Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

AMP'ing up your site

Reaction score
I've recently been playing with AMP'ing up a wordpress site or two, and generally tweaking with cloudflare, different caching scripts, stripping out extra files, moving code inline etc (which theme updates undid).

I've had to make some manual tweaks (and email plugin authors with tweaks) but I'm seeing a significant increase in traffic. Almost 50% increase in traffic (and 30% increase in bounce rate), and an increase in the time on-site from about 80 seconds to 110 seconds, and the other from 40 seconds to 55 seconds (average time on site).

I'm still working on removing excess files, and making plugins play nicely, but the only real changes I've made are speed increases and adding AMP.

Anyone else implementing AMP over a mobile responsive only option ?

What plugins do you use? I was looking at this one - https://wordpress.org/plugins/accelerated-mobile-pages/

Was going to install it on a backup on localhost first to mess about with it first as it looks promising. Only problem is I need to be able to display a phone number and also capture form which they don't have at the moment but are apparently will be in an update they're working on.

Also intersting to hear about the traffic increase, when did you notice that only there was a definite change to Googles algo around the 8th and wondered whether that could be a reason?

Does increased traffic = increased revenue, or are you not monetising the site?

I'm in the gym now so can't post links too, but I'm using the base plugin by automatic then an extension config plugin which gives you customisation options, it's by 2 guys who I think have Indian style names.

One siteianr monetised as yet, the other I'm in the process of monetising so no revenue stats yet...

I'm adding AdSense (finally) to the busier one, this week.

I've used automatics AMP plugin with Yoast SEO and Yoast AMP Glue ( combines functionality ) from the days they came out on beta. Can't say for sure about AMP effects as ive not measured it as much as I would other things . Speed improvements are a key indicator to track and can make significant differences in certain scenarios. I've got done alot of split testing for page speed and perceived page speeds over the last year or more, some pretty significant fluctuations to boot.

Page speed, Micro data, Mobile first , AMP and https. If you are not punching in hugely competitive niches/searches and are looking for quick onsite wins in such things as local searches or long tails you'd be stupid to ignore any of it.

I'm using https://ampforwp.com/ this plugin, I didn't look at the Yoast offering, as there were lots of comments about issues with another plugin I use, I can't remember which though :/

https is next on my list, I'm in the process of converting from quantity to quality, quantity isn't paying so well these days, least not in the quantity which suits me.

Which roughly translates as:

"Disappointed in this plugin, he has more problems than advantages. It's better just to create a separate mobile version."

:)

I have tried a few but the best thing for speed and caching I have ever seen with wordpress is when its running the litespeed plugin when hosted on a litespeed enabled server. Simply instantaneous page loads.

AMP is the need of time, especially for SEO. Most of the user do their search on smartphones. This makes the AMP very important. So everybody must use this for the website.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom