Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Dan Commission Update

I think I spoke too soon. Our domains started appearing on Godaddy and afternic today at differing prices to those on dan. One .co.uk domain I looked at is £1500 on dan and £3562 on godaddy??
I've changed the settings back to 'list my domains on Dan only' but that one is still showing for sale even though settings in my dan account show 'not listed'.

NB:Just seen one .co.uk listed at £1250 at dan but £828 on godaddy - I think I'll have to remove all our BINs on Dan - have just sent them a support ticket about this

What is happening is that after a few minutes it forcibly puts the domains back onto the afternic/godaddy network even though you have clicked for them to be not listed.

Last edited:
I would've thought after 4 pages of how bad this service is that people would simply park their own? There are wordpress scripts out there. $5 or less per month for a vps. In actual fact every 10 minutes spent emailing dan is probably costing more than your time is worth, for a third class system, with archaic pricing. People like this should have long gone out of business but sadly it seems domainers will keep them afloat for no reason. It's simple. Godaddy have always been shit. They now own Dan. It's clear how it's going to go. Yet domainers will continue to lap it up and 'suggest' improvements (which will be ignored) to them. I hate this industry 90% of the time nowadays :(

Then we need a sales platform built and run by UK domainers. I am sure transact would be happy to be the preferred payment processor. I like the little chat interface at Dan but there rest - landers, marketplace etc. is a piece of cake. People get greedy as you say and take advantage. I have a lot of UK domains so would be useful to me, perhaps could be expanded to .com etc but initial I suspect UK names would be enough to get it up and running. I'll take a closer look at DAN , just sold one today and not happy about 25% or being part of GD.

We haven't integrated yet - thankfully so haven't had to adjust all the prices. We're sticking with dan though because their system is still very good for uk sales. Sold one yesterday, transferred same day to dan and paid to us today. At the moment that super service is unaffected by the godaddy takeover (apart from comm going to 15%).

What is the super service?

I'm sticking with Dan and have integrated my domains to show on Afternic, GoDaddy and the rest of their network.

I did notice tonight that my names aren't showing up on Afternic or GoDaddy, they were previously, but all I get now when doing a search for any of my domains on Afternic, is this:

"Sorry, no match found"

Same on GoDaddy, searching for pens.uk as an example gives this search result:

"pens.uk is taken
We still might be able to get it for you. See How
Broker Service Fee
€60.99"

Is anyone else who integrated seeing their domains missing?

I've just messaged Dan support.

Cannot see your domains or any of mine on Afternic. I have had the option switched since the start. DAN are about to charge me 25% I am going to refuse citing this as a reason. Prepared to leave them anyway not paying 25% to GD.

I think I spoke too soon. Our domains started appearing on Godaddy and afternic today at differing prices to those on dan. One .co.uk domain I looked at is £1500 on dan and £3562 on godaddy??
I've changed the settings back to 'list my domains on Dan only' but that one is still showing for sale even though settings in my dan account show 'not listed'.

NB:Just seen one .co.uk listed at £1250 at dan but £828 on godaddy - I think I'll have to remove all our BINs on Dan - have just sent them a support ticket about this

What is happening is that after a few minutes it forcibly puts the domains back onto the afternic/godaddy network even though you have clicked for them to be not listed.

I have had a similar experience, I deactivated Afternic for all of my domains on Dan because of this yesterday, I have just logged in and see that they have turned the integration back on, and, for example one of my domains which is listed for £10,000 on Dan is now showing on Afternic for $10,000 and on GoDaddy for £8,258, none of it makes any sense, I have just turned it off again and fingers crossed they don't take it upon themselves to turn it back on again!

I have had a similar experience, I deactivated Afternic for all of my domains on Dan because of this yesterday, I have just logged in and see that they have turned the integration back on, and, for example one of my domains which is listed for £10,000 on Dan is now showing on Afternic for $10,000 and on GoDaddy for £8,258, none of it makes any sense, I have just turned it off again and fingers crossed they don't take it upon themselves to turn it back on again!

I'm on chat to them at the moment as it seems completely random - I have been told our domains will be removed from afternic and that there may be a delay between API with afternic causing them still to appear

It's best to scroll thro' your domains. Whilst most of ours are showing 'not listed' now there are over a 100 showing 'active listing' for afternic - wierd - totally random - they are looking at this now.

Last edited:

It appears they are swapping £ for $ without doing the currency conversion - £8258 is $10k - I suspect pricing all your domains in $ on Dan would solve that

Same here, it has opted me back in to Afternic integration after opting out yesterday, I let Dan support know and mentioned others were having the same problem today, their reply:

I alerted our Dev team right away; no changes were made to your account .

I'm checking regarding your last update about being opted-in to the network again after opting out manually. I'll keep you posted on that.

It appears they are swapping £ for $ without doing the currency conversion - £8258 is $10k - I suspect pricing all your domains in $ on Dan would solve that

Most UK domain names will sell to UK buyers who will expect to see prices in GBP.

Most UK domain names will sell to UK buyers who will expect to see prices in GBP.

Yes I meant as a temporary fix for the pricing discrepancy - btw it is not just .uk names - I have some .coms priced in GBP on Dan but showing the same figure but in USD on GD

The main point is that Dan must have been aware that this problem would arise with multiple currencies not being converted to a dollar price, but presumably didn't care enough to fix it prior to rolling out the changes.

There are places where you can park for peanuts. Domainmanage has been running for a long time. Hell for a year I offered free parking for 200 domains with a for sale page, full listing, even live chat service. Four people used it and were sad when I closed it down. Says it all. People want to use shit services then they want to complain about it. It's just lazy in my book. I wish I could get away with treating people like this and them lapping it up. :) You say 'we go self hosted' yet nobody ever bothered and I doubt they will. If a 'new contender stepped up' nobody would use it. They'd just complain that it's not the old shitty service that they didn't like. The industry is quite parasitic but extremely lazy and increasingly self entitled it seems ;)

Thanks for the plug! This is not a sales pitch just a general observation about marketplaces not auction sites based on having had tens of thousands of domains parked on our system.

Some domainers have realized a perfect solution does not exist, for others the search will never stop.

All I can say is this, its about confidence in your stock. What I consider to be the "professional" domainers are just generally much more confident about the domains they own and are happy to negotiate a sale. They don't fiddle with marketplaces and are content to leave their domains cleanly parked unmolested with no spammy ads or third party interventions, they're not interested in earning $3.83 in parking revenue. They understand that the real money 95% of the time is in true end user sales not domain b2b sales and thus know that most marketplaces are generally full of low ball tyre kickers and that serious buyers will end up on the landing page anyway and make the required offer. They've been successfully using this formula for years and making sales so something must be right.

This is not to say there is some value in have a hands off approach for a 20% commission offered by other services if you are that way inclined but you sill still have to change the tag and initiate the transfer. The perceived value of needing "marketplaces" or your domains will not be found does not really exist, the true end users always seek you out which is why we removed ours.

Update from Dan support:

Our Dev team found what was causing the re-opting-in. They are releasing a fix so that this won't happen again.

you're probably right Daxio - I think it would be wise to have another alternative ready. I was checking some of our domains on 123-reg and whilst most have been wiped - I did find a .co.uk up for sale this morning with a BIN of £4151 wheras the price on dan was £5000 BIN (before I put them all on make offer). So that doesn't give me any confidence that our domains aren't appearing on afternic network even though it might say 'not listed' in our account.

I did take a look at sedo again a few weeks back - probably will start listing a few although some members here were complaining about delays in payouts recently - also the landers don't look so good as dan - but maybe I'm not clued up on what to choose as we haven't used sedo for years.

Thanks for the plug! This is not a sales pitch just a general observation about marketplaces not auction sites based on having had tens of thousands of domains parked on our system.

Some domainers have realized a perfect solution does not exist, for others the search will never stop.

All I can say is this, its about confidence in your stock. What I consider to be the "professional" domainers are just generally much more confident about the domains they own and are happy to negotiate a sale. They don't fiddle with marketplaces and are content to leave their domains cleanly parked unmolested with no spammy ads or third party interventions, they're not interested in earning $3.83 in parking revenue. They understand that the real money 95% of the time is in true end user sales not domain b2b sales and thus know that most marketplaces are generally full of low ball tyre kickers and that serious buyers will end up on the landing page anyway and make the required offer. They've been successfully using this formula for years and making sales so something must be right.

This is not to say there is some value in have a hands off approach for a 20% commission offered by other services if you are that way inclined but you sill still have to change the tag and initiate the transfer. The perceived value of needing "marketplaces" or your domains will not be found does not really exist, the true end users always seek you out which is why we removed ours.

Unable to activate the free trial on DomainManage / couldn't message you your inbox is full.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom