Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Penman pens resignation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So Mike 'Goodness-Snakes' Penman has quit Nominet - is that right?

What happened?
Perhaps he sees richer pickings as a tag holder?
All that accumulated knowledge - a consultant perhaps?

So Mike 'Goodness-Snakes' Penman has quit Nominet - is that right?

What happened?
Perhaps he sees richer pickings as a tag holder?
All that accumulated knowledge - a consultant perhaps?

Not that I know. When I last spoke with "THE GREAT ONE" :p :mrgreen: he mentioned that he acquired his Nominet tag so he could become familiar with the workings of the automaton, because there was another job within Nominet he was interested in applying for (and that job required automaton knowledge). Whatever he has decided to do (I don't even know if he has left, but if he has why wasn't I told) :p :mrgreen: I like to be the first to wish him, and his snakes, well. He sometimes had a particular sense of humour which made me chuckle and I will miss talking to him.

Not that I know. When I last spoke with "THE GREAT ONE" :p :mrgreen: he mentioned that he acquired his Nominet tag so he could become familiar with the workings of the automaton, because there was another job within Nominet he was interested in applying for (and that job required automaton knowledge). Whatever he has decided to do (I don't even know if he has left, but if he has why wasn't I told) :p :mrgreen: I like to be the first to wish him, and his snakes, well. He sometimes had a particular sense of humour which made me chuckle and I will miss talking to him.

Check out his acorn profile. "Ex" suggests a new career has begun. Who will I cross swords with now?

Best regards Mike.

Exes and excess

Yes, I'm in the process of leaving Nominet for reasons that I'm sure will become apparent when I publish my resignation letter. (Well, parts of it. Nominet's confidentiality clauses are tight, and they have a legal fund commensurate with their surplus and the MD's bonus package.)

To answer several questions in advance:

1. I won't be drop catching. I'd be crap at it and it conflicts with a lot of what I believe.

2. I will be offering a fixed-fee consultation service for the DRS, and a no-win no-fee* representation service. Nobody outside the DRS knows it better than I do, and most inside the DRS don't, either. (*Which is to say, no fee if I don't get the result I promised you in the consultation, which may be a mitigation rather than a win.)

3. My tag really was to play with the automaton. However, I may now join Nominet (for the voting rights and for nom-steer) and, as I'll have the member's rates, use my tag for my own snake-related business website.

4. I'll still be ignoring Grandin's trolling.

5. Though I'll be more open about the Nominet's and the DRS's faults than I was allowed to be before, I'll still be defending the DRS when people stupidly attack it, and probably more vorciferously now that I'm not fettered. Good people work in the team and aren't necessarily allowed to shout for themselves when subjected to stupid attacks here and elsewhere.

I'm happy to continue to spar with my old DRS sparring partners here or on the phone. As I'm thinking of being a stay-at-home dad from January, it'll help keep my brain functioning!

Good luck with it, a pity you may use what you know about some of us against us and the way we think and fight but that's life I suppose, there are risks in everything. I'll say one thing, you're a good mediator. ;)

Good luck Mike. Hopefully I'll never have to use your services, or defend against them! In the nicest way of course.

Best

S

Good luck, Mike.

I hope your dislike of dropcatching won't cloud the real issues that need addressing but that are nonetheless suggested by dropcatchers!

It is certainly a benefit to all of us to have someone involved that takes an intelligent and not one-sided view about it.

-aqls-

Its nice to see a male professional considering family over his profession...

My fear will be that mike will use his knowledge to sell out to corporates...

wowzers with that salary that must be looking for school leavers. :(

DRS Service

The money can be derived from corporate clients...easy to find trade mark infringement domain name on acorn and other such sites.

I personally think if you want to trade such names you better keep them 'under wraps'. Whilst Nominet have decided to sit back and watch people register and talk about names that resemble trade marks I am sure alot of money can be made from trade mark holders with a drs consultancy service

Lee

wowzers with that salary that must be looking for school leavers.

That job was there pre-resignation so not likely the be a straight replacement.

I personally think if you want to trade such names you better keep them 'under wraps'.

Not much point as there is the PRSS :)

revenue

Rob...Is that the purpose of the prss system ie. to help 'rights' holders to get hold of their rights?

Lee

Rob...Is that the purpose of the prss system ie. to help 'rights' holders to get hold of their rights?

Lee

Thats what it says on the packet.

What the PRSS is for
The PRSS is designed to assist in the following activities.

To assist in the establishing or defending of intellectual property rights and other similar matters.

To assist in the maintenance of your existing domain name portfolios

To assist in gathering information for cases under the Dispute Resolution Service (.uk disputes), Uniform Dispute Resolution Service (.com and gTLD disputes) or other similar systems.

To assist in academic research

Detecting, investigating, preventing, prosecuting criminal offences and possible offences.

Detecting, investigating and preventing use of false identities (e.g. fake universities, impersonation of police forces etc.)

Governmental functions and administration of justice

Cross reference trademark and whois database with PRSS and make a lot of money selling domain 'acquisition' services to UK PLC. Good for some and very bad for others.

Yes, I'm in the process of leaving Nominet for reasons that I'm sure will become apparent when I publish my resignation letter. (Well, parts of it. Nominet's confidentiality clauses are tight, and they have a legal fund commensurate with their surplus and the MD's bonus package.)!
...Any news on when Mr. P. will be dishing out the dirt?! :twisted:

Maybe hes had to sign a confidentiality contract? Just like Mr T' in the bounce.co.uk case?

Anyway I've found you the perfect job sneezy:

Nomainet Job Vacancies

Policy Executive

Are you a confident self-starter with excellent communication skills?

We are looking for a temporary Policy Executive to join our Legal and Policy Department due to maternity leave. The role involves forging relationships with external stakeholders, government and regulating representatives providing a two-way channel of information about the company and its external environment, and undertaking research.

We are offering up to £27,000 pro rata + excellent benefits for the right person.

Maybe hes had to sign a confidentiality contract? Just like Mr T' in the bounce.co.uk case?
...It's a shame if that's the case - with there being so many secrets and therefore so little truth, it's very sad indeed! :(

Anyway I've found you the perfect job sneezy:

Nomainet Job Vacancies
... :mrgreen: Very funny! - It would be worth it just to go for the interview questions and my enevitable replies! :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom