Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google - what will happen next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Google has unveiled plans for its own domain name registration service.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27972053

The firm is "testing" a service that will allow consumers "to search, find, purchase and transfer" domain names for their business.

An increasing number of businesses are looking to set up their online presence, boosting demand for domain names.

What will all this mean to .uk and .co.uk sales of domains
and will Google build up "domain portfolio" for resale?

I've seen Google enter other industries I'm in and cause panic and/or excitement about the huge impending change.

And every time they've failed to reach the heights, because dedicated companies already in the industry are more experienced and do a better job.

This is probably just a way they can mitigate another challenge for potential AdWords clients.

Google have probably the highest product failure rate I have ever seen.

Didn't they buy some of the new tld's were they all Google related or are they going to try and take on the status quo with this

Last edited:
Will they be offering subdomains, ie: mybusinessname.google ?

Makes sense, as the platform is the internet in comparison to Facebook etc who want their own platform. Makes sense for Google and especially the tie up with WIX etc into building out those sites very easily.

All they need to do now is offer guaranteed ranking with names and websites registered through them and the monopoly is complete.

This is an important move - soon I'll be able to do everything Google:

1. Get paid by Google.
2. Use a Google phone.
3. Make products with Google tech (engines, Go, etc etc).
4. Drive a Google car (coming soon).
5. When I get old have a Google robot to look after me.

Last edited:
Will they be offering subdomains, ie: mybusinessname.google ?

I would think domains like that might be offered for free with free website building tools, so people without websites can get one with their own domain and then buy adwords.

I find their quote that "55% of small businesses don't have one [website]" a bit odd...

You'd think most do, or rather those who are bothered and actively market their customers do.

For me Google are doing this to market to new startup companies who they can sell Adwords to, think it's simply a marketing ploy from that angle.

I wonder if we will see them enter various tld catching/auction sell off?

Reg details might help with their fight against spam? Linking sites together by owner, where otherwise privacy restricted. Networks?

Always the cynic where Gs concerned.

All they need to do now is offer guaranteed ranking with names and websites registered through them and the monopoly is complete.

and the end begins!

Seriously, how much would the search algos be affected by this? Plus the obvious adwords angle too.

I have seen spam google sites that are poor and weak in every sense outrank quality sites.

Certainly makes you think.

p.s. thanks for the invite Foz

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom