20i Domains

Should I have two sites for my services? .com & .co.uk

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by DomainM, Oct 18, 2020.

1. DomainM

DomainM Active Member

I provide design services and about 2 years ago moved from .com to .co.uk. Previous to this move I was working with more international clients. Since moving this has now become very UK centric.

I am considering launching a new .com site, re-instating my old domain. The .co.uk domain would be targeted at regional/UK clients while marketing the .com for international US business.

Is this an awful idea? Should I just focus all my limited time into the .UK domain and hope that this would be sufficient or go wider for an international audience.

Interested to hear SEO opinion on what I should be considering here. Thanks :)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

If you're talking about having two identical sites but just different extensions, the you'd get hit with duplicate content penalties so bad idea. I think you'd have to have two completely different sites and treat them as independant entities.

If it were me, and if I was aiming at international clients and uk , then i'd go com and redirect the co.uk & uk toward the com. Com is fine in uk . If it was purely uk business then I think co.uk & uk generally does better for regional searches.

Is you uk site already established ? You could set up identical url scheme and redirect pages ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. DomainM

DomainM Active Member

I was thinking that both sites would have unique text copy, no duplicate content issues. These sites would effectively become their own entities under the same company name. I would possibly use some form of IP redirect for UK and non-UK visitors to avoid confusion. The reason for not forwarding the .UK domain is branding related. I have already invested a lot of time into building a single word .UK domain which appears on vehicle livery etc. The .COM domain is the longer form of my business name so I feel comfortable using it for non .UK clients.

There are also other considerations also. In the UK I use UK English, promote the regional nature of my services and show prices in GBP. On the .COM site I would be using US English, shows USD and promoting the remote working nature of my services.

I wouldn't use the same URL structure as the .UK site has been optimised for UK SEO.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

This all sounds fine. You state you would use unique copy so then the answer to your question is really a wider 'business decision' and not an SEO dilemma.

• Agree Agree x 1