Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Obvious Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I really should know the answer to this after all this time. Am I correct in thinking that having changed the TAG of a .uk domain away from a registrar, directly via the Nominet account, then that registrar now has no possible control over the domain, and cannot cancel it etc?

Thanks in advance..

If you want to cancel a .uk domain, I don't think any Registrar can do that.

You have to log into the domains account at Nominet and go through the cancellation process (no charge).

You are correct in thinking that a departing Registrar has no influence over the domain, only the receiving one.

You are correct in thinking that a departing Registrar has no influence over the domain, only the receiving one.

Thanks for confirming this.

Of course, if there are contractual agreements outstanding between the registrar and the registrant, then I wouldn't assume the domain is "safe" by simply removing it from their TAG.

This is partly my problem. The domains in question are in my Nominet account, but I am not the registrant. I held them in a 1&1 account (I know..) and have now changed the TAG directly at Nominet, not at 1&1 as they would not do so as I was not the registrant. To stop 1&1 continuing to bill me, I now need to "cancel" the domain in my 1&1 contract. I just wanted to double check that 1&1 could not actually do anything to the domains...

Really my best advice is cancel your credit card. 1and1 are a real joke, they charged me for months after I'd canceled the contract with them.

Really my best advice is cancel your credit card. 1and1 are a real joke, they charged me for months after I'd canceled the contract with them.

I know lots have had this problem, but it has never happened to me and I've had several contracts with them over the last 10 years. You do need to be very careful in terms of cancelling the contract with them though, or they will continue charging - hence my question here.

With 1and1 you have to cancel the contract with them, and actually have it confirm your cancel.

If you have domains on their tag, they will detag them upon cancelling the contract, even if you asked them to change the tag, its a joke, and an example of Nominets lack of teeth.

...and an example of Nominets lack of teeth.

This was exactly my thought when I contacted Nominet.

I had a conversation and explained my situation - they should have a procedure where they welcome complaints, make them easy to do and perhaps a division to look into some issues.

When I'd had enough of 1and1 I called Nominet with my situation: pages of logs with my communication with 1and1, charged after domains were moved out, cancelled and not on their tag, assurances I wouldn't be charged, continued to be charged, they ignored my emails/hung up on my calls or if they stayed on the phone they'd tell me to email support@ or transfers@ or complaints@ then if i was lucky to get a reply they would tell me I emailed the wrong division and try another...

Nominet said they can't help. I asked if they had a complaints procedure and they said I could send them a letter if I wanted! Didn't give me any confidence it would affect anything.

You live and learn...

If you have domains on their tag, they will detag them upon cancelling the contract, even if you asked them to change the tag, its a joke, and an example of Nominets lack of teeth.

Wow I never thought things like that would be tolerated by Nominet.

Cancelling a credit card is not necessarily a good idea: if a vendor considers you to be under contract then going into arrears may be unhelpful.

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom