Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mayfair

• Don't need the cash
  • I believe higher offers will be made - I've owned it less than a week
  • It'll make £xx,xxx/year when developed

Basically, without sounding rude, I feel the 5 figure offer isn't true or real.

You're well within your rights to think that, and as entitled to your opinion as anyone else - it's just wrong in this case. I've stated countless times that it's not for sale, so why would I make that up?

If it's not for sale, getting it appraised seems a bit pointless.

Because of the .uk - I believe it fits better with it being a geo. The .co.uk when compared to the .uk, in general, would command more value regardless of the domain.

Regardless, I feel that you expected it to be worth a lot and not had the responses you expected
Like I said, I've had an £xx,xxx cash + domains offer, and there's a pre-bid of £1,500 on DomainLore. Not sure what I expected it to be worth, hence the appraisal request, but it's cost me £3.90 so...

.UK domains selling to an end-user level just don't have much value. Nothing really do to with the domain itself; just the market. End users aren't building sites out on .uk extensions for whatever reason.

It doesn't need to be an end user to be a big offer - the 5 figure deal wasn't from an end user. For a more public example, look at healthcare.uk

Uber.com was sold by Universal Music to UberCab as it was called at that time for a 2% stake. At a later fundraising round Universal cashed out for just under £1million but contract specifics of the deal remain undisclosed. Had Universal held onto its 2% stake until IPO it would have been worth over $500million which would have made Uber.com ultimately the highest value domain sale ever recorded or at least in the top 5. Something that I doubt the first person who registered it would have ever conceived even possible.

Just another nugget to illustrate the future of any given domain name is for the most part unknowable imho due to myriad factors. There are 7star diamond-encrusted domain names doing 2 star tired and rusty levels of business and revenue relative to their potential and there are 2star domain names doing 7 Star jewel-encrusted levels of revenue. Mayfair.uk has a helluva lot of Kudos value. Game monopoly must offer significant value of annual free awareness and publicity for the word Mayfair on top of all the other reasons it's so well known.

If someone was offering 5 figures from a wholesale approach, there's something not quite aligning there.
You have me here; there's no way I can prove it, and I highly doubt the entity that made the offer will come here and give up their anonymity to ease your suspicions, so I guess you'll just have to believe I'm not telling the truth.

healthcare.uk is an outlier at present.
That may be the case, but it's proof that it does happen.

Virtually all .UK domains at the moment are being purchased by people hoping for future value and buying lottery tickets by doing it.
I agree - but with the offers I've had so far, I'm definitely willing to hold onto this one in the hope of future value. The fact that Mayfair is such an affluent area, the Monopoly connection, the insane property prices, the type(s) of people/businesses that would be interested in the area etc all point to this being worth holding onto for the sake of a renewal fee every year.

What would I have to be jealous about? Been opportunities to pick this up for dirty cheap, like everyone else that didn't want it. I've GEO domains coming out of my backside that I need to get round to building. Don't need another to sit there doing nothing for a year.

For a .UK geo like this you would be better off spending a fiver on something like DiscoverMayfair.co.uk and spending 10k on SEO. (If the domain was actually worth 10k alone.) As SEO tends to be the hardest part of the puzzle with GEOs.

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent name though!

If someone was offering 5 figures from a wholesale approach, there's something not quite aligning there.

healthcare.uk is an outlier at present.

Virtually all .UK domains at the moment are being purchased by people hoping for future value and buying lottery tickets by doing it. There's virtually no end users buying them.

Did you reg all your RoR .uk Geo's? Are you aware of any of your prime .co.uk's where the corresponding .uk GEO's remain unregistered? Perhaps you feel burdened by your prime .uk GEO's and wish to quietly unload wherein I'm offering a safe and loving new home for them at no cost to you. If so kindly PM me. :)

If you have a premium .co.uk GEO, having the corresponding .uk mainly holds a different type of non-monetary value.

I think geo.uk offers something more than geo.co.uk. Has a lot to potentially offer in terms of international customers either for Travel, Tourism, or even business purposes. It's a longer bet for sure but .uk from a British point of view could be just as important as a UK based British themed .com

So for example Mayfair.com and Mayfair.uk for me both do the same job overseas if you can rank that is. It's literally .com kudos vs UK kudos and both are significant. I'd take either over Mayfair.co.uk for development purposes. If idea was to sell as fast as possible then yeah it would be .com, then .co.uk then .uk.

the .uk suffix evokes a lot of confidence about the UK itself in all aspects, economically, socially, culturally, historically, innovation, technology, and so on. Plus post Brexit factors are favourable to .uk and that's eventually going to be a powerful message when people get used to seeing it hence the enthusiasm for .uk domains especially at this pricing and availability. Still can't fathom why you don't like them given you stand to so greatly benefit if you have the GEO's in both suffixes.

I really like the .uk extension and it looks good in this instance, but Trauiner does have a point about the lack of .uk domains getting built out.

I did a search on google for just .uk searching on various valuable keywords, one keyword at a time. Not a lot there yet, to be fair.

Trauiner is right, more .uk domains need to be built out.

I did a search on google for just .uk searching on various valuable keywords, one keyword at a time. Not a lot there yet, to be fair.
Not a lot of electric cars out on the streets either (considering the huge overall fleet numbers), but that doesn't mean my next car isn't going to be electric.
Change doesn't happen overnight

@StudioVision - Do you use a hosted catcher or someone else's script?

As for the price... if you can get £xx,xxx in the current economic situation i would take it... Mayfair.uk has limited use cases that an end-user could realistically use the domain for... one might argue its brandable but its going to be several years before the majority of end-users are looking at .uk as the default over .co.uk and even longer before they look at the .uk as the first choice and throw a ton of money at brand awareness and marketing. On top of that you have someone occupying and trading from the .co.uk in the exact niche most people would use Mayfair.uk. Therefore, it's likely Mayfair.co.uk would receive the majority of search/url traffic for Mayfair.uk until the general public are fully aware of .uk... For example, if you told the average joe.. "Aye, my website is Mayfair.uk... check it out tonight when you get home"... You can almost bet your life they would go to mayfair.co.uk unless they have it written down in black and white.

The simple fact is that for many, many years, there has been virtually no interest in the extension. No-one has wanted them and there's nothing at present that would make people want them. If you removed all the auto-registrations, the .UK extension would be in a dire place.

But you have to look at the end game. 5, 10, 15+ years and beyond... You have to be in it, to win it.
And that's what the domain game is all about. Speculation on our investments today for tomorrow.

From this point on, I can only see it moving in one direction, up to a pivot point that we will observe a "speeding up" snowball effect.

For me and many others, It's not if we will ever see parity and beyond, but when. That's the real question.

"Failing to plan is planning to fail"

Last edited:
Pre Covid I would have loved this domain. Now, I certainly would have considered a 5 figure offer on it all. Mayfair is utterly dead at the moment, and whether it will recover to its former glory, like the rest of London, is questionable. There's currently a flight of Londoners to outside of the capital, what that means for the capital is unclear.

Nice name and congrats, but I'd take the money and put it into a domain or project with less uncertainty around it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom