Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

1and1 update ....... beware !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you spoken to trading standards. They would be interested.

I believe I may have mentioned the info below previously in a different thread.

There are several things to remember when dealing with 1&1.

When transferring a .uk domain delete the domain ASAP from your account after it has been successfully transferred, after transfer the domain still shows up in your account, this I believe only relates to .uk domains.

All domains on 1&1 are set to auto renew, there is no way to switch this off. If you do not want to renew a domain, delete the domain at least 14 days before the renewal date, after 14 days it is too late. No you can delete online previously you had to print off a form and fax or post the form.

Deleting your payment details in most cases does not work, if you delete your payment details, records are still kept by 1&1. Even if you change your payment details, in my case from my debit card to a credit card the debit card was still charged even though the chosen method was my credit card which was showing up in my account as the my chosen method of payment.

When you have to speak to customer services they do not seem to understand any of your concerns.

Nominet took an interest in my complaint, all resolved nicely.

Worth speaking to them.

I didn't ring, just emailed. They just referred me to OFT.

As an update, I'm still getting invoices through the post, but have had no response from 1and1 complaints in 2 weeks ...

It wouldn't suprise me at all if Nominet weren't interested. Interesting comment from Ratboy, I wonder if it the registrar you complained about was tiny and easy to lean on, and not one of their golf buddies.

As mentioned OFT (formerly trading standards) would be very interested, this could be viewed as fraud. I bet one phone call from them to 1 & 1 would get them squirming. I got a call from OFT about a domain name of mine, they were very handed and the police were already investigating. The domain name in question which had operated the fraud wasn't mine, it was the .com of the name I owned in co.uk and he contacted me accidentally.

I posted some time ago my dealings with 1and1, their response to my 'mini-gun' like tactics was to detag my name and delete my account.

Whats strange is my account was deleted (oct) a some months before my domain was renewed (feb), then some months after this they detagged (apr), what was going on there I do not know.

Co-incidentally charge-back via your credit card, this really upsets them :)

Last edited:
My recent mailings to 1and1 have been ignored.

I received an Aravato demand today.

So I emailed them......

I have lost count of the times I have informed 1and1 they are illegally billing. They are trying to charge me for renewals on domain names that were transferred away from them over 2 years ago now, and were subsequently renewed with their legal and legitimate registrar.

I have documented evidence from the current registrar of the names that this is the case. Despite my communications, 1and1 have chosen to ignore the facts, illegally bill, and have now handed over the situatuation, further wasting my time and yours.

I am 100% certain I have no obligation to pay these false charges, and 1and1 should admit their error.

Further demands for payment will leave me little option other than to refer the matter to my solicitor on the grounds of continued harrassment by 1and1.

All documentation and evidence supporting the fact that 1and1 have no legal right to impose such charges upon my account is available upon request.

They replied ......

Thank you for your e-mail. I have investigated the matter regarding the cancellation on your account.

1&1’s terms and conditions state that unless an account is cancelled either in writing or via their online cancellation, 14 days prior to an invoice being raised, they will automatically renew an account if they do not receive a request for cancellation and the customer will be liable for the full balance.

The invoice was raised on September 2009, if you have any evidence supporting your cancellation before this date then please do not hesitate to forward the information on.

So I have replied .....

It is not a case of cancellation. The domains for which thay are trying to charge a renewal fee, were transferred away from 1and1 2 years beforehand so 1and1 were physically unable to renew them, not being the legal registrar. Nominet can prove this. The new registrar can prove this.

I will raise this matter with nominet once more and contact the office of fair trading. In the meantime, please let me have 1and1's solicitors details.

HELP !!!!

Arvato 'have put a hold on collections' until 21st dec whilst i resolve the matter with 1and1.

Havent I already tried that one??

So, to recap .....

Domains registered with 1and1 2 years ago. Sold 18 months ago. IPSTAG updated to new registrar (123-Reg).

Recently, 1and1 invoice for their renewal. Obviously, I challenge as they are not registrar etc.

Arvato Finance get involved (total is about £300). I explain situation to them.

I contact 1and1 ([email protected]) on 4th Dec and forward them documentation kindly provided by 123-Reg showing a) the initial transfer and b) the recent renewal.

No Response from 1and1 whatsoever.

Yesterday, I received the arvato solicitor/collection agent threat. I forward them 123-reg stuff.

Again I contact 1and1.

Again no response from them.

Arvato did, however, respond with the following .....

"Thank you for your email and the information provided.

I have reviewed this information but whilst this may display reneaw/transfer information for specific domain names, this does not show that the account with the creditor 1&1 Internet Ltd. was actually terminated/closed.

Just to clarify, you can have a number of contracts open on a 1&1 account. Contracts can be for renewal of domains, web hosting or any number of thier other services offered and can all be run alongside each other under the same account number.

Contracts can be cancelled individually or the full account can be terminated, effectively ending all contracts under the account. Whist the domains, as you say may have been transferred over to another hosting/supply service, we need proof by means of a cancellation confirmation showinf that the account was actually cancelled.

The creditor has referred this file for collection so as far as they are concerned, the amount is due and we have no indication that this account has been effectively cancelled within the guidelines stipulated in the terms and conditions which govern the contract/account.

Unless you can proove the account was cancelled or we get confirmation from the creditor to stop our pursuit of the balance, the amount will remain outstanding and pursuable. "

So, basically what they are claiming is that even though the domains were transferred away, the IPSTAG changed and the names renewed elsewhere, they (1and1) can still charge a renewal fee because the names remained in my account.

I am now going to inform Nominet (not sure they'll be that interested though), OFT and prime my solicitor.

I will also put a post on my blog which I'll ask you all to link to.

Any other suggestions???

a response from 1and1

Thank you for contacting us.

I apologize but you would need to remit payment for
the balance to AFS. Once a balance is sent to collections
we cannot remove the balance. I again apologize for any
inconvenience this has caused.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,
John Keefer
Customer Service
1&1 Internet Limited

Mate you are banging your head of a brick wall, old saying round here "you can't educate pork".

I have now complained to nominet and consumer direct. Let's see what they say.

Some progress.

Nominet are investigating.

Consumer direct have referred the case to trading standards, and suggest approaching the financial ombudsman too.

1and1 are still making demands for payment even though they have now amitted that the domains may have been ipstag updated directly with nominet.

I could write a novel and get a mini series out of this !!!

Nominet have got involved and have shown 1and1 the error of their ways.

So finally, an admittance that they f#cked up. It's only taken 6 months.

However, Arvato are now saying they must be paid, and 1and1 will then refund me.

I've told them to take a running jump. Under FSI regulations, they have to prove I owe money, which clearly I do not.

Onwards ...............

You should definitely see if you can put it as a feature in the domain magazine that's floating around - as think you'd be helping people stay away from them by sounds of it!

Just had this is from Arvato.

Thank you for your e-mail. You can dispute your account with 1&1 direct and we can hold the account whilst you do so. Alternatively if you are refusing to make payment then we will note your comments on the account and the collection process will continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom