Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Popular websites that have switched to .uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does anyone know any popular websites that have already switched to .uk or are in the process.

The only one I noticed was StephenFry.uk which changed a few hours ago , not sure how he managed to switch it so quickly. I've registered a few .uk domains for existing sites I own with 1&1 internet at 9 this morning and they are still in the process of being registered.

Does anyone know any popular websites that have already switched to .uk or are in the process.

The only one I noticed was StephenFry.uk which changed a few hours ago , not sure how he managed to switch it so quickly. I've registered a few .uk domains for existing sites I own with 1&1 internet at 9 this morning and they are still in the process of being registered.

Haven't seen any yet; but I registered one of mine earlier and it took about 5 minutes to appear on WHOIS.

Stephen Fry was working with Nominet - his switch was part of the launch publicity.

The only one I noticed was StephenFry.uk which changed a few hours ago

I think that widespread adoption of ".uk" is a formality really, however it will take time for the majority to "come on-board".

Stephen Fry, as the cleverest man in the world, both currently and throughout all of recorded history, is very influential online and I would think that his early-adoption (of .uk) will cause many others to think it's a "jolly good idea"...

:)

Popular in terms of domain name investors, Deny's has registered domainlore.uk but it doesn't yet resolve.

I tried to register a couple today but wasn't allowed (outside UK). Will have to look at using a UK address I guess.

Thanks, they havent switch from .co.uk to .uk though. Its just a redirect to their uk.godaddy.com domain.

I'm interested in seeing big sites that have actually changed from their .co.uk to their .uk domain. It will be interesting to see how many do and what the effects are on their search engine rankings.

I'm curious to know of any that switch from .co.uk and, in particular, any that are UK orientated business that switch from .com to .uk given the new suffix is one character shorter.

I have a small blog running at www.dropcomfor.uk and @dropcomforuk on twitter. Not having blogged before I'd appreciate comments and pointers by email. :)

But Stephen Fry did not actualy switch from the .co.uk?

From what I can see he had the .co.uk with nothing on it and still does?

Last edited:

He switched from his .com. That now redirects to his .uk.

Sounds like aload of crap to me :)

Do it properly or dont do it

He never switched from the .co.uk, I believe he switched from .com to .uk. The thing with Stephens website/blog is that he probably never got much organic search engine traffic to his blog, I presume the majority where people searching for "Stephen Fry". So switching to .uk isnt that much of a big deal anyway.

He does however seem to have redirected all his individual pages over, for example if you click on the link below, it redirects to his .uk domain.

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/08/07/an-open-letter-to-david-cameron-and-the-ioc/

Sounds like aload of crap to me :)

Isn't most P.R. if you're privy to the facts of the matter at hand? :)

Do it properly or dont do it

99% of the people visiting his site won't notice. What Nominet more than likely wanted to be sure about was his provider didn't simply alias the new stephenfry.uk to his site, leaving the .com as it was, meaning they'd both display in the address bar. Thankfully they at least made the .com redirect for the majority of the traffic. :)

Maybe he might be the first .uk to get penalised by Google for duplicate content aswell?

I have a small blog running at www.dropcomfor.uk and @dropcomforuk on twitter. Not having blogged before I'd appreciate comments and pointers by email. :)

Would you care to explain the benefits of dropping a .com for a .uk :???:, before I send you any 'pointers'! :lol: ;)

Would you care to explain the benefits of dropping a .com for a .uk :???:, before I send you any 'pointers'! :lol: ;)

Obviously one wouldn't actually drop the .com from registration. It would remain registered. However .uk is shorter than .com and for .com web sites that predominantly target UK customers, and taking into account the trust element that end users reportedly have for .co.uk, perhaps some businesses will make the switch and begin promoting .uk 2LD's (particularly when they are the registrant of the matching .co.uk) rather than their .com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom