Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Good assessment of why SEO is basically DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rusty brick does have a habit of over egging things to make a story. I do like to read him though.

Further reading suggests that he "may" have added some of the quotation marks himself:

This seems to have come from a WebmasterWorld posting, not a first-person account of someone who was at the talk. I think attribution to that effect would be appropriate, since the lede makes it seem as though it's been confirmed.

Also, the WebmasterWorld posting has "jarring and julting" - misspelling and all - not in quotations, so it's unclear if the author is quoting Cutts directly or if he's paraphrasing. I used to work as a journalist. If I ever pulled something like, I'd be fired - and rightly so.

Maybe you don't consider yourself a journalist, but you can't just post stuff without confirming facts like this and expect not to get flamed. I'm sure you're generating lots of traffic with this post, but you're also messing up a lot of people's day. I'm not saying this isn't accurate. You just clearly don't know whether this is what Cutts actually said. (And by judging his response, it isn't).

I don't understand, even if they were working on incorporating new signals and what not, why can't they just refresh the data every month?

Surely they realise that the longer time there is inbetween data refreshes, the more spam can crop up before they get rid of it. It's been almost 3 months since the last penguin refresh and spam has started cropping up the SERPs like nobody's business. It's kind of like plaque building on your teeth - it still needs cleaning every now and then!

To put it simply seo is not dead, and it wont be for a long time to come.

The reason Google values links and uses them as such a contributing factor in their ranking algorithms is because they represent another source approving or recommending your site - similar to the way that a university paper would show its sources and other studies that are relevant to the readers research / interests.

Now, ever since the search engines started people have been trying to "game" the system so that their website outranks others. It started with keyword & meta stuffing, link farms & duplicate content, it worked very well for a while as did the next few "generations" of seo including the most recent, which was link hoarding (think scrapebox, xrummer, seonuke ect). Now is just another generation of seo techniques that are reaching their expiry date.

Its fairly easy for Google to spot websites that have gained 10,000 links overnight from forums / blog comments / directories / spam sites and even easier if they all have the same anchor text and destination url.

People were so focused on their one and only keyword e.g. "car insurance" that they forgot to make it look natural. You linked thousands of times to your homepage with the same anchor text thousands of times - think, whats the odds of thousands of different webmasters using the same anchor text and all linking to the same page... Zero? Remember Google is thinking the same thing and they will punish you for it.

You need to distribute links to multiple pages on your site using a range of anchor texts over a sustained time period. When a visitor links to your page with anchor text they are giving the most accurate description of your site in it, this is why google has recently started changing the title tag in searches for sites with accurate anchor text links from multiple reputable sources.

You should also link your site to other relevant sites, for example if you owned a site that talked about "car insurance" outbound links to other highly reputable sites such as insurance associations, the dsa, police insurance pages etc will give your site more weight as a source of valuable information.

I am running tests on my own sites which are isolated on dedicated ips & servers to see if it is possible to get your competitors site banned / severely punished by google. Results arn't complete yet but out of my 5 test sites (all of which are virtually perfect onsite, had atleast 1 years age with plenty of unique content + match all of googles webmaster guidelines), 3 were knocked back into the hundreds for their main keywords, 1 uneffected, 1 removed from index. Still testing if googles warning in webmaster tools and replying to them makes any difference.

So to round it up, You should treat your site link a university paper - write excellent content that is written for people, then they will share with others in the form of a link, not just to the homepage but other pages that they found usefull, google will spot it and reward you with improved rankings for multiple keywords - your readers gave a diverse set of links & everybody is happy, especially you because you are outranking your competitors who are stuck in their own ways. As long as google search is alive it will have natural search results because they give so much value to the user, more so than paid adverts ever could in 99% non commercial of searches. If people just wanted to have paid results why is yellow pages website failing so badly?

If anybody want me to go into more detail about any parts of this just say and I will explain all day if I have to :)

Cheers,

WW.

You should treat your site link a university paper - write excellent content that is written for people, then they will share with others in the form of a link, not just to the homepage but other pages that they found usefull, google will spot it and reward you with improved rankings for multiple keywords - your readers gave a diverse set of links & everybody is happy

Google have been saying that for 10 years, its just many webmasters would rather find a short cut, a lazy way, a workaround, anything except having to do the dreaded legitimate website. Sometimes they go to such lengths they spend more effort and more money than they would if they just did things properly in the first place.

Should/Shouldn't and Fair/Unfair don't really come into it.. Their search engine, their rules. It's business. Doesn't matter how much ppl complain, best thing you can do is adapt, and expand marketing into other areas so it's not such a loss if/when serps change.

Should/Shouldn't and Fair/Unfair don't really come into it.. Their search engine, their rules. It's business. Doesn't matter how much ppl complain, best thing you can do is adapt, and expand marketing into other areas so it's not such a loss if/when serps change.

I work in seo for a living, finally my clients are learning why my prices are higher than the allot of the competition. If anything these Google updates have just exposed those who are doing poor quality seo work, (a shockingly high percent).

I know of a large ecommerce site that were employing £xx,xxx per month seo consultancies to build directory links and forum spamming - surprise surprise they were hit .

Frankly the Google update has done wonders for my business as others are fleeing their seo agencies / consultants by the bus load.

I make the following promise to all my clients when acquiring them high quality links. Following this should also help you get quality links.

No Directory links (unless extremely relative - with clients permission only)
No Blog commenting
No Link wheels
No Forum submitting
No Sitewide links
No Article directories
No "auto generated" sites
No Link exchanges
No Sites that publicly advertise link sales
No Sites with poor incoming link profiles
No Sites with high OBL's
No Sites with links to pharma, gamblimg, warez, link farms or adult (unless client specifies otherwise)
- Links will come from sites that are related to your sites niche only
- Links will be from sites that are older than 1 year (unless client specifies otherwise).
- Sites that are hosted on unique IP's are preferred, links from multiple sites on single ip's wont be bought without the clients consent.
- Links can be Geographicly targeted to areas of Worldwide / Continents / Countries / Cities / Towns
- Demographic Targeting is available ( Age, gender, income ect).
Non repetitive anchor text and tag distribution (this is key with the latest google updates).

And yes, gaining this way is extremely difficult but the results speak for themselves.

Cheers,

WW.

I make the following promise to all my clients when acquiring them high quality links. Following this should also help you get quality links.

Code:
No Directory links (unless extremely relative - with clients permission only)
No Blog commenting
No Link wheels
No Forum submitting
No Sitewide links
No Article directories
No "auto generated" sites
No Link exchanges
No Sites that publicly advertise link sales 
No Sites with poor incoming link profiles
No Sites with high OBL's
No Sites with links to pharma, gamblimg, warez, link farms or adult (unless client specifies otherwise)
- Links will come from sites that are related to your sites niche only
- Links will be from sites that are older than 1 year (unless client specifies otherwise).
- Sites that are hosted on unique IP's are preferred, links from multiple sites on single ip's wont be bought without the clients consent. 
- Links can be Geographicly targeted to areas of Worldwide / Continents / Countries / Cities / Towns 
- Demographic Targeting is available ( Age, gender, income ect).
Non repetitive anchor text and tag distribution (this is key with the latest google updates).

Isn't this your site?

http://www.seogenius.co.uk/services/

Advertising those very services.

Isn't this your site?

http://www.seogenius.co.uk/services/

Advertising those very services.

Granted, that is a very old site though (which I had forgotten to take down). At the time that that website was online those methods were very legitimate methods of link building (for clients on low budgets), seo is ever changing as is ppc & social media. I don't use any of the methods listed above and focus entirely on quality not quantity links.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:
Granted, that is a very old site though (which I had forgotten to take down). At the time that that website was online those methods were very legitimate methods of link building (for clients on low budgets), seo is ever changing as is ppc & social media. I don't use any of the methods listed above and focus entirely on quality not quantity links.

Cheers,

Steve

It's less than 18 months old?!

IMO this just highlights the garbage that SEOs come out with day-in, day-out.

You can't advertise one method of 'high quality link building' then when it gets penguin'd/panda'd deny all knowledge, blame all the crap SEOs and reinvent yourself. (Although some do, a certain non-negative SEO company is now on their 5th domain name in 18 months - 301'ing away from the penalties and still promoting their whiter than white methods)

typical acorn domains. Post lots of useful information for free so members can build high quality links, learn efficient seo, avoid poor quality seo methods & penalties - and I get flamed. I don't know why I bother.

typical acorn domains. Post lots of useful information for free so members can build high quality links, learn efficient seo, avoid poor quality seo methods & penalties - and I get flamed. I don't know why I bother.

Oh look, you removed your self-promotional link from your signature for that flounce.

Here it is:

high quality seo services available - pm for more info

It's still visible in your other posts too but I'm sure that's not why you were posting the helpful info, seems funny you removed it for that post though :rolleyes:

Last edited:
seo will never die

Is SEO dead?
No. As long as there are search engines that produce results on what they deem to be the merit of the site, there will be SEO - ways to make your site fit with whatever those engines are using to rank websites.

Are some methods of SEO in terminal decline?
Yes. Link building methods that were generally considered acceptable/low risk a few years ago are now unacceptable / high risk.

Is the SEO industry dead?
No. There will always be the demand for people who can help a website rank well. At the same time there are plenty of SEO businesses that will find there methods increasingly ineffective and so will need to adapt or die.

I found the original article quite stimulating. I read a lot about seo and there were some things that made me think outside the box that i was in.

One thing that has always puzzled me is that Google has often not exactly done what it says. For instance sites that were affected by Panda but which actually had good content, while other rubbish sites seemed to be unpunished. It says link buying will harm your site but we see loads of sites that have bought links doing so with great success. Two things strike me from the article. What google says now may be more about what will happen in a few years time. So for instance google gives a hint about bounce rate and loads of people say - my bounce rate is high and I still rank well, Google must be wrong/I can get away with it. Then next year Google does something about it and those sites with a high bounce rate do suffer. Secondly is the concept of misdirection. These two concepts taken together can help explain why with every theory about what Google is doing now there seem to be about a million sites that don't fit with the theory.

PS I'm only half way through the article - there's quite a lot to take in!

I dont think I read the same webmasters as you as im sure it should you can still have links as long as they are good and related to your site

It is what SEO become that's the problem. In reality it's backlinks that has changed. Those very things people were begging for, cheating for, lying for, automating tools for and basically underpinning the sites success for.

Google has created a monster called links and it doesn't know how to fix it any more.
And in reality and sadly - they do not want to try...

Read this . Larry and Sergei don't want SEO, they want you to pay themf for clicks. the more they can shake out of the boat, the more people have to pay them.

http://www.100kblueprint.com/2012/08/seo-is-theft-seo-is-dead/

the google update(s) could easily take another week to settle. it may turn out that the fallout is not anywhere near as bad.

im not worrying just yet, although I am making contingency plans if I need to take action later in the month.

SEO isn't dead, we just need to be much more selective about marketing and link development.

SEO is never going to die. You evolve or your sites die.

Sure, maybe they will completely destroy link building, but SEO is so generic it covers all sorts - What about creating an online buzz with a sensation article? What about link bait? What about on page optimisation? etc etc etc...

SEO will never die, the phrase 'seo is dead' is a non-starter :D

A better title could be 'Is SEO as we know it dead?' or 'Are current accepted SEO methods totally out of date?'

Of course SEO is dead - or at least it will be before long.

Larry Page has said he views free organic clicks as theft, they think you should pay Google for every click you get.

It's like advertising - if you want an ad in the paper you have to pay, if you want an ad on the radio or telly you have to pay, however you want to get your business in front of customers you have to pay.

Google is just another platform to connect customers with businesses, and if you want Google to put you in front of customers you're gonna have to pay.

All they need to do is keep inflating the ad space, the you tube results, the image results, etc on the 1st page and there won't be any organic results left on there.

So ironically really generics and EMDs will become more valuable if you want to drive people to your website, since it'll have to be something they can remember.

Typically when searching for products online my assumption is that the majority of buyers are looking for the cheapest option.

Brands tend to be expensive.

If Google is pushing brands to the top of search results, searchers in many cases are not getting what are they are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days till Domain Summit

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom