Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

6 PAB Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There are six PAB candidates this year:

http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/16909_PAB_election_statements_2007.pdf

Andrew Bennett - www.whois-search.com (me)

Piers Daniell - www.fluidata.co.uk

Mark Healey - www.kcom.com

David Restall - www.iirc.net

Jarrod Robinson - www.pipexgroup.com

Michael Toth - www.lively.co.uk

There are four places available on the PAB and I would encourage you to read every statement carefully before voting.

I am also grateful to Seb, Hazel and Jason for not restanding (after 4 years) and giving others a chance.

Im sure that one of the candidates will lose votes because of the person(s) who have seconded them.

Im sure that one of the candidates will lose votes because of the person(s) who have seconded them.

You could be right. I'm already having second thoughts about Jarrod Robinson :)

Hazel

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

It is an interesting yet important concept picking a seconder and proposer.

Do you go for people with the same background as you i.e. domainers? ......Or do you go for ex-PAB / current PAB members to back you?......... Or do you try and go for one large member and one smaller yet well known member?

At the end of the day does it really matter? You are being elected as you and you have to represent every stakeholder. However it is clear that it can help in getting you elected.

When Jarrod (Pipex) backed Peter Gradwell in last years board election it helped him gain votes:

http://www.nominet.org.uk/governance/board/election/

Maybe we will see Pipex backing Angus at the Board election in May?

However I agree it's an interesting switch in seconders from last years PAB election:

http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/16945_2006_PAB_election_archive.pdf

Use your votes wisely in the forthcoming election...

Candidate Mark Healey says in his DRS response:
Mark Healey's DRS response said:
Question 2: Please give us your feedback on our proposal that the DRS should include the following as examples of things that are not necessarily evidence of abuse:
· a general offer to resell a domain name
· sale of traffic (i.e. visitors to the domain name)
· registering many domains

I believe that all of these are in fact examples of things that are evidence of abuse.

and candidate David Restall says on Nom-Steer:

David Restall's email of 6 March 2007 said:
1. In what way do you see the namespace being abused?

Short and sweet this one, dropcatching, hoarding, PPC and 'investing'.

Clearly these are just quotes, taken out of context, and you should of course evaluate each candidate on their full merits before casting your vote.

Is it possible that non-catchers, who happen to be permitted to vote, may vote for either of the above in an attempt to level the playing field and reel the catchers back in?

Is it possible that non-catchers, who happen to be permitted to vote, may vote for either of the above in an attempt to level the playing field and reel the catchers back in?

That would imply the non-catchers have an interest in domains as well
so the

bits probably wouldnt go down well either :)

Use your votes wisely in the forthcoming election...

Candidate Mark Healey says in his DRS response:
:
Originally Posted by Mark Healey's DRS response
Question 2: Please give us your feedback on our proposal that the DRS should include the following as examples of things that are not necessarily evidence of abuse:

I believe that all of these are in fact examples of things that are evidence of abuse.

He's said as much on nom-steer today. His view being that if you don't hold a domain with a 'passion' for it's use then you shouldn't have it! He's obviously entitled to his opinion, but in my view it's pretty naive. The UK namespace has moved on markedly in the last few years, to be more in line with the .com /.de etc. Domains should be seen as business assets.

Isn't there a case here for misinterpreting passion for commercial enterprise? All three cases he cite as 'evidence of abuse' come into that. Sure there could be improvements, and parking companies are working on better contextual templates. But within the framework of DRS policy & procedure? What then, Mr or Mrs I M perfect-for-the-domain come along and say, 'well we could do much better than that' give it here. Also remember parking is a useful intermediary step between acquisition & development.

S

So the polls close at 5pm today... Are the results announced this evening or will it be Monday?

He's said as much on nom-steer today. His view being that if you don't hold a domain with a 'passion' for it's use then you shouldn't have it!
S

Some pretty weird, strange and dangerous views still floating around on nom-steer I see!

It is an interesting yet important concept picking a seconder and proposer.

Do you go for people with the same background as you i.e. domainers? ......Or do you go for ex-PAB / current PAB members to back you?......... Or do you try and go for one large member and one smaller yet well known member?

When Jarrod (Pipex) backed Peter Gradwell in last years board election it helped him gain votes

Sorry to come into this debate late but I've been enjoying my last bits of PAB business before freedom ;)

I have always tried to pick new proposers/seconders when I have stood for the PAB. I think I took one of my first ones (I didn't get in first time around) the following year but I never wanted to be allied to any pair of companies too closely.

I have proposed/seconded people in the past.. I've never had a PAB member or their company propose or second me from what I can recall.. although I wouldn't have seen that as a negative thing in any way I don't think that per se will help you much.. I think most people aren't that aware of who'se sitting on the PAB anyway.

There's one no-no as far as I am concerned.. This isn't aimed at anyone as I don't remember who did this, but I would never ever consider having my own company propose or second me.. To me this broadcasts "I have no supporters" (even if you did.. just the impression..)

I like a balance between the proposer and seconder.. this could be small/large or isp/corporate, isp/domainer etc.. just to show you have a broad perspective and support.

That said, I'm not sure having been on the PAB makes me qualified to lecture on the matter.. Andrew's probably better at that.. just my own view :)

Andrew - I'll be back here in 4 yrs reminding you to step down too to make room for new blood :rolleyes:

seb

Seb,

It will be interesting to see who Pipex propose when they get sold.

Hope your going to stand for the board this year? I will second you ;)

In 4 years time I will just be about 30 years old ...... shall have to get a proper job and stop being a student.

Andrew

It will be interesting to see who Pipex propose when they get sold.

I'm not sure who buys them will necessarily make that much difference any plans they have to propose anyone.

Hope your going to stand for the board this year? I will second you ;)

Thanks for the offer. That would certainly be controversial.. :mrgreen:

In 4 years time I will just be about 30 years old ...... shall have to get a proper job and stop being a student.

Some of us had to do that quite a while ago.. :roll:

seb

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom