Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mayfair

Not to detract from your domain question, but there are plenty of reasons why it won't go back to normal. Companies that have managed to continue operating will be asking why they need 500k rents as part of their cost base, people value outdoor space much more than previously (and that is something you don't get with properties in Mayfair) and speak to any estate agent and you'll find a flux of Londoners moving away from the capital.

Don't know if you are a Londoner, as I am, but it has become a less and less attractive place every year, Covid has accelerated it's decimation. Sure, it will still be a symbolic, political capital but the wealth is being sucked out very quickly. Add a sprinkling of Brexit on top of that and things are just not great. My family is in the property business and most of my friends are in commercial property in central London, none of them disagree with me. You of course are entitled to, but if it was me, I'd be cashing in.

Mayfair is not theatre land, it is fueled by the money of the people who work there. If they disappear, the glamour and appeal of the area disappear with it.

To be honest I don't really see the point in this discussion. It is a nice name that I am sure everyone was chasing.

I personally would of grabbed the £xx,xxx offer, but I would have been thinking short term. If @StudioVision feels he can develop it and make that back in a year, than good luck to him and I hope he does. Even if he only makes £5k a year, he can enjoy that and then sell it for £xx,xxx in a few years time.

Nice catch, and good luck with it.

Last edited:
I'm really not, I've lived in London for 40+ years and know some of the most powerful people in property in London. But I can see my counsel is no longer welcome, so all the best with the domain, I hope you get what you want from it.

Sorry, I’ve not received a PM.

Not sure, it’s currently showing a property company’s website. Their MD says he owns ‘The Mayfair Group’ according to his LinkedIn profile.

.uk's get spoken of as if they were the black death itself. Loads of questionable domain suffixes have world-class and world-renown websites on them. What you actually put on the website is as important as the URL you choose. A domain name is ultimately only a component of a successful website.

Mayfair is an interesting spot I spent a bit of time around. Prior to lock down the area has probably an 18hr clock 7 days a week. Soon as the offices close the nightlife takes over and it's very active. A lot goes on in that small district and it's all high-end.

Adding my two pence: the value for mayfair.uk goes a beyond just the geo location. I’ve come across plenty of businesses in the past that used ‘Mayfair’ in their business names just because it’s a prestigious place and they wanted to be associated to it

Having said that, I fully agree with @figleaf007 ’s comments above

Central London is fast becoming a ghost town. It’s turning into a vacuum and it could be years before another shift in working patterns brings life back to a once very busy place

I wouldn't reg mayfair.uk if it was FTR (I mean maybe after a bottle of wine.. you might get a low/mid £££ on DL if you lucky). If someone was stupid enough to offer you 5k+ for a pipe dream that was a big missed opportunity. If it had a directory right now and made a steady and consistent 20k pa, it would obviously have some value (and it actually wouldn't bother someone if it was mayfairdirectory.co.uk, .com or mayfair.uk).

You might get lucky and get a chance to move it on to another dreamer... don't blow it again..

(...psssst... mayfairdirectory.uk is FTR... this is such a great business idea why doesn't someone get this for £3.90 and mayke it worth £100k!)

I wouldn't reg mayfair.uk if it was FTR (I mean maybe after a bottle of wine.. you might get a low/mid £££ on DL if you lucky). If someone was stupid enough to offer you 5k+ for a pipe dream that was a big missed opportunity. If it had a directory right now and made a steady and consistent 20k pa, it would obviously have some value (and it actually wouldn't bother someone if it was mayfairdirectory.co.uk, .com or mayfair.uk).

You might get lucky and get a chance to move it on to another dreamer... don't blow it again..
Are you drunk now? There's a £1,500 pre-bid on DL :D

I'm not drunk there's just some thick people who over pay for domains. If you get £1500 then congrats!
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree - I'd have a much harder time understanding how Mayfair.uk isn't worth £1,500 than understanding how it is.

The thing is, is that most of us here are just swapping cash between us. I am inclined to side with JMI (reluctantly :p) in this instance. If you have turned down an offer worth £XX,XXX, then you have made a great mistake (IMO of course). Any pre-bids, offers etc. are likely to be from domain investors and collectors. I just don't see a use case for mayfair.uk from a geographical standpoint. Perhaps it'd be a nice brandable name. As you may know, I'm a big advocate for .UK, I think it's able to stand on it's own two feet – without .co.uk. So if you can find someone who wants to build a brand on it, great.

But trust me on the offer. Go back. Tail between your legs. Beg if you have to. :D

The thing is, is that most of us here are just swapping cash between us. I am inclined to side with JMI (reluctantly :p) in this instance. If you have turned down an offer worth £XX,XXX, then you have made a great mistake (IMO of course). Any pre-bids, offers etc. are likely to be from domain investors and collectors. I just don't see a use case for mayfair.uk from a geographical standpoint. Perhaps it'd be a nice brandable name. As you may know, I'm a big advocate for .UK, I think it's able to stand on it's own two feet – without .co.uk. So if you can find someone who wants to build a brand on it, great.

But trust me on the offer. Go back. Tail between your legs. Beg if you have to. :D

That's the thing, we can build a brand on it ourselves :)

And holding onto it, even if we do nothing with it, it will only increase in value as .uk gains more momentum as I'm sure it will (IMO)

That's the thing, we can build a brand on it ourselves :)

And holding onto it, even if we do nothing with it, it will only increase in value as .uk gains more momentum as I'm sure it will (IMO)

Totally agree. I still think I'd have taken a 5 figure offer though lol. It's all a game anyway!

Well said. Good to see someone's got a spine and isn't cowed by all the baby boomer haters.. or should I say "dislikers"

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom