Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Transfer question

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping some of you people who are more clued up on transfer matters than I am can help with a quick query:

I'd like to buy a couple of .uk names from a domainer. That person has them registered with Names.co.uk

In the past when buying names from a domainer, I have just had them transferred via Nominet and not via a registrar. I then pay the £10, get the names in my Nominet account, change the registrar tag in the process to Namecheap where I hold my names, and transfer in at Namecheap. Job's a good'un!

In this instance, the seller has them regd at Names.co.uk and doesn't seem to have access to their Nominet account. They said if I create a Names.co.uk account I can have the names pushed into my account there. But my concern is that will just push the names into my Names.co.uk account, and not actually into my ownership with Nominet.

I opened a ticket with Names.co.uk explaining the above and they never replied to me, hence I'm posting here to try and get a concrete answer so I can proceed with the deal.

Thank you in advance....

Everyone has access to their Nominet account, but few know it.

Tell seller:

Go to secure.nominet.uk/auth/access-your-account.html and enter the email address your domain name is registered under in the Email Address box and click the Submit button.

Nominet will then send you an email from which you can log in and create your password.

Last edited:
Thanks diablo

I asked the seller to do similar to the above (I said just use the forgotten password link to get access to your Nominet account) - but they want to push via Names.co.uk :/

It's not my preference, but I'm happy to deal with it via Names.co.uk if absolutely necessary. Just trying to ensure the domains would definitely be transfer to me via Nominet in that case.

Will ask them again to go the Nominet route using your instructions above. Thank you again!

This kind of sellers bring a bad rep to us all.
Sellers should be able to accommodate whatever transfer the buyer prefers or is comfortable with.
In the case of .uk domains we have more than one option with the "nominet transfer" being the formal method.
The proposed EPP standardisation will bring the familiar "auth codes" from the gTLD to the .uk transfer and might simplify these kind of issues

Yeah the seller is to blame here. They have registered the names for free, sold them and now refusing to incur any costs - just being greedy.

Yeah the seller is to blame here. They have registered the names for free, sold them and now refusing to incur any costs - just being greedy.

A quick fix for the seller might be to use a Nom transfer to move all the domain names they bought for free, from Namesco in one fell swoop. That way they have all their domains on their tag and can transfer the one they sold (if accredited) quite easily. Even still, it’s only £12 and every seller should be willing to make the customer happy first IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: DJ
Just wanted to pop back and say a big thanks for all of your replies & help :)

The domains have successfully been received and are under my ownership now. In the end, we went the Nominet transfer route as Namesco never replied to my ticket.

A little note, is that the 2 names were transferred to me in one go:

< domain >.co.uk
< domain > .uk

All through the transfer process via Nominet it only showed the .uk no matter what I did - logged out, logged in, different browser etc. Couldn't get the .co.uk to show up.

In the end I transferred in the .uk, then the .co.uk popped up in my account too.

Not sure if it's a one-off quirk or a proper bug that Nominet need to fix.

Relieved it's all concluded, thanks again everyone!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom