Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.org.uk and .uk

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by retired_member33, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Hence my opinion it was a BS DPA excuse, there was however nothings stopping registrars contacting their clients.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

I don't know about that because:

1- What other option would they have had once the .co.uk has gone, and surely they're fully entitled to build a web site on that extension anyway?
    2- Later, when they become/became aware the .uk was to be released, any chance to address their 'lack of knowledge' is barred to them anyway.
    3- Sorry mate, your finishing sentence make no sense, as you started off by highlighting circumstances where the .co.uk is already taken.

The majority of the big registrars don't even point out the intended uses for the differing options, and Nominet do not police registration nor usage for .org.uk & .me.uk.

4. anthony United Kingdom

Agreed, but the registrars couldn't give a shit either, that's the .uk market for you, the end registrant's opinion doesn't mean shit!

5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I don't accept that. It's been the #1 topic on Acorn for 13 months, and you've found the time to post hundreds of posts on here during that period - plus I can see from your post history that you've contributed many times to various .uk-related threads since V1 in October 2012.

If you want to know who's been filling in the consultations, the Nomensa summaries provide comprehensive breakdowns of the stated backgrounds of the respondents.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  6. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

Ok... Well I couldn't be arsed reading every thread or reply about .UK domains.

The Nomensa summaries? I have a few .UK names and nobody has ever asked me to answer a questionare or anything related to it. In this day and age it is not that difficult to send out an email with a digital survey to your customers perhaps something they could have done?

It feels a bit like increasing the rent for tenants without asking them...For you it might be different as you own a large portolio of .UK names and you are just happy to keep them..

7. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

8. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Does this now mean that the majority of .org.uk's are pretty much worthless?

9. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say there was much change.

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

They will be once .uk is launched, if we're talking about ones registered for commercial use as a substitute for the unavailable .co.uk. While we have no way of knowing which of .co.uk/.uk will rule supreme in the short/medium/long term, it seems pretty obvious that .org.uk will play third fiddle to the two key extensions.

Of course, if you're actually using it yourself to build a business on, you shouldn't care as much - but if the intent is to sell then they're going to lose even the modicum of attraction they currently hold before long.

11. foz

foz Well-Known Member

.org.uk was and will be for non-profit/charity. People that bought into and used outside that scope were well aware of what they were getting into. No sympathy here.

12. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

It goes a little deeper because nothing has changed for that registrant.
    They are still in the same position as they were before.
    The only thing that has changed is the disappointment of what would have been an unforeseen stroke of good luck.

13. markb United States

markb Active Member

Definitely agree with this. Also you had quite a few people buying .org.uk domains which where older than the .co.uk without telling the owners, just because they thought they could get the .uk domain. Plus I even remember near the beginning of the consultation with V1, that people who had .org.uk's started to knock up rubbish wordpress sites on their domains, hoping that they could show that they where using the domain when the .co.uk owner just had theirs parked, to try and get the .uk.

I think the majority of people who are complaining about the .uk going to the .co.uk owner, are probably people who have invested time and money in .org.uk domains since the consultation began, purely to try to get the the .uk domain over the current .co.uk owner. I'm not saying this is true in every case.

14. anthony United Kingdom

You do have a tendancy for wild speculation sometimes. Think about what you have said there, the likelihood of such people having gone out and managing to convince the owners of any .org.uk domains in such a position to sell up is very small indeed. I'd be surprised if it even ran into mid 10's at most.

15. markb United States

markb Active Member

Its not speculation.

16. anthony United Kingdom

Happy to stand corrected. Can you set out the evidence please?

17. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Here's three that Mils IP Ltd bought up this year that would have given them the .uk's if it had gone the way of the oldest current registrant (the director is a well known domain speculator from NL): houses.org.uk, service.org.uk and taxi.org.uk. They wanted £75k via Sedo for the latter. Now how much is that domain name worth? ;-)

(from iPhone)

18. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

My bestest buddy Monkey bought a bunch up inc Monaco.org.uk, and god knows how many others.

19. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I helped acquire a .org.uk for relatively little to protect a very valuable .co.uk belonging to a client. I always knew that people would be speculating behind the scenes, perhaps playing both sides and I cannot blame them. Any other examples? :)

(from iPhone)

20. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

sold istanbul.org.uk for mid £££ to a speculator

ohh, I forgot to add.. I also had ££££ offer for privatemedicalcare.org.uk and hotspot.me.uk which would have won under old v2, turned them down - hindsight's a wonderful thing :(

21. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

The value of org.uk's don't change for me, I see no reason for them to change.

As it was, they were 2nd to .co.uk, now that .uk has been announced as going mostly to .co.uk owners, nothing has really changed, I don't believe they are now in 3rd place.

All those .co.uk's they were 2nd to, they're still in the same position behind those, and the large majority who own the .co.uk will have it paired up with the .uk, so I'm not seeing a difference.

Then:

1. co.uk
    2. org.uk

Now:

1 {co.uk + uk}
    2. org.uk

To me, this applies even more so in the case of some of the bigger domain investers who hold a lot of the best names, and who charge high prices for their .co.uk's.

Their prices for the pair are now going to be even higher, and then there are the others who don't even attempt to sell their domain holdings, so if anything, I think that strengthens the org.uk in instances where someone tries to buy the .co.uk + .uk combination and finds they are way out of their reach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.