Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Personalised Number Plates

Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience in registering personalised numberplates?

I’ve seen a few companies offering use of their software that registers new numberplates for new releases In a similar way to drop catching domains.

Anyone familiar with this and 1) whether you actually need software, or if it’s pot luck and 2) whether it’s easy to build something myself? Looking at it, I can only assume they have automation to do it as opposed to an API or EPP system like for domains?

Many thanks!

William

I`ve bought a few plates and just register them through the likes of the DVLA or RegTransfers etc
I`ve never heard of needing your own software or am I missing something?

Sorry I should have clarified - I'm specifically referring to the mass release of new year plates (e.g. the 71 plates later this year). A few companies have said how "without their software, registering plates as soon as they're released is next to impossible" - not sure if it's just marketing talk, or whether it's like the .uk domains release where hand regging would get you no where.

I can't see anything on the DVLA website (e.g. API's, or a way to send requests directly to a server etc...) that would suggest how having software would improve your chances of getting one of the new plates - only thing I could think of was using automation to simultaneously attempt to register tonnes?

Willliam

Sorry I should have clarified - I'm specifically referring to the mass release of new year plates (e.g. the 71 plates later this year). A few companies have said how "without their software, registering plates as soon as they're released is next to impossible" - not sure if it's just marketing talk, or whether it's like the .uk domains release where hand regging would get you no where.

I can't see anything on the DVLA website (e.g. API's, or a way to send requests directly to a server etc...) that would suggest how having software would improve your chances of getting one of the new plates - only thing I could think of was using automation to simultaneously attempt to register tonnes?

Willliam

I hand registered a number of plates when the 19 plate was released and I have also successfully hand registered a couple when they release extra plates now and again - all direct with the DVLA.

I only missed out on one of the 19 plates that I was after, and have been successful 2 out of 3 times on other occasions.

Be warned - the DVLA site is an absolute mare on release day and I would recommend registering an account and saving your payment and card details the day before. It is also worth having the direct link to the plate to hand as this way you will avoid the search lag.

Good Luck!

May be they mean the second it's released they have a way of registering it faster than anyone could do manually. Like domain dropping software?

you can buy a new personalised UK number plate before the issue of the new reg you just can't put it on a UK vehicle and can't drive it on the road before issue of new reg without trade plates eg delivering the vehicle to a customer etc before the issue of new reg date etc but DVLA make the latest registrations available a couple of months before new reg issue date etc

Yeah, picked up these recently.

Bell-End_3066804b.jpg

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom