Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.org.uk and .uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it above but it was a long post. :) brilliantconstructionservices.co.uk - that's not it, I don't want to talk about my client specifically, but it is equally of the same quality.

A domain like that is hardly worth getting flustered over. If the domain owner was unwilling to sell for a reasonable price, you could approach the owners of brilliantconstruction.co.uk, brilliantconstructionservices.com etc or even dig deep and try to acquire brilliant.co.uk.

There is no reason why a domain owner should do anything with his domain until he is good and ready. A domain is an asset like any other. If you want a domain owned by someone else you need to pay the asking price or look for another. Obvious isn't it?

A domain like that is hardly worth getting flustered over. If the domain owner was unwilling to sell for a reasonable price, you could approach the owners of brilliantconstruction.co.uk, brilliantconstructionservices.com etc or even dig deep and try to acquire brilliant.co.uk.

There is no reason why a domain owner should do anything with his domain until he is good and ready. A domain is an asset like any other. If you want a domain owned by someone else you need to pay the asking price or look for another. Obvious isn't it?

But you are not the owner of a domain name, are you? You are merely a registrant.
Much like a tenant renting a property. If the landlord decides to change the terms of contract by your next renewal date, there isn't much you can do about it, is there? ;)

mdb you don't seem to understand, the .com world established that domaining (the speculative purchase of domains and subsequent retention for sale) is a legit business.

I'm not saying it's not? I said clearly in my posts, I don't see anything wrong with buying and selling domains? I've never once said it's immoral or bad business per se... I've bought way more off domainers than I've sold (for clients or for genuine future use), and I'm happy to do so. I think back ordering services offer great value etc. etc. There's guys on this thread who've caught domains I was going for through public catchers. It's the nature of the game, so I lost out. I don't think it's a corrupt model?

So yourself have said you held a hotel chain to ransom and did a deal, why didn't you simply give the domain to them since they obviously felt they had claim to it ?

Double Standards there my friend, explain why you think its ok for you to do this but not others on a larger scale ?

Haha, it's not double standards. I accept that the domain in question dropped and it was FTR. I registered it and it was as generic as they come, I would argue even more generic as the example I've already listed. It was a genuine reg which I thought would have made for a great development. I don't even think I had it a year before a uber million dollar company approached me directly and made me an offer. Note the company name was entirely different to the domain. I wouldn't have reg'd it if it had based on my run in with the corporate who had my arm up my back over the two domains I was running a legit business on... I didn't quibble on the price, I didn't ask for more. I sold it and they (I assume?) were very happy with the purchase. I probably would have sold it for half of what they offered me, so yeah, I snapped their hand off :)

Can we agree that's entirely different to the example I gave previously?

Also that was 10 yrs ago, I wouldn't do it today, not that there's anything wrong with it, just not my line of business.

I've already addressed that in the "2nd choice" .co.uk vs the .org.uk. They decided on the latter (exact match), which turned out to be a smart choice as they now own both.

A domain is an asset like any other.
See I disagree in part because of the unique characteristics of the domain market. I am genuiely interested in a comparable marketplace. I don't know if there is one? The "land" analogy is the most cited, but as much as you guys think my argument, when stacked up agains the laws of supply and demand, is flawed, I too think the land anaology has holes. I can't buy significant land for £40 (what a drop catch would cost me). Even if I could, could I hope it will one day magically be worth xx,xxx? And the cost to me to maintain the faith in 500% growth is my Friday night pint once a year... And if it doesn't work out, well I haven't lost out significantly.

I understand you guys have other high indrect costs, but your costs are your costs - you choose what to register / catch. I would argue collectivly you've probably more speculated more than you've invested, and good luck to you, providing you're not forcing some cash-strapped independent trader to use a .org.uk when there's no one else you could realistically sell the .co.uk to ;)

All of this is starting to sound like I'm against drop catching, I repeat I'm not. I've actually bought domains off some of you.

If you want a domain owned by someone else you need to pay the asking price or look for another. Obvious isn't it?

Yes, yes, it is.

Systreg said:
Please do, but no matter what happens, nothing changes for me

I don't know what you "own" or your "means" but it interested me the day .uk v1 was announced 13 months ago how a certain longstanding domain name investor started ramping up his "for sale" posts on this forum.

I'll assume you mean me with that remark as you quoted me in your reply. Please explain how I ramped my "for sale" posts up after the announcement?

I just did a quick check, the first .UK announcement was on Sep 27th 2012 here

I made 14 sales posts from Sep 1st to Sep 27th when the announcement was made, I then made another 21 sales posts from the Sep 27th through to Nov 24th, of those 21 posts, 20 were for domains that had been caught during that time, which I always post on the day of catching, if its caught it gets posted, as I do with all catches.

If I catch 20 names in a month, there will be 20 sales posts, if I catch 3 names, there will be 3 sales posts, nothing to do with any announcements or thoughts going round in your head, my domains are posted on an if caught, it gets posted basis.

There was one other post with a link to my Sedo portfolio listing, as I've done from time to time when no announcements were present, hardly ramping "for sale" posts up is it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok, who was that aimed at then?

Someone else. I don't know why you thought I was referring to you because I first said "I don't know what you 'own' or your 'means' but..." before continuing with the rest of my "...it interested me the day .uk v1 was announced 13 months ago how a certain longstanding domain name investor started ramping up his 'for sale' posts on this forum." statement. If I had been referring to you I'd have known more about what you "own" having observed what the domain names being sold were as of that day onwards. I'd also have said "you" rather than "a certain longstanding domain name investor". :)

(from iPhone)

I just had an interesting little Twitter exchange with Nominet, which shows a marked and welcome turnaround from previous versions of the consultation.

I asked:

@Nominet Will you now be staying on http://Nominet.org.uk ? There was talk during direct.uk consultation you would move to .uk.

To which they replied:

@uk_domain_names yes, we're proud to be a .org.uk - it does a brilliant job of conveying our not-for-profit status.

Yes org.uk is perfect cover for giving the impression there not all about profit :D

I rarely bother going to their site via any other URL than www.nic.uk so all a bit moot. :)

Added: seems nominet have reserved nic.uk but nic.org.uk and nic.me.uk are registered. This appears to demonstrate a bias towards .co.uk.

(from iPhone)

Last edited:
Doesn't it surprise one when you see a user who you thought was a hardcore domainer, asking how to contact 'celebrity domain investor' in the who-is section, to try and buy a domain they probably never going to be able to acquire.

Doesn't it surprise one when you see a user who you thought was a hardcore domainer, asking how to contact 'celebrity domain investor' in the who-is section, to try and buy a domain they probably never going to be able to acquire.

No idea. Tell us more...

(from iPhone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom