20i Domains

.co.uk vs .uk

Discussion in 'General Board' started by bensd, Sep 26, 2020.

?

.co.uk or .uk?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2020.
  1. .co.uk

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. .uk

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. splashweb

splashweb Active Member

If I was using a brandable domain for a site, and hadn't got the pair, then spending a few hundred quid on a UK Trade Mark is probably the best protection I could get against any later "pitch invasion" of my brand; valid for up to 20 years if you renew it. A TM would also, to varying degrees, potentially devalue the other one of the pair by limiting it's use.

Personally, I wouldn't start a brand if I only had the .co.uk, but I would with just the .uk.

Generics not so much use here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. M40 United Kingdom

M40 Member

The .co.uk was available to them for under $200. But they could not afford to spend more than their original offer of $20.

I would have given them it for free but they were rude, and was the shady TV preacher type. I let the domain drop.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. crazihos United Kingdom

crazihos Active Member

I'm going to add this anecdotally as I never compiled figures.

12 months+ ago we had to use both versions (co.uk/.uk) of one of our brands in concurrent PPC campaigns.

Both used virtually the same ad text, keywords that were similar enough to give reliable results and over a hundred thousand clicks.

The .uk's performance had a lower CTR and also lower on site conversion but the difference was marginal - a couple of % at most and certainly nothing that would put me off using a .uk domain.

People genuinely don't seem to care what they click on.

The branding confusion is another matter though - that does bother me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

I suppose you'd have to be pretty thick to start any kind of business you wanted to scale in the future only owning the .UK. I guess its ok for little private blog or something small. Imagine monster only launching on .UK and not .co.uk

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. crazihos United Kingdom

crazihos Active Member

I was thinking about this and agree with it to a point but the reality is that most businesses will never get to a stage that it matters either way.

7. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

Yes, I guess if it works it works you could say, maybe it's one of the reasons why they never get to that stage.