Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Parking multiple domains

If you made Millions in just 2007, how come your still doing this - hobby?

I made 7 figures off PPC 10 years ago ;) However the landscape is a lot different now. Was just wondering if people still use that as a viable business model.
I made 7 figures off PPC 10 years ago ;) However the landscape is a lot different now. Was just wondering if people still use that as a viable business model.

The more you have the more you spend.. plus some damn good parties :)

If you made Millions in just 2007, how come your still doing this - hobby?

Pretty much. I invested a lot in bricks and mortar, properties, and businesses. And it wasn't million(s) with an 's' ;) With the cost of houses and equipment it doesn't go as far as you might think.

Has it dropped of that much ? If you were making 7 figures then, how much has it tanked since then ? And are you doing similar things if you dont mind me asking. It's always good to get tips of the guys that have/are actually making a very good income at this.

That's just it. The income model is far different now from 2003-2008. The guys like aquanuke are the ones to fill in about whether it's worth the time and effort to build up affiliate networks. I've always gone for things that take no time and no maintenance for income - I'd rather have lots of things making a small amount than spend a whole working week concentrating on one which relies so heavily on the back of other technologies - google, facebook etc and can be destroyed by slight changes out of my control.

That's just it. The income model is far different now from 2003-2008.

Obviously not asking for your income details.... but is it stil possible to make those levels from domains with a different model or has the environment just completely changed and theres not as much available ?

The internet is full of money so I'm sure those levels are still attainable. I don't focus too much on that side of things but it certainly isn't attainable using the same methods from 10+ years ago. As I see it development is the way to go and that's far too much work for little reward as far as I'm concerned but there are others here who do very well in that field. Maybe one of those could give advice on current markets/models.

I'm sure there's still money in affiliate programs. However, the "big money" seems to be in stuff that didn't even exist a few years ago. For example, the more popular Youtube "celebrities" get paid tens of thousands of dollars to promote a single product. Ditto for those with huge Twitter or Instagram followings - they can make what most people would consider an enormous amount of money off a single promotional tweet or endorsement. That's because they bring to the party what many companies struggle to achieve: a ready audience. Now other things are hotting up: Snapchat, Periscope etc. But the mantra's always the same: "eyeballs - the more, the merrier".

But basically, anything that brings a huge volume of traffic can be monetised in some way - just witness the rash of fake news sites, and "funny pictures/videos" sites (which all seem to pirate each other's content) that have sprung up recently. Even if they can only scrape together a pittance from ads because they're so junky and unfocused, a million pageviews at $1 CPM will be $1,000 a month (and some have tens or hundreds of millions of page impressions a month)

Equally, I'm pretty sure you can make good money if you go "niche" but put in the hours to become THE authority in that niche. For example, StorageSearch.com. It's not a particularly pretty site, but over the years they've put in a vast amount of effort to be THE site for news about developments in SSD technology - and I'm sure their mix of sponsors reflects that.

Re. parking and sales pages, it's important to consider the reason the domain's getting traffic...

A) If it's an expired site with old links, a typo of a popular site, etc.: park or stick relevant affiliate ads on it (or even redirect straight through an affiliate link if you can find an affiliate program that allows zero click). It's almost certainly not a generic domain, so domain sales aren't going to come into the picture.

B) If it's a completely generic domain that's getting type-ins by virtue of its genericness (i.e. people typing it in "to see what's there") then:
- If there's just a dribble of traffic, then have it all go to a domain for sale page (you're likely to make pennies from parking, and one sale could net you thousands of times that)
- If there's a good amount of traffic, then park it with someone that also allows you to put a note on it that it's for sale

Last edited:
There is a PHP script called FolioTrader on CodeCanyon. It's only $25 and $7.88 a year for support.

Been considering buying it. I'd prefer to build a marketplace on WP.

If you just want to fwd the pages I think Epik is a great option. You load in all your domains in there and control fwds and DNS records. If you request an elevated account get incredible pricing fyi.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom