Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet Zone File Released in May

Any one know what software should be used to open these files???

They are text files inside the zip, you can view them with any text viewer (although since the files are big notepad won't work well ;)).
You could import them into sql server, or even excel. Depends what you want to do with the data.

They are text files inside the zip, you can view them with any text viewer (although since the files are big notepad won't work well ;)).
You could import them into sql server, or even excel. Depends what you want to do with the data.
Tried all that, too big to open in any mainstream software and excel struggles to import more than just the letter A's!

9,783,544 in the csv dump file. I thought that was all of them?
Maybe my import into msql failed somewhere. I used LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE

Tried all that, too big to open in any mainstream software and excel struggles to import more than just the letter A's!
Haven't tried it on the Zone but bigdump was handy when I was looking to import the uk postcode data that runs into millions of records
http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/

You might do better using Linux with vi. TextWrangler for Mac imports them. Clearly some regular expressions will need to be performed on the data to remove the unnecessary parts before processing.

Even the provided CSV file complains about size and only shows around 1mil results.

9,783,544 in the csv dump file. I thought that was all of them?
Maybe my import into msql failed somewhere. I used LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE

My last line within that is 10700061.

Even the provided CSV file complains about size and only shows around 1mil results.

Yes. Sorry. Too advanced for you. :)

I guess you're attempting to open in Excel? If you're on Windows, grab something like Notepad++ to view the whole file.
Notepad++ suffers the same issue it seems. Will look at the config for it when I have more time. Thanks.

Notepad++ works fine for me.

Attachments

• npp.png
    npp.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 64
You might do better using Linux with vi. TextWrangler for Mac imports them. Clearly some regular expressions will need to be performed on the data to remove the unnecessary parts before processing.
If it follows the usual zonefile format, then it should be possible to use Awk or Perl to pull out the domain names if that's all that is required. However it will be necessary to filter out any non-domain name data.

Regards...jmcc

.uk file size is much smaller than the .co.uk ;)

o_O This is the full domain file, db-dump-20160516.csv, with the line number on the left, showing 10,700,061 domains.

Notepad++ works fine for me. Use whatever works for you.

So is the zone file the full zone file complete with nameservers and glue records?

Regards...jmcc

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts