Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Number of domain sales per day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Would be interested to know your estimates on the amount of actual domain sales that happen per day (just .co.uk) between 2 parties - not registrations, just a direct sale between a seller and a buyer.

Is there anyway to work it out?

Or could you only make a guess based on published sales?

If so, can anyone link me the most comprehensive list?

It's a shame there are no stats on this. My guess is that the number is probably around 100 per day. Many domainers used to talk about turning over a few per cent of their stock per year - given that they hold a disproportionately high share of marketable domains 3 per cent of say, 1 million, top generics would be 30,000 names per year.

Stephen.

You need to get a crystal ball.... :rolleyes:

There is no daily reported domain sales for .co.uk domains

Alan use to update http://domainprices.co.uk but that's outdated now.

Alot of .co.uk sales will be unreported and never will go public

Would be interested to know your estimates on the amount of actual domain sales that happen per day (just .co.uk) between 2 parties - not registrations, just a direct sale between a seller and a buyer.

Is there anyway to work it out?

Or could you only make a guess based on published sales?

If so, can anyone link me the most comprehensive list?

It's a shame there are no stats on this. My guess is that the number is probably around 100 per day.

That is interesting, I would have guesstimated 20 a day, including domainer to domainer (not that my guess it based on too much)

Might be a way of finding out the total of sedo and domainlore sales, but private sales would be hard to guess.

That is interesting, I would have guesstimated 20 a day, including domainer to domainer (not that my guess it based on too much)

Might be a way of finding out the total of sedo and domainlore sales, but private sales would be hard to guess.

Mine might well be an overestimate. Even 100 is a tiny proportion of the number of domains held.

You could possibly get an idea if you were successful in lodging a Freedom of Information request with Nominet, asking for a breakdown of transfers etc on a daily basis. Nominet wouldn't know if these were sales, but I'd imagine that the vast majority would be.

You could possibly get an idea if you were successful in lodging a Freedom of Information request with Nominet, asking for a breakdown of transfers etc on a daily basis. Nominet wouldn't know if these were sales, but I'd imagine that the vast majority would be.

Unfortunately Nominet is not covered by FOI as it not a Government body.

nominet may volunteer the data, if it can be "mangled" into some sort of promotion statistic for .uk :)

I presume Nominet have some sort of mandate from the government to do what they do, so it could be worth an FOI request to the relevant government department?

I presume Nominet have some sort of mandate from the government to do what they do, so it could be worth an FOI request to the relevant government department?

No. The FOI route was tried many times during the .uk consultations. As far as Nominet goes, it's a guaranteed dead end.

I’ d surprised if the value of all of them PA would buy you much more than a semi in a run down London borough…? Vast majority of the supposedly desirable have the same owners as years ago... and many of the newer launched sites etc seam to be newer regged "Brand"

thanks for the feedback
would be very interesting to see the amount of transfers going through - wouldn't have to give any names Nominet ;-)

so do Sedo publish all their sales somewhere?

I've sold a few on there but havent seen them on a list.. so I'm guessing not.

Last edited:
Sedo only publish the ones you have given permission to be published.

Its a per sale basis, I believe either buyer or seller can opt out. I know its there for a buyer from when I bought my vanity name, so I assume its also there for seller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom