snapshot of the previous morning at 8.30am, so the contents of the file should be a day behind?

I registered a handful of domains on 16th (Monday) and none of these domains are showing in either file.

I see 2,574 additions and 4,330 deletions and a sample of the additions are from 15th

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom