Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Privacy on .co.uk but not .uk

Reaction score
Just curious as to why you can now get privacy service on .co.uk domains but not on .uk's?

Seems a little odd it's one but not the other....

Just curious as to why you can now get privacy service on .co.uk domains but not on .uk's?

Seems a little odd it's one but not the other....

Wherever you're sourcing this from is incorrect.

I was going by the two registrars I know of that do privacy on .co.uk - neither have the option to add it to a .uk (godaddy and 123-reg).

I take it you know one that does?

I was going by the two registrars I know of that do privacy on .co.uk - neither have the option to add it to a .uk (godaddy and 123-reg).

I take it you know one that does?

I see. Not completely off hand but I could suggest some that probably do. LexSynergy might do. KeySystems might do. Netistrar probably do.

Just to differentiate between the various privacy and opt-out services available:

1. This is WHOIS opt-out for individuals who wish to opt their address out of being displayed in the WHOIS and the rules on who can opt out.

2. This is Nominet's own registrar privacy framework, that registrars can sign up (for free) to use and offer a registry powered privacy service which hides both address and registrant name in the WHOIS although the registry does get a copy of this data.

Please see page 12 within this document for WHOIS output examples of (1) and (2).

3. Some registrars offer their own registrar privacy service that isn't registry powered and only the registrar sees the true registrant.

Please see page 4 within this (the same) document for an explanation of the registries view of the pros and cons of (2) and (3).

Putting said the above, there is no technical reason why any of the above cannot be offered on a second level ".uk" domain name, like it can on a third level domain name. The Address for Service requirement for a foreign registrant with respect to a second level ".uk" shouldn't affect it either.

What I am not aware of is which registrars offer exactly which of the above services I have numbered for ease of differentiation.

It's the true privacy I'm interested in rather than the opt out.

Anyway, cheers - I'll try the ones you suggested.

I still wonder why the others I've tried don't offer it, seems a bit odd.

It's the true privacy I'm interested in rather than the opt out.

Anyway, cheers - I'll try the ones you suggested.

I still wonder why the others I've tried don't offer it, seems a bit odd.

It might be due to how a RoR is initially exercised and if the registrar offered WHOIS privacy at the same time as that right was exercised it would mess up the validation process with the registry. Perhaps it is, or was initially, easier for some registrars to assume that most second level .uk registered were ROFR (now RoR). This is me guessing!

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. Although I wonder what happens with ROR on .uk's where third party privacy has been added to the .co.uk? Ie. if the info isn't visible to the registrar.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom