Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Question on transferring domains

Reaction score
I may need to change the registrant details on about 50 domains

I can just do this via my registrar by updating the details

But what is the purpose of the Nominet transfer, as they charge £12 for each domain (I think)

Is the registrar route legal/acceptable?

Don’t want to fall foul of Nominet rules…

I think if you do it as a bulk lot then its £12 total for all of the domains? but don't take my word for it

Yes, you can change the registrant details and then release them to another tag, or as Murray said, you can send an unlimited number of domains on one transfer for £12

I've previously posted the registrant change procedure here, that's for tag holders.

Really all in one go for £12 in total

Thanks, the wording is not straightforward on their portal

I may need to change the registrant details on about 50 domains

I can just do this via my registrar by updating the details

But what is the purpose of the Nominet transfer, as they charge £12 for each domain (I think)

Is the registrar route legal/acceptable?

Who is the registrar ? Most will allow you an internal push to another account very easily, and I know even godaddy will allow you to change the tag these days.

No reason why you have to use the Nominet route for any legal reasons as far as i'm aware. It is probably the safest way as it's done via their system so less likely to go pear shaped and means they are responsible, but if you're confident in the process via registrar then shouldnt be a problem.

If the registrant details aren't in your name and you just do a tag release then a) you are not the owner of the domain and b) the original registrant could be liable (or at least tied up with action) for any illegalities that occur with the domain.

The nominet transfer is for changing registrant details and/or tag when the tag owner does not have the ability (or doesn't want) to do this themselves.

So, to clarify I need to change legal owner/registrant to a company name, still mine, same tag

If I change details via GoDaddy then is it still effectively changing registrant?

Or does Nominet only recognise changes in ownership done via its portal?

You shouldn't have any problems just changing using GoDaddy. You will need to switch from individual to company and your name would still be the contact.

I thought the details change at Godaddy was not even at domain level for uk domains - it was just their internal information. Perhaps someone with godaddy knowledge can let me know. I don't allow tag releases to godaddy from ukbackorder as in the past they have never actually changed the ownership and many times had problems assigning released domains to accounts.
However if the domain is already in your name and contact details are yours (at nominet) I wouldn't worry about full transfers for just your own details change unless you want to.

Before I had my own TAG I used GoDaddy to update reg details without any issues. This was a few years ago now.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom