20i Reseller Hosting

Guess the TAG

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by boxerdog, Apr 11, 2019.

1. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Massive thumbs up.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

That's why I give nominet access to my system if they want it. It's quite obvious there isn't any collusion though from chasing patterns. Also I have been doing this for several years now I'm sure they would've picked up on any collusion if it existed. What *is* against nominet policy (confirmed by nominet) though is letting people use your script for free and splitting the sale price for a % of the profit. So I couldn't let people use my script for free on the understanding that they auction all caught domains on my auction site for a set percentage of the profits - don't know who does that though....If that model has been offered to you be sure to let nominet know.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Brutal! I think I might just sell up and move on now :D

5. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

Good on you.

The said individuals I've used the past had a model based depending on how much you were prepared to pay per month, meant you could either keep what you catch "Necromonger Way" or it had to go to auction.

6. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

Any hopes of an Easter egg for those who don’t know the ‘Nominet flaw’ to level the playing field :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. meslam123

meslam123 Active Member

Something shady happened to me yesterday, will expose it to acrondomains community soon

In the meanwhile, I will advise members to only use reputable drop catching websites like Ukbackorder,domainjunky, dropped and never share names to private catchers

8. armistice United Kingdom

armistice Active Member

Massive Respect for your integrity.

9. stevelook2 United Kingdom

stevelook2 Active Member

This is a bit harsh, as using a private catcher actually gives you a better chance of catching, the public catchers are maybe chasing 20 odd domains (or more) at once where the private catcher is using their full quota to catch your one domain.

Unfortunately there are a few rotten eggs in every industry but not everyone is out to rip you off.

Non the less, Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

10. meslam123

meslam123 Active Member

Sure there are a few honest private catchers in here but you can't identify the honest from the dishonest one so it's better to step away from them.

In the current world where people seem to have lost their moral, it's good for us to keep it at a high standard.

11. armistice United Kingdom

armistice Active Member

Just seconding this, even just a clue or a hint how to discover it would help. I just want to feel I stand a fair chance instead of clearly having no hope whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  12. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. Every time someone mentions the "flaw", I spend 2-3 hours pouring over things to see if anything jumps out at me :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Well-Known Member

Probably better just getting a hosted platform at Robs then..

14. armistice United Kingdom

armistice Active Member

Yes that's an option (at least it would return to having some kind of chance once he's made the update), however for me this is a 'technical hobby' rather than just catching for profit. While it would be nice to catch a contested domain in that it proves success, I'm more interested in understanding process.

15. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

Agreed, I kind of like the challenge. Any income from catching is a bonus, so I'll keep on hacking for now.

16. PoshTiger United Kingdom

Thing is - the more people that know, the less competitive the ones that do become.. Why would anyone possibly want to share?

17. armistice United Kingdom

armistice Active Member

TBH I'm appealing to @RobM because its clear that hes been battling to get Nominet to fix this bug in the system to recreate a level playing field in line with Nominets AUP and intended purpose.
    I have great respect for his integrity based on his postings on here over the past months.

18. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

He is making it available to anyone wanting to join his hosted catching I presume (idk if places are limited), that's levelling the playing field and also making some money for himself, best of both worlds

I started using Robs system the other month, personally id like him to close down new applications now :D

19. PoshTiger United Kingdom

He's a businessman, domaining is his business - He wanted a level playing field to make his system more appealing, do you think he'd be taking this up if there was nothing in it for him?

20. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Active Member

I've been on both sides of the fence. I went from shouting how unfair it was and that everyone deserved a chance to suddenly going quiet because I had the secret and was on the gravy train. It turns out that my altruism was actually greed and now that Rob has finally bought himself the "flaw" he'll have a similar dilemma.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Active Member

Just to add, the biggest thing I discovered is, there's decent people know about the "flaw" and there's cheats that know about it and it's only out of respect for the decent ones that I haven't spilled the beans in order to wreck the chances of the cheats!