Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Site review please - plus cute dog pic!

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

We have been working on our new site and a couple of existing members (hi guys ) mentioned popping it on here for people to rip apart.

We are now active in testing, but keen to get any fresh eyes on site and thoughts on design, usability and for those who fancy a crack the process itself (its woo commerce) there is a genuine Xbox Series X up for grabs modelled by Alfie the office dog... and a few grand in cash going out the door shortly too.

Domain is a cracker - bought from an Acorn member of course

Anyway the site is https://Giveaway.co.uk - a follow on the socials below would be appreciated to help traction and there’s a pic of Alfie there too to incentivise you

Thanks, and feedback welcome!

Kieran

https://www.instagram.com/giveawaydotuk/
https://www.facebook.com/giveawaydotuk/
https://twitter.com/giveawaydotuk/

Looks nice and clean.

One thing you haven't mentioned and as Trauiner said, trust is probably the big thing here is how the draws are won ? Is it completely transparent ? Maybe i missed it.... I'm sure you've done your research but there are a few of these popping up at the moment and the one that seems to be doing quite well ( Omaze I think) make a big thing of doing the draw live via a facebook live stream and calling the winners via mobile 'live on air' . Seems to work well and they get a fair few tuning in.

They use a google random number picker i think and publish a spreadsheet with winning numbers before hand with names.

I'm going to be painfully honest, I don't think the name works as your not "giving anything away" your selling things.
May just be me though and I wish you luck with it.

I'm going to be painfully honest, I don't think the name works as your not "giving anything away" your selling things.
May just be me though and I wish you luck with it.

I agree. Great domain name, but not when you are selling competition entries.

I would also look to launch with t least five or six competitions rather than just an X box. It would add to the credibility of the site.

Hope the site's a success for you.

Last edited:
I'm a frequent user of the Car comp sites and they are all a hugely profitable niche with 90% of marketing in social media alone, 7daysperformance, dreamcargiveaways, elitecomps for example, I typically try my luck more with the new start ups as the odds are a million times better, BOTB just isnt worth doing now days because of the odds.

Trust issues are not as big deal as many think, these niches and following on social media is huge. There is a demographic your targetting and they are getting more trusting as time goes on. Out of all the ones I used over the years, yours is clean and it wouldnt bother me at all using the site after ive seen a few high profile prizes being handed out.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and we will take it onboard :)

@dee good point, we've not made that at all clear on the site! As you've identified, live draws really seem to work - we'll be using a similar format inc transparent entry list and random number generator

@Adam H thats super useful to hear thanks! Totally agree about BOTB, the no maximum number of entries thing kills it for me.

We'll come back in the new year with a full range of prizes, lockdown scuppered our plans for this year - all car related of course (it'll be great to get the Abarth out of the garage!)

Thanks again to those who have taken the time so far - fresh eyes are the best eyes!

@Adam H thats super useful to hear thanks! Totally agree about BOTB, the no maximum number of entries thing kills it for me.

We'll come back in the new year with a full range of prizes, lockdown scuppered our plans for this year - all car related of course (it'll be great to get the Abarth out of the garage!)

Get a nice Merc C63 on there and ill enter lol, they are pretty much the only ones I enter as i'll likely buy one in the new year anyway lol. I've actually won on one of these sites a few months back, but unfortunately it didnt sell all the tickets by the end time so I didnt get the car ( Merc C43 ) , I got a cash alternative :( boo but yay lol.

@Adam H if we can get to that level i'd be a very happy man! (I'd love a C63 coupe!)

What site was that if you don't mind sharing? really want to avoid that sort of situation, also seen a few sites pop-up that endlessly draw it out until they do sell out

@Adam H if we can get to that level i'd be a very happy man! (I'd love a C63 coupe!)

What site was that if you don't mind sharing? really want to avoid that sort of situation, also seen a few sites pop-up that endlessly draw it out until they do sell out

Yeah I want the C63 coupe or the estate ( Only the estate so i can fit all my golf gear in comfortably lol ).

The site I won on hasnt actually listed anymore comps since I won, its a tough process getting enough people for big prizes initially, but the site was called Prize online ( norwich based ). I always assumed many of these sites when growing had deals with dealerships to hold a certain car for a month or two, with the gaurentee of buying the motor once the price was won to limit the risk and having to sell the car if the prize pool wasnt enough. But most of the bigger ones now 100% buy the cars outright and do the draw regardless.....obviously you've got to be making a fair profit to be able to do that.

Contrary to some of the opinions above, I really like the name and think it will do well with the right marketing.

The site design looks professional and clean but I'm not a huge fan of the logo.

Good luck. There's plenty of thick insta' millennial's out there that'll gobble up this crap. As for the design its close, a good first run, but it needs that extra 10% to make it pop and make people really trust it and share it on.. the content is to shallow it needs more (fake) depth. The logo is utterly retarded.

Love the name, the G! logo is a bit iffy.

I'm going to give it a try as couldn't get my kids the new Xbox.

Good luck with the site!

Just to let you know your emails ended up in my junk folder.

Just out of interest, have you researched the legal aspects of this? If you're asking too simple a qualifying question (like choose 1 of 3 drop-down answers) and then selecting winners based on random numbers, you could be classed as a lottery operator.

Thanks for the heads up @DJ Wood :)

@aZooZa Great question! Yes - had that all checked legally, this is not a quick domainer chucking a site up exercise :) We must be able to show we have prevented a significant amount of people from winning...

We'll need to consider the questions carefully - just yesterday in fact I saw one site using the question "name the popular gaming console" - playstation / cat / dog / mouse.

Our launch question is catching a significant number of people, so is perfect.

Thanks for the heads up @DJ Wood :)

@aZooZa Great question! Yes - had that all checked legally, this is not a quick domainer chucking a site up exercise :) We must be able to show we have prevented a significant amount of people from winning...

We'll need to consider the questions carefully - just yesterday in fact I saw one site using the question "name the popular gaming console" - playstation / cat / dog / mouse.

Our launch question is catching a significant number of people, so is perfect.

Do you let people know if they have got the question wrong so they have the chance to try again? Might be a good way to sell some more?

If the answer is easily checked on Google, then I doubt you'd pass muster with the GC. I've been there and done it before. A member here won a Rolex Submariner actually. Good luck!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom