Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Rolling your own

Discussion in 'Domain Parking - General' started by webego, Jul 13, 2019.

1. webego

webego Member

So I have a bunch of domains that I currently have parked with Sedo for convenience. I have had a read through various posts on this particular forum and can see several suggesting rolling your own is the way to go. As a web dev I feel that surely I could do a better job of it if I only knew where to start. By that I mean where is best to source the ads/links/affiliate schemes to monetise these parked domains, should I add Google Analytics, do I need to add and keep updating content, etc, etc.

Can anyone advise or point me to a breakdown/tutorial that they rated and thought was accurate and effective?

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Domaintial United Kingdom

Domaintial Active Member

Not going to go too deep into this, as its been pretty well covered.

The one thing I would say... in an attempt to save you potential pain... don't run ads/affiliate links on domains if theres a brand risk, or you may devalue the domain.

We've seen so many domainers lose domains that were running competitive ads (though ad systems) against registered trademark / brands, and the domains being tied up in dispute and inevitably lost.

Revenue from parking/ads is dead, and has been for years and years (and years and years) IMO. If your domains have value, you'll realise this on the sale. If you can build out a domain (as a web dev) then do so, it will make you more in the long run.

If you just want to see an uplift when you sell a domain;

Just leave a simple/friendly for sale page up with contact form (implement bot check, as you'll get a shed load of spam). Also, you should list (but not park if you dont want to) your names on all the major platforms under make offer. Someone hunting for a name, or considering options wont always hit the domain directly, they'll browse through a platform like SEDO.

Just my 2pence worth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. webego

webego Member

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.

5. Hay

Hay Active Member

Domaintial, SEDO vs Undeveloped / DAN - What your thoughts?