Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.org.uk and .uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been running a succesful website on a .org.uk over the last few years.

The reason why i went for the .org.uk is because the .com is an American website and that the .co.uk has been registered by someone who has it parked on Sedo from the day he registered it.

I have made several offers on the .co.uk over the years but the owner is refusing to sell and keeps asking a ridiculous price..

Now there is the .uk announcement where according to the latest version the .co.uk owner has the right to buy the .uk domain.

Imo this doesn't make any sense... What do you guys think my chances are to contact Nominet, explain the situation and try to get the .uk domain?

Last edited:
Literally zero.

Nominet simply can't allow themselves to make case by case exceptions, or they'll have 250,000 domain owners battering on the door for similar treatment.

Not to mention that it would potentially leave them open to huge legal liability if it emerged they gave some people domains via the back door that their published release mechanism wouldn't allow them to have.

So it is not going to happen - period.

If having that specific domain is that important to you, your best bet would be to find a way to pay the asking price for the .co.uk before the owner finds out about the .uk and raises the price further.

Imo this doesn,t make any sense... What do you guys think my chances are to contact Nominet, explain the situation and try to get the .uk domain?

It doesn't matter what opinions we have, the decision has been made, it's pointless you contacting Nominet to try and get the .UK domain, the owner of the .co,uk is entitled to it, I can't believe your asking that question really.

Usage is not a qualifier, so you won't get anywhere.

That's the thing which bugs me about the .UK decision.

Someone runs an amazing site on an inferior extension (.me.uk / org.uk) just because they are unable to buy the .co.uk domain because someone else owns it.

Imo it is the responsibility of Nominet and any other organisation which is responsible for the domains of a certain country to make the most out of the domains for that country and not to let domains just sit there not being used.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what opinions we have, the decision has been made, it's pointless you contacting Nominet to try and get the .UK domain, the owner of the .co,uk is entitled to it, I can't believe your asking that question really.

Why can't you believe that I am asking this question? It might seem as a strange one for domainers but for people who actually run sites this is a very valid question.

I do feel for you. That said hopefully it will spur you on to build on the success you've had so far with this .org.uk . The extension didn't stop you before, so it shouldn't stop you now.

Lets suppose, we open this up and usage becomes a factor.

We have 6 extensions, from .plc .ltd .me .org. co and .net, all of them come to plead their case, there is what about 750,000 people who own one of those, lets say 10% want the .uk, have you any idea how long it would take to review 75,000 cases ?

Would you want 1 person to review ? 3 people ? 5 people ?, what if you don't like the answer ? Appeal process ? what about if the name is taken in 5-6 extension and they all have websites then what ?

If usage was a qualifier it would be madness!

I have been running a succesful website on a .org.uk over the last few years.

The reason why i went for the .org.uk is because the .com is an American website and that the .co.uk has been registered by someone who has it parked on Sedo from the day he registered it.

I have made several offers on the .co.uk over the years but the owner is refusing to sell and keeps asking a ridiculous price..

Now there is the .uk announcement where according to the latest version the .co.uk owner has the right to buy the .uk domain.

Imo this doesn't make any sense... What do you guys think my chances are to contact Nominet, explain the situation and try to get the .uk domain?

Is the site you have built commercial ?
if yes, why did you build a commercial site on an org.uk ?
What site is on the .com ?
Why did you not try to buy the co.uk before you built a successful site on an org.uk ?
Is the co.uk owner refusing to sell, or asking a ridiculous price ?
What is a ridiculous price, given the circumstances ?

Guys, this is a hypothetical question.

@Newguy.. I would say that Google will favor .Uk domains over .co.uk/.org.uk/.me.uk as they in a way are sublevel domains.

@Skinner.. I am talking about people owning a domain in a similar extension so .org.uk/.me.uk

@Websaway..The .net and any other extensions are websites about the same subject but aimed at an American audience. Ridiculous price could be anything depending on 100 quid up to a million, depending on what sort of site is running on the domain.

.plc.uk
.ltd.uk
.org.uk
.me.uk
.org.uk
.co.uk

They are the nominet extensions which was included in v2 of the proposal, so they ARE similar names in my example.

Q. Who exactly will be offered the shorter .uk domain?

A. Anyone can register a new .uk domain from launch.

However, we want to look after our existing customers, so holders of the following domains will be offered the shorter .uk equivalent of their current domain (provided they maintain their current registration until they take up the .uk):
1. All domains that were current on 28th October 2013 where there was no other corresponding third level domain registered.
2. Where there are two or more domains with the same string the .co.uk will be offered the .uk equivalent, and
where there is no .co.uk, the .org.uk will be offered the .uk equivalent.

Shouldn't a domain which has been parked for years not qualify as where there is no .co.uk, the .org.uk will be offered the .uk equivalent

?

Why are we having an October 2012 V1 era debate now? There have been numerous opportunities to make the point you're making and indeed many people did have strong views - the "usage" requirement was one of the most derided parts of V1 and was swiftly removed before V2.

So you're entitled to your opinion, but the long, arduous 13 month process we've just been through shows that it is very much the minority view.

Why are we having an October 2012 V1 era debate now? There have been numerous opportunities to make the point you're making and indeed many people did have strong views - the "usage" requirement was one of the most derided parts of V1 and was swiftly removed before V2.

So you're entitled to your opinion, but the long, arduous 13 month process we've just been through shows that it is very much the minority view.

+1

So true

Sorry Edwin for not having gone through every .Uk debate or document.. I might have had other things to do.

This 13 month process.. Who has been taking part in it? Nominet members? I have not seen one email being send out to the owners of .UK domains who are not Nominet members but run a business or a non commercial website using a .uk domain.

99% of the (vocal) members on here asked nominet to notify registrants, they gave in my opinion and many others some bullshit data protection reason for not contacting you.

I myself emailed asking, I think Stephen and Edwin did too.

In saying this, when a PLC has such a change, does it consult it members aka investors or does it consult its investors, customers, suppliers and everyone else ?

If anyone is to blame for your voice being unheard its your registrar who could have made you aware and expressed your view had they wished.

I made 95% of my clients, customers past and present as well as potentials aware along with details for giving feedback, not that I expect nominet would have listened.

In my opinion if someone builds a website on a .org.uk domain just because the .co.uk domain is already taken, they have done so in the knowledge that they don't own the best extension, therefore when the .uk domain comes out, it shouldn't make any difference to them if the .uk goes to the .co.uk owner. They still have the .org.uk.

If you feel like you have the right to the ".uk" domain then you should also feel like you have the right to the ".co.uk" domain.

99% of the (vocal) members on here asked nominet to notify registrants, they gave in my opinion and many others some bullshit data protection reason for not contacting you.

I myself emailed asking, I think Stephen and Edwin did too.

In saying this, when a PLC has such a change, does it consult it members aka investors or does it consult its investors, customers, suppliers and everyone else ?

If anyone is to blame for your voice being unheard its your registrar who could have made you aware and expressed your view had they wished.

I made 95% of my clients, customers past and present as well as potentials aware along with details for giving feedback, not that I expect nominet would have listened.

Nominet could easily have contacted all end registrants if it really wanted to, god knows they're quick enough sending you email after email when it looks like you're dropping domain names or when it is canvassing for your opinion!

Other than branding who cares... Search traffic, extension doesn't matter, clicks are clicks. If anything, I've found org.uk's inspire confidence resulting in a good CTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom