Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

WP directory plugin/themes advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a lot of help with this from Howie (Fish) yesterday, much appreciated mate, he went through the cpanel etc, and it appears that the problem is something to do with you not being able to have multiple accounts for each domain, because each add on domain is a subdomain of the main account domains, something like that.

Even with what Howie told me, I'm still unsure how this works, because if each domain is a subdomain, then they would have to be displasyed as wedding-photographers/mainaccountdomain.co.uk but wedding-photographers.co.uk isn't a subdomain but is reachable directly at that straight url, rather than a subdomain of the main account name, very confusing :confused:, I mean, how can HostGator say hos unlimited domains, but you can only have sub domains, when clearly you can have more than a subdomain as you can go direct to the domain instead of it being a subdomain?

I deleted www.wedding-photographers.co.uk site last night, reinstalled it and made a basic site again, logged out, then upon login, that again takes me to wedding-photographers.co.uk/wp-login.php instead of wedding-photographers.co.uk/wp-admin

So, after logging in, it stays on the wp-login page which is blank, I then have to manually go to the wp-admin page which then takes me to my WP control panel. I also set up a member account on the site to see if it's any different for someone who sign up, but no, it's the same problem, so even if someone registered to submit a listing, they would just get the blank page after logging in, fecking pita, so not useable as a site as it is :mad:

Something else I'll try today is delete the site again, and install StudioPress on it and see if that gives me the normal wp-admin login like on my main account domain which has StudioPress on WP on that domain, if it works, then maybe it's a problem with PremiumPress on HostGator, and then I can go to the PremiumPress support forums to see if there are any known issues.

Howie suggested I get a reseller hosting plan or server of some sort so that each domain will be in an account of it's own, rather than under the account of the main domain, and says this type of hosting can be quite expensive.

Thing is, I don't really want a reseller hosting plan costing loads as I wont have hundreds of sites to host, so it may be overkill for me having something like that.

Just had a look at Heart's reseller plan for £30 a month here:

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/reseller-hosting

Damn, that much for hosting, I've only ever used free hosting before for my html sites, so wouldn't dream of paying £30 a month for something that I probably wont get much use out of.

It says it has WordPress and other scripts in it's CGI Script Library on Heart, but I assume that means you have to install them yourself, it doesn't appear to have Fantastico to install it for you?

Anyone got any other cheap reseller type hosting plans they know of that are reliable and have Fantastico for installing WP and other scripts?

The plans don't need all techy stuff like email features, website statistics etc, that's stuff that I will never use, it just needs to have the ability to host unlimited domains in case I want to add more over time, and have Fantastico, no other techy stuff required.

Last edited:
Test the login with twenty-ten default theme or any other you have. I use cpanel add on domains on all my installs and have never had an issue.
99% sure your problem comes from a mods your theme has done to the login

If you want send me a copy of the theme and I'll load it up on a test site rule out if the problems with the way your host redirects stuff.

Wont be able to do that mate, apparently, you only get 3 installs with this theme, and I've used 2 already, have to enter a key code each time after it's installed before you can see and use any of the set up settings.

Wont be able to do that mate, apparently, you only get 3 installs with this theme, and I've used 2 already, have to enter a key code each time after it's installed before you can see and use any of the set up settings.
Sounds like it must be really heavily modded theme if they control installs best get onto there support safest way to sort it out.

Actually, I got it wrong, I thiought it was 3 installs maximum, it appears that you can only download it 3 times from their site, the download page says:

File to download:
DirectoryPress
You have 2 downloads remaining.
Link expires on: February 03, 2011.

So if you PM me your email address I'll email the zip file to you :)

try setting one up a client one as well from your end see how it works

Can you enable the register page so I can register an account? :)

OK you can reg now mate. I get exactly the same issue as you though so its not a hosting thing I wouldn't think.
Goto be the customizations they have made to the login pages I'll see if I can see anything I'm no php expert by any means though.

OK you can reg now mate.

Still can't see any "register" button on the site :)

I get exactly the same issue as you though so its not a hosting thing I wouldn't think.

Interesting that you have the same issue with login as I did on a different host, weird.

[edit]

Now got the register link.

Last edited:
Yes, still doing the same thing as a member on your host as well, takes me to a blank wp-login.php page after logging in, bloody thing.

Definatley a theme issue rather than something you have done on the install.
I'll have proper look through the code later if I have chance but they have so many custom functions gona be hard to track down.
I'd submit a bug report with them in the mean time or see if its a known issue in there forums

Ok mate, thanks for the help so far, I'll register on the forum after dinner and see if they can offer any advice regards any possible bug, cheers.

Thanks Jim, but just sent a support ticket to them to see what they have to say, so I'll wait until they get back to me first.

They don't work weekends, only 10:00am - 5:00pm Monday to Friday, worse hours than Nominet :rolleyes:, typical of a UK company not to offer weekend support, I assumed PremiumPress was a US outfit as all sites like that seem to be.

Fair enough. Im sure it will be something either fairly simple yet obscure knowing hostgator. As I say offer is open. I do know what im doing in case thats what your worried about (Supporting other peoples websites is a huge part of my business).

Im not 100% sure what happened with Premiumpress. It definaltly used to be a guy called Mark Fail based a few miles away from me but all of a sudden they seem to change and adopt a very American way do operating. Mark still works there but i dont know if they were bought or just grew or what.

Had a reply from support, but he doesn't sound too bright:

Hi

If you wanna access your dashboard, just login to wp-login.php after youve redirected to my-account page or to anywhere, browse directly to http://wedding-photographers.co.uk/wp-admin

Errrm, that's exactly the problem I told them I was having, it's just a bloody blank page when you login at http://wedding-photographers.co.uk/wp-login.php

So their solution is, ok, then go to http://wedding-photographers.co.uk/wp-admin ffs :rolleyes:

Div bastards :mad:, that's exactly what I told them in my support ticket, which is something it shouldn't be doing, taking you to a blank page.

Last edited:
Sent support a reply to their stupid suggestion yesterday, and another support worker has sent me an email, which says:

Hi,

These issues are fixed in the 6.0 version of directorypress. Beta is already released and 6.0 stable is on it's way by next moth. On 6.0 if you'll log in as admin youll go to the wordpress dashboard, and if youll log in as a member, youll be on the 'My Account' page. Blank pages are resolved. My apologies for this issues you are having.

As far as I know, if you buy version 5.0 as I have, I should get a free upgrade to version 6.0, sure I saw that somewhere on another site of theirs yesterday when I was looking for other directory scripts for WP, but now have to wait for the new version to come out before I can use it, pain in the arse :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom