Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk domain right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've not been following this issue so pardon the question, but am I right in thinking the plan is whomever owns the oldest registration of either the co uk, org, me etc will be given first dibbs on the .uk?

if so that means that you see a decent domain dropping tomorrow and that the other extensions are free, so you reg the org today and you then have dibbs over the catcher of the co uk?

I've not been following this issue so pardon the question, but am I right in thinking the plan is whomever owns the oldest registration of either the co uk, org, me etc will be given first dibbs on the .uk?

if so that means that you see a decent domain dropping tomorrow and that the other extensions are free, so you reg the org today and you then have dibbs over the catcher of the co uk?

You're right, under the current proposals.

But it's only a proposal atm, nothing set in stone.

I would like to see the .uk go to the co.uk owner personally.

What makes this .uk more worrying than previous other extension launches which have been and gone? I assume it depends on what wighting the search engines give it?
Everyone seems worried so would like to understand why. I can't see anyone wanting to spend money on a co uk whilst this is looming.

Going to be an expensive rebranding for a lot of companies if they get the uk. Or just scrape the .co bit off your van :)

basically yes

Basically yes you are correct.

If any of the other UK extension tld's .me.uk .net.uk .ltd.uk .plc.uk
are registered before you register the .org.uk they would have first dibs;
but if you register your interest and you have the oldest domain you will be given the equivalent .uk 6 months after the launch.

This will also lead to the crazy situation that if you register any UK tld you will possibly be gifted the .uk if nobody else applies for it, 6 months after launch.

For example if you register the following they will be a contender for the equivalent .uk domain and if none of the other holders of the equivalent UK strings does not apply for the .uk domain because they did not hear about it, didn't understand it or the procedures or maybe rarely didn't want it, you would get the .uk

leaflets.me.uk
nightime.me.uk
drt.me.uk
chemists.me.uk
exporting.me.uk​

.....anyway you get the idea.

This is based on how the .uk proposal is structured now.

Crazy. So is everyone registering .me's at the moment on unused premium domains in hope?

Would also like to know why this one is such a threat.

biggest threat?

Crazy. So is everyone registering .me's at the moment on unused premium domains in hope?

Not everybody, I didn't now if anybody is doing it yet, but as you are asking about gaining an advantage on registered an .org.uk to get to the front of the queue for a .uk, I was just trying to explain what might also be possible.

In addition if .uk did go ahead as stated, I'm sure there will be an active market in trying to acquire older .org.uk and .me.uk domains cheaply in the hope of getting to the front of the queue.

The biggest threat created by the current proposal is the collateral damage to the existing UK namespace.

This is explored in Alex Bligh (Nominet director for 11 years) .uk feedback
http://blog.alex.org.uk/2013/08/25/net-into-dire-muck-an-anagram-of-nominet-direct-uk/

Also as always Edwin has provided a great document on explaining the .uk situation
http://www.mydomainnames.co.uk/v2response2.pdf

for those that want another perspective my own report and feedback on .uk can be found at http://www.youruk.org.uk/

Hopefully enough people will complete the Nominet .uk feedback by the 23rd Septembers deadline, that the UK namespace is not damaged by .uk.

Last edited:

If you're looking at premium domains then its a fair bet the .co.uk and the .org.uk are already gone.

The chances of the .co.uk not taking their option on the .uk is slim to none.

The chance of .org.uk owner not attempting to take their option on the .uk is imo even less likely than the .co.uk not taking it. I'm assuming that .org.uk's are more likely to be owned by domainers/bulk developers etc, rather than a business owner owning a single .co.uk. This group of people are certainly going to be clued up as to the launch.

The chances of the .co.uk not taking their option AND the .org.uk not taking it... you'd be better spending the .me.uk reg fee on lottery tickets.

Do you think everyone is going to go out and buy .uk? why didn't businesses go out and rebrand as .eu when it came out if they traded there?
Won't most people think co uk is the main domain and what I have built my brand on and i'm going to stay with that.

They're going to have no choice but to buy it - it'll be cheaper to pay the £10 than to risk having someone else use it against them / try to sell it to them later.

They're going to have no choice but to buy it - it'll be cheaper to pay the £10 than to risk having someone else use it against them / try to sell it to them later.

100% correct.

From Nominet's perspective, it's the perfect protection racket.

The threat of a competitor ending up with a confusingly similar, potentially better domain if you don't shell out the £10 is a massive incentive to grab the .uk, even if it's ONLY to block this scenario i.e. you have no interest in or need for the domain.

The chances of the .co.uk not taking their option AND the .org.uk not taking it... you'd be better spending the .me.uk reg fee on lottery tickets.

I think you're crazy.

If one of the domains is owned by a domainer your chances are probably close to 0.

Otherwise I wouldn't think it crazy if you punted on 20 me.uks you might get 2 or 3 .uks

If only the co.uk is registered then your chances are very good. Out of 20 Id expect maybe 5 upwards.

Of course it depends if the domains are inhabited by live up to date sites and owners.

Again, I wont be shocked if the current release mechanism changes. They certainly couldn't have the same rule for the ll.co.uk domains, that would be absolutely outrageous.

I think you're crazy.

If one of the domains is owned by a domainer your chances are probably close to 0.

Otherwise I wouldn't think it crazy if you punted on 20 me.uks you might get 2 or 3 .uks

If only the co.uk is registered then your chances are very good. Out of 20 Id expect maybe 5 upwards.

Of course it depends if the domains are inhabited by live up to date sites and owners.

Again, I wont be shocked if the current release mechanism changes. They certainly couldn't have the same rule for the ll.co.uk domains, that would be absolutely outrageous.

He mentioned premium domains - you're not going to find a premium domain where the .org.uk isn't taken anyway so you're going to need to get past two people not wanting/not knowing. Its just not happening.

If you're going to try and buy .me.uk's that match up to high value phrases I would say there is absolutely no way you're going to get anywhere close to 2 or 3 out of 20.

He mentioned premium domains - you're not going to find a premium domain where the .org.uk isn't taken anyway so you're going to need to get past two people not wanting/not knowing. Its just not happening.

If you're going to try and buy .me.uk's that match up to high value phrases I would say there is absolutely no way you're going to get anywhere close to 2 or 3 out of 20.

There were a lot of premium org.uks not registered.

When I say premium, they are premium in the co.uk form, in the org.uk not so much..

But if they org.uk turns in .uk, then suddenly they become pretty attractive.

Of course it depends if the domains are inhabited by live up to date sites...

I don't see how Nominet can justify that approach to be honest, L'Oreal are going to be well pissed off with that decision, see no sites at these addresses:

fragrance.co.uk
haircare.co.uk
hairstyle.co.uk
shampoo.co.uk
skin.co.uk
skincare.co.uk
toiletries.co.uk
wrinkle.co.uk

Regarding rights based on age, well the logic here should be clear, the oldest registration should get it. If .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk and .ltd.uk had never been options, and .uk had simple existed from the start, then all the oldest registrants would have been the first to whatever word they plumbed for.

I don't see how Nominet can justify that approach to be honest, L'Oreal are going to be well pissed off with that decision, see no sites at these addresses:

fragrance.co.uk
haircare.co.uk
hairstyle.co.uk
shampoo.co.uk
skin.co.uk
skincare.co.uk
toiletries.co.uk
wrinkle.co.uk

Regarding rights based on age, well the logic here should be clear, the oldest registration should get it. If .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk and .ltd.uk had never been options, and .uk had simple existed from the start, then all the oldest registrants would have been the first to whatever word they plumbed for.

I meant, the likelyhood the oldest registrant will take up the option is increased if they have a live/active site.

I wasn't commenting on the actual release mechanism should be given to active sites.

Theres lots of domains that I have approached owners for over the years whom didn't realise they owned them or you couldn't get hold of the owner for so I'm sure said same domains won't be looking to register the .uk

I think this the general train of thought on this thread is incorrect. Granted I've only learnt about this today, but it seems that it will only apply to domains registered before July 2013, so if you buy up tons of .me.uk domains today, they won't be entitled to second in line etc and would be a case of first come first serve if the first in line doesn't take up the option.

I have a question though and unsure if this has been confirmed, but if you buy up an existing owned domain as it is first in line due to original age of registration, will you be entitled given you are a new owner; do you think Nominet will include this restriction? I ask because I was going to buy a 5 letter domain (.co.uk) but the .me.uk was registered first before it, and might be my opportunity to pick it up cheaper than the .co.uk and get first rights to the .uk?

Under the current proposal, you can buy domains that qualify for .uk and you will then get the .uk when launched.

Who knows if that'll change or not - I bought a domain for 5 figures recently and have left it in the old owners Nominet account/ownership until we are 100% on that being the case - it would be sickening to see it changed to 'longest current owner' or similar (which in this case would give the .uk to another acorn member who owns the .org.uk :D)

The July 2013 date was the cutoff point for determining affected Gov names, not a general cutoff point.

My main business .co.uk domain doesn't have an owner for the .me.uk or .org.uk domain. I have every intention of taking the .uk but would you recommend I buy the others too just to cover myself?

If the 'change of ownership' could factor, that surely will destroy the market for trading the domains at the moment then, especially high value ones. Glad I didn't buy one the other day now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom