Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

consequences?

Discussion in 'Detagged or Suspended UK Domain Names' started by cav, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cav United Kingdom

cav Active Member

I note that children/org/uk dropped today and was caught. I contacted the charity who owned it recently and they informed me that they want to keep the name.

Therefore, I guess they let it drop unintentionally. Would there be any consequences for the guy who caught it? i.e. do the charity have a right to take it back if they appealed to Nominet?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

In short - no, unless renewal was attempted and failed due to an issue at Nominet.

Grant

4. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

I can't find the topic so not completely sure of the circumstances but, someone posted on here the other day saying they had caught a name, and Nominet said they had to give it back to the registrant who dropped it, for whatever reason, in the same topic, another member said they had experienced losing a domain the same way.

[edit]

Found it, see this topic and post #3, it wasn't a catch, it was a hand reg of a dropped domains that were apparently cancelled in error: http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/domain-name-disputes/109211-nominet-email-help.html

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  5. They wanted to keep it enough not to sell it, but not enough to pay the £6 renewal. Obviously I can't comment on the size of the charity or their personal circumstances but they had there 92 days to renew, The name is no longer theirs...however Nominet could see it different!

6. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

It's a shame if they wanted to keep it but i can't figure out why they didn't renew it if they did. I can't see Nominet giving it back if all the reminders went sent, charity or not. If they didn't have the correct contact details set then that was an error on their part. Like i say, is a bit of a shame though.

7. If they wanted it that much they would of renewed it when the above person tried to buy it.

8. cav United Kingdom

cav Active Member

Thanks for the responses guys....I wished I chased it a bit harder now!

9. RobM

RobM Retired Member

I think it would open a can of worms for nominet to do anything. It's one thing to actually delete domains in error that are then registered by someone else as in the examples of post 3. It's another for a domain to go through the drop-cycle correctly and then drop regardless of the registrant's intent and whether or not they are a charity. This was caught by a user on my system though so I really don't want to see any fallout :)

10. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

They could try and spit there dummy out…:D But you let it drop and there was no nom etc error ( that would be down to how honest and trackable there system was..?) then they can kiss it goodbye…

11. DannyB United Kingdom

DannyB Active Member

I had one go missing and it seems that the registrar had made a mistake. Called Nominet and spoke to Second Line Support, they said the domain was supposed to be in the registrars account but for some reason it has dropped. I said I never received any emails from Nominet (so much for their keepyour.co.uk campaign) and they said the admin email was present and accurate so admitted it's the first time they have ever had a renewal reminder email not go out to a registrant (can't believe that but hey....)...

edit : they confirmed an email was never sent

Anyway, I asked them to get the domain back from the new registrant and they told me to go and buy it back. I said you're taking the pi** and they said there was nothing they could do.

The domain recently sold for £999 on Sedo

Am currently trying to get appropriate recompense from the registrar.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.