Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Thailand

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have vague memories that one or two acorners have lived or do live here. I've never been but I'm keen to go for my first visit. I'd like to get some understanding of where is good and where to avoid, how the internet is and stuff.

Thanks.

S

I've lived here for about eleven years now. Thailand has something for everyone - there's a lot of current information (mostly catering to UK-speaking expats) here:

https://aseannow.com/

The reality is that it's bloody expensive at only 42 THB to 1 GBP, and the tourism high season is currently upon us. Personally, I'm disadvantaged in that I have a strong dislike for Thai food, but there are plenty of other international cuisines available.

Internet is probably right up there as far as availability, price (cheap) and speed are concerned.

Places to avoid are Pattaya and the Nana area of Bangkok, unless you're a piss-head whoremonger.

If I were you, I'd consider Phuket as a first visit. Easy access there from BKK main airports.

Enjoy!

Just looking online....I just saw a nice condo in wichit, Phuket for 169K usd! Whats the catch? Its built. Sea views. Nice big terrace, 2 beds. I love thai food.

Just looking online....I just saw a nice condo in wichit, Phuket for 169K usd! Whats the catch? Its built. Sea views. Nice big terrace, 2 beds. I love thai food.

It's in Thailand!!!

I have only been as a tourist, loved it.

Few nights in Bangkok, then onto Krabi and surrounding islands, then Koh Samui.

From memory internet was fast in most places we went to.

Wasn't Phuket decimated by the tsunami? What are the chances that something like that could happen again? I think I'd be tempted to pick somewhere further inland just to be on the safe side.

But isn't there some rule that foreigners can't buy property there or something like that? I seem to remember something about Brits going there and having to buy property in their Thai wife/ girlfriend's name. Sounds great for the wife/ girlfriend but quite a gamble for the man!

Wasn't Phuket decimated by the tsunami? What are the chances that something like that could happen again? I think I'd be tempted to pick somewhere further inland just to be on the safe side.

But isn't there some rule that foreigners can't buy property there or something like that? I seem to remember something about Brits going there and having to buy property in their Thai wife/ girlfriend's name. Sounds great for the wife/ girlfriend but quite a gamble for the man!
https://www.jamiesphuketblog.com/2008/12/4-years-after-tsunami.html

The property ownership rules are convoluted - legislation in TH changes very regularly.. As I understand it today, foreigners aren't allowed to own land, ergo houses and development acreage (unless via investment in a Thai corporation with Thais controlling it). You can buy a condo, but it's the lease you're paying for. Personally, I'd never buy property in Thailand even if I was legally able to, as the rents are so cheap, and funds for the average expat are better utilised elsewhere.

Things become different when you're married to a Thai lady, and are together in a serious way - not just a trip to the bank on the spur-of-the-moment to plonk your life savings on a property for a girl you met in a bar while drinking Leo or Singha as if there's no tomorrow.

Oh dear - I've known so many cases of expats being completely fleeced by women and ended up with unplanned children - without even the price of a ticket home. Really sad. But I suppose that's something that's rife on a global basis - not just TH. Thai courts almost always rule in favour of a female in most types of disputes. Thai women are very smart and I have the privilege of knowing a few I'd trust my life to - for over a decade.

YMMV, but DYOR!

If you like white sand / blue sea and hot sun beaches - Koh Chang was my favourite for genuine R&R with somewhat less of the madness…

In ‘95-96 (probably before many here were born :) I did several full moon parties on Haad Rin, when there was only a sandy track to get there bouncing around in the back of a pick up :D

If you like white sand / blue sea and hot sun beaches - Koh Chang was my favourite for genuine R&R with somewhat less of the madness…

In ‘95-96 (probably before many here were born :) I did several full moon parties on Haad Rin, when there was only a sandy track to get there bouncing around in the back of a pick up :D

'87 here, thank you very much. But I'll take 95-96 :rolleyes:

Reactions: m4c
I've lived here for about eleven years now. Thailand has something for everyone - there's a lot of current information (mostly catering to UK-speaking expats) here:

https://aseannow.com/

The reality is that it's bloody expensive at only 42 THB to 1 GBP....

If rent is so cheap, what makes Thailand so expensive? Always looking for places where I can go and stay for a month or two at a time.

Worth considering Malaysia, on the South border of Thailand. Ive spent plenty of time in both countries but prefer Malaysia. Much cheaper, food nicer, no folks trying to sell you a tuk tuk or jet ski and the ladies have lady parts

I'm also going abroad. Currently in Spain for 1 month but then doing Thailand for 2 months in Jan. Crazy that it is snowing in the UK at the moment.

Going to do a year and then decide what to do.

I spent the summer there uni exchange in 2010 have been back multiple times since.
Spend a few days in Bangkok see the sites.

Then if beaches are your thing head south I found the beaches in Samui and it neighboring islands nicer than Phuket but the later has probably bounced back quicker after the pandemic.

If you don't like humidity the climate is more milder in the north around ChiangMai no beaches but nice mountains and other scenery.

History wise Kanchanaburi were the bridge over the river Kwai is and Ayutthaya the old capital are a couple of hours by train from Bangkok.

Thais are amongst the most friendly people I've ever met I'll be spending a couple of weeks there mid January then over to Vietnam for a bit.

Does anyone have suggestions for best bank cards to use when travelling. I had revolut but they have been awful recently so might try something else.

Are there any other suggestions on how to pay for things or get cash?

Does anyone have suggestions for best bank cards to use when travelling. I had revolut but they have been awful recently so might try something else.

I use Currensea (links to your home bank account) and curve (links to debit/credit cards) for spending and withdrawing cash abroad.

I have found wise.com far better than Revolut in terms of customer service, Revolut used to be a little cheaper than wise but if your time is money I think wise wins.

Another vote for Wise. Love being able to pay in local currency when travelling across multiple countries. Also great for accepting payment for domain names in different currencies as basically gives you bank account in each currency account you open.

Thailand just brought in their Vax passport thing again. We've just cancelled our trip to Koh Samui in February.

Have had this booked for a while. Won't be trusting that country again.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom