Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is Pogba worth £100m plus??

Reaction score
From a Man City fans point of view the answer is clearly what a waste of money and for that I'd want Ronaldo, Suarez, Messie or Bale.

From a business point of view it seems it's all about image rights and shirt sales?

Even heard on the radio that Messi covered his face when leaving the pitch at Wembley v Liverpool so he couldn't be photographed and fans who had paid good money to see him were told to stop taking pictures as it infringed his image rights! The world's gone mad.

I don't fully understand the image rights value but what a great time to be a famous footballer.

Presumably every photo of them that's published anywhere generates money??

Football went ridiculous many years ago now and it seems there is no let up in the madness. The number one reason why I gave up on the sport.

It's the first time since 2000 that any other team than Real Madrid have broken the world transfer record, which is interesting.

The money in the Premier League has inflated the price you have to pay, but in this case, United have secured someone who will probably define their team for the next 5-10 years - and solved a desperate problem from recent seasons.

As with domain names, it's the market that drives price. Bog standard players are changing hands for £20-30m now. Even just to sit on the bench.

If the team returns to the performance levels of years gone by, it'll prove good value.

They will make a huge chunk of that fee back in the first season with branding, sponsorships and merchandise sales, just like Gareth Bale effectively paid his transfer fee off with in a couple of months when signing for Madrid ( previously highest transfer record ) .

Its all relative, is he worth it ? Is he worth the wages he gets paid...........yes he's earning his employers huge amounts of money, its got to come down the chain.

Top player as well , although I'm sure it will take a while before he lives down saying he wouldnt ever join united again.

Agree with Adam H and just to expand on that, branding, sponsorships and merchandise still go hand in hand with success. If you believe Pogba will improve United in terms of giving them a better chance of success, then what price can you put on that? I think the answer to that is pretty clear, I don't know whether he is proper world class yet but he already improves that midfield immensely on paper. £100m might seem a steal if he plays a pivitol role in 5+ years of success and all the gravy trains that go hand in hand with that, but time will tell.

The Pogba price is crazy but what we have come to expect.

As a City fan I was glad to see we've signed John Stones (although it's mental that he can command a fee of £47 million). I suppose the fact he's home grown always bumps the price up.

I'm liking the look of another of City's new signings, Gabriel Jesus.

Big Gamble, most football clubs are worth less. He stood out for me at the Euro's but I only seen him as a 30 million pound player.

I've pondered the TV money and it's effect, I think its been the Premierships downfall in the Champions League somewhat

All the Prem clubs have so much money they don't really need to sell players, when someone like Modric or Bale wants to leave Spurs to play for trophies, rather than selling to competition they sell abroad, meaning we lose great players from the league.

If there were only a couple of rich clubs in England there would be a lot more feeder clubs to take talent from

In the early 2000's a player like Bale would have ended up at United 100%, same as Rooney and Rio

Just as everyone complains about the number of foreign players coming to England and hampering young talent coming through, why don't more of our players take their chances abroad?

Too many seem to be happy in the reserves taking the big money rather than taking a pay-cut and playing in another top-flight European league.

Having some players with week-in-week-out European experience would be good for the national team too.

Too many seem to be happy in the reserves taking the big money rather than taking a pay-cut and playing in another top-flight European league.

This is precisely the reason why, and why I suspect 95% of players once they reach the senior team are more interested in money and the spoils of such, rather than the love of the game. One of countless reasons why I stopped following football.

In the early 2000's a player like Bale would have ended up at United 100%

No he wouldnt especially if Daniel Levy was chairman at the time, Man United made a number of offers though the years for bale, including one higher than Madrid made at the time the sale.........they were all turned down because Spurs didnt want a star player playing for a club in the same division. Id rather see Bale go abroad for big money any day over seeing him come back and haunt us.

Neither Bale or remotely close to the same value

Berbatov 2008 £30.75 million

Robinho to Man City that year 32 million which was a British transfer record

30 mil in 2008 was a top end signing and it was from Tottenham to Man U

Why would Bale have been any different? you know I'm right but if you want to argue just to argue then :p

Neither Carrick or Berbatov were potentials for the best player in the world at the time or remotely close, most would say United over paid for both . It was the right time for Spurs to get rid, British transfer record is not world transfer record. We're talking a totally different class of player, Levy rejected bid from United for Berbatov for year before getting the price he wanted, he also rejected bids for Modric ( of which Spurs signed knowing they would have money in the bank from Berbatovs sale 2 months later ) and Bale through the two seasons they performed well stating that those players would not be allowed to join an English team......

To categorically say that bale would end up at united because they signed Rooney, Rio, Berbatov and Carrick is crazy talk and you know it. Not one of those players then....or now have ever compared to a player like Bale.

To categorically say that bale would end up at united because they signed Rooney, Rio, Berbatov and Carrick is crazy talk and you know it. Not one of those players then....or now have ever compared to a player like Bale.

They signed two of Spurs best players back then, but saying they could have signed another (if he came through in that period) is crazy? not following that logic

Bale isn't the be all and end all anyway

All I'm saying is there's now more talent spread out through the league because clubs are better able to hang on to their players because they have more money so don't need to sell

& when clubs do sell, they prefer to do it abroad because it doesn't stir up such a fuss with the fans, which leads to players like Bale & Suarez going abroad

That, or another prem club just pays stupid money like Man City for Sterling and Stones

I'm just thinking how many hospital wards could be opened with that 100m....

But getting back to football is any one setting up a fantasy footy league on here this year?

I'm happy to setup a Sky Sports FF league - already playing the game with a few groups. The fact it has an app helps.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom