Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mum.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does someone who owns a name like mum need to get appraisals on a forum ??

Yeah, nice one. Well done. Want a medal ???

Want a medal ???
What sort of medals do you have...? I'm looking for one around the 4- 5" diameter with a bit of gold braid and tassels, either woven gold or silver braid on the end of a sash nothing to ostentatious just for everyday wear :p

Last edited:

1) To get second opinions on the £150,000 valuation I discussed with the Mothercare SEO guy. The more valuable a domain is, the more you have to lose by selling it at the wrong price.

2) To get development and promotion ideas. For example, the Mother's Day viral marketing idea was genius.

3) To see if UK based domainers and developers shared my views on the brandability of Mum.com.

4) Appraisal threads can be useful for finding contacts. For example, I am talking to one guy about working together on Mum.com and another said he might know somebody who would be interested in buying the domain.

I understand that when you post a domain like this for appraisal, it makes you look a bit like Muttley, but I promise you, although my motives are self serving, they go way beyond getting a pat on the back for owning it.

Very grateful to everybody who has contributed to this thread, rep added, please keep the views and ideas coming.

Last edited:

Yeah, nice one. Well done. Want a medal ???

I for one am glad they did ask for an appraisal, after all, it's an interesting discussion. That's what a forum is for isn't it, discussing things?

Rgds

Superb domain - great generic!
I think 'around £150,000' would be fair.
What keeps the price well down is the British English spelling, that in America they use Mom.

I think its good and refreshing to see discussion/interaction on a real quality domain.

Good luck with whatever you do

This is a massive name. £150,000 is nothing. I am not sure if some of you realise how big the parenting market is and how expensive baby and childrens goods are. And probably every type in is from the UK, I'd guess.

This is an exciting name in my opinion - don't sell it for less than its worth.

A fantastic LLL.com with a wide potential market and 15 years in maturity it's got to worth double 150k, i know if was wealthy i would consider paying 150k after first buiding a a suitable business model.

Don't rush to sell it unless you need the cash ?

The only problem with this name for a global market is that in the US they say mom.

I think Edwin sold mum//.co.uk a couple of years back

Superb LLL domain and everybody outside our colonial cousins loves their Mum (original spelling) bless!!

Worth 150k every day of the week, developed and with a good agent? - well limit and sky come to mind.

Whoever told you it was limit(ed) to a few was trying to have you over.

All the best with it.

Jim.

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the appraisals, rep added. I have offered Mum.com to Mothercare, Boots, Kiddicare, Mamas & Papas, CafeMom, Mumsnet, and Bauer Media, they own the askamum.co.uk, and Mother & Baby and Pregnancy & Birth magazines.

As somebody on this thread pointed out, it's not necessarily the top mother and baby retailers or publishers who would consider acquiring Mum.com, it's the next tier down who need a more prominent brand to counter having less buying power, traffic, money to spend on advertising, recognition etc.

Otherwise, I need to find out which big retailers have ambitions to move into this sector. For example, I see supermarkets, especially the ones who don't focus as much on home delivery but have huge buying power, as potential buyers of Mum.com.

The other key market I see are entrepreneurs and SEO and web design companies. Developing a high profile site in-house is a great way of using spare capacity, taking advantage of contacts, or using Mum.com as a case study to win business.

Thank you to the people who have contacted me about working together on Mum.com. The only thing I would say is if you tell me you run an SEO or web design company and want me to hand over up to 2/3 of Mum.com, you need to back that up with a recogniseable client base, professionally developed websites, top search engine rankings, references, and a set of accounts at Companies House etc.

Have you considered selling it at one of the top domain auctions?

When toys r' us bought toys.com they were bidding against a large domain investment company which seemed to push the price up.

Superb domain - great generic!
What keeps the price well down is the British English spelling, that in America they use Mom.

I agree.

This is unquestionably a great domain but talk of millions is a little over the top. :)

It's a shame that our cousins across the pond use a different word as this stops the domain from being truly global.

And that's the rub, you've got a non-global word on a global domain extension. This to me does restrict usage to one country, probably the UK, unless there are suitable companies out there who only operate in those countries where the word 'mum' is used.

As mum.co.uk is currently available for £20k then I'd have to agree with Julian that I'd be surprised if you got more than £40k for mum.com.

This of course gives you another headache which is that anyone you approach may like the concept but just go and buy mum.co.uk. If you've cash in the bank then one option would be for you to buy the .uk extension as you'd obviously be in a much stronger position if you owned both.

Good luck whatever you decide, I'm sure everyone here would love to hear what happens in the future and more importantly how much you get for it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom