Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Where's The Money? - The Sequal

Where's The Money?

• Flipping to Domainers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Affiliate Marketing

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Selling to End Users

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Getting Out of UK Space

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Getting Out of the Industry

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Do you remember this thread it asked the question "Where's The Money?"

Trying to get my head around these algo changes and potential introduction of .uk extension I am once again asking:

Where's The Money?

In the last poll developing affiliate sites did well. Some seasoned members said then that thin affiliate site would ultimately suffer, lo and behold that's pretty much what happened.

Selling to end users also did well, is the end user market on hold whilst the .uk debate rages on?

I think we can accept emd's have been devalued by G, .co.uk, .org.uk and dare I say .me.uk could lose their appeal overnight and the only safe way forward is to buy a made up word in .com extension, develop it into large brand and have an exit plan.

Any Thoughts?

Last edited:
Said this elsewhere, but I think it applies:

I made more in September through an affiliate site than I have made from 'domaining' since I started.

I still believe affiliate sites are better than flipping, selling domains or 'getting out'.

I'm 21 and I know that I will never... ever... accept working for someone else for the rest of my life. Unless it is vocational. I have a lot of respect for those who do good with their work.

We need another option for 'non-affiliate, non-adsense income earning websites' :)

We need another option for 'non-affiliate, non-adsense income earning websites' :)

If I figure out how to do it I will add it!

Think he may be talking about ecommerce/dropship type sites, digital downloads or lead generation.

Last edited:
I am on my phone so will add more options if I can tomorrow. Be sure to come back and vote.

At every stage

Catching > Flipping > Selling to end user > End user developed

someone is making money, some are high volume - low margin, some are low volume - high margin.

The 'selling to end user' section seems to get the most praise on here, especially when it is a £xx,xxx sale. All those repeat reg fees and purchase costs of the ones that don't sell seem to be glossed over.

In my view catching and flipping are constant, repeat effort for individually a small reward. Finding an end user and selling for £xx,xxx is great but they are very few and far between in the grand scheme.

The developed website however gives repeat income which can be £xx,xxx or £xxx,xxxx or even more, every single year. It may take longer to get to and doesn't have the same kudos as a quick sale for £xx,xxx but after developing it you have something bringing in an income week after week, month after month, but that can also be sold to a much great market than an undeveloped domain and for much more.

Does anyone know how to add additional options on the poll?

Money will stay in development... The old scenario of being early enough in the game to has become pretty much defunct as a sustainable business plan..? more are aware of what the web can do for a business, search engines smarter and one particular companies dominance has meant new unregged products are harder to find, emd’s and generics have less appeal, and being at “G's” whim all pretty much put paid to anything else…

For a Domainer (Not a developer) there is still money to be had in staying ahead of the game. That does mean .com in general.

Keep abreast of what markets are opening-up (judge the outlets) and you can still be pretty much ahead when it comes to domains.

I still get a great deal of personal satisfaction - when you've latched on to a new market, put your thinking cap on, spent a day or two drilling down. Then found a year or two later most of the other extensions taken. I know thats not a sale but, it makes domaining worthwhile at both a personal satisfaction level and usually a monetary rewarding one.

You'll probably already be too late for the Key Term - but that dosen't stop you looking at how the product or service will enter the market and under what sort of guises (hope that makes sense)

And of course rule No1 - keep it short and sweet - a bit of word art doesn't go amiss either at a .com level

Last edited:
Great post Bailey. Can i just ask, what's your opinion on hyphenated domains in the .com space? yay or nay...

Domaining is a bit like a ponzi scheme which is now nearing the top of the triangle. The ones who tell you that a new domainer can make money are near the top of the triangle and clinging onto the hope that they're high enough to cash out at the end.

Last edited:
Interesting that 7 people have voted for getting out of the industry, I suppose if you have taken a big hit and lost your income then you would want to get out.

Nonsense binny. If you aren't making money you're either not trying hard enough or you're missing a trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom