Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Proof of Identity on Transfer

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Jeewhizz, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred United Kingdom

fred Active Member

It could also easily a situation where there are no Utility Bills in the persons name (e.g. house shares/rental where someone else is the named person or living with parents/family) and not every one has a driving licence and/or passport?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

Have spoken to Nominet and they have confirmed that although they were originally accepting a Nominet Invoice as a form of ID they have now changed this and will not accept any paperwork issued by themselves as a valid form of ID.:confused:

Utility bills are fine or copy of your driving licence.

4. rob

rob Founding Member

Dont pay the invoice then until they prove that you regged the names, therefore they prove who YOU are :)

5. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

Nice bit of lateral thinking rob :)

6. Redneck

Redneck Member

LOL very nice, but you delaying or refusing to pay registration invoices isn’t going to affect Nominet just your tag.

Sorry if im the anti poster on here, but I really don’t see the problem from a security point of view of supplying personal identification.

If someone knew your details from the WHOIS and was willing to pay the transfer fee, they could forge the form and confirmation letter quite easy. Getting hold of a copy of your driver’s license isn’t going to be as simple.

With the email they now send when a transfer is received on your domain and the fact personal identification is required makes me feel a lot happier about the security of my domains.

However I do think there is a good argument for allowing PGP emails as confirmation the transfer can proceed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.