Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Do you want a £750 fine?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Whois-Search, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

I wonder what steven terence jackson has got to say about it all?
    Pred

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Shall we discuss incorrect address details again

4. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

i wasn't aware he did. does he? lol
    i meant if you held probably the best .uk portfolio, if nominet's aims were true it would be rather worrying? non?
    Pred :D

5. olebean United Kingdom

Yes (not fully correct!)... lol

even if the details were correct I would certainly question the how the correspondence to a limited company is handed.. ie.. Whether there is a charge levied to him personally for the limited company handling his correspondence :twisted:

6. retired_member26

retired_member26 Banned

STR is actually reachable by email but his domain prices are unreachable :)

7. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

Scandalous. Sounds to me like blatant "reverse highjacking" of DRS fees.

I bet the majority of normal domainers out there will not even of heard of Nominet. They will have simply gone to a registrar, regged a name, built a site and now they could be faced with a £750 bill if someone contests that name and wins!

This is very worrying. How can we voice our disapproval?

If this is a "consultation" period at present, how can we join forces to ensure it does not become a reality?

8. olebean United Kingdom

The price of domains is unlikely to rise in the short term..

9. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Check out DRS expert Claire Milne's response from "New DRS option":

http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/13039_Claire_Milne.pdf

10. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

This is farcical. We are not living in a police state but it does look like we are rapidly heading towards a "Nominet" state in terms of UK domaining.

Nominet should not be in control of DRS.

For it to be truly impartial, it should hand the reigns over to ICANN like other countries.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  11. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

You must be joking. Icann are one of the most corrupt organisations going.
    Nominet i believe are totally trustworthy & honest, just a little misguided & inept, due to outgrowing themselves.
    Ideally we would have a separate entity in this country, small & inexpensive, lol, for drs cases.
    However, you know what will happen. It will end up with the same failings & problems in the drs area & would end up making the process really expensive, which we would all have to foot, if & when our turn came round.
    Better the devil we know.
    I would say get some true independants to sit in on the panel & change the system around. If they vet the complaints properly then only a handful should make it through. Then probably the fairest way is the losing party pay a small amount. And i mean small. Nominet can contribute the bulk of costs. After all, they are a non-profit making organisation ;) Just my two pence.
    Pred :D

12. hunkydorey

hunkydorey Active Member

Implications of a Big Drop

I've been mulling over what's been said and thought about what would happen in the event of a rule change and threat of a £850 or so fine for the "loser".

I'm sure this site would be quick to let everyone know and then we'd be sat with the option of a mass deletion of names.

Imagine that, it only takes a few days to get a name deleted by nominet and should we feel threatened by one DRS then there's nothing stopping us mass deleting other domains.

That would not be good as names where more than one compnay stakes a claim could be snapped up by a rival. It would be a mess.

My combined income from the domains I own hardly covers 1 DRS and I own around 50 that could be contested, so it simply not worth it.

I expect there would be a 2 year amnesty as the terms and conditions of sale by Nominet would I believe need to be changed to specify that anyone reg' a domain may be fined and sued by anyone whos wants the name they reg' and the loser picks up the costs !!!!.

I also expect that the claiment will have to prove they've bought every other relevant TLD before you reg'd your domain to get a hearing.

Same with TMs only TMs reg'd before you reg'd the domain for the first time ?? could get complex for renewals.

Thinking about it, it might be easier for Nominet to block renewals where there is contested domain, and the winner gets the right to register it, the loser would get nothing and not be fined, that way things would be far smoother and would avoid a mass deletion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

non profit organisation with millions or thousands in bank, hhmmm still makes me laugh....

14. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

It's surprising how IP lawyers wish to talk themselves out of a job, but there you go. It would appear as shown by their comments in that hall the other day, some of them they really are idiots.

15. Whois-Search

Two important DRS responses just in regarding "loser pays":

Royal Bank of Scotland - 16/2/2007:

http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/15831_Royal_Bank_of_Scotland.pdf

Tony Willoughby - 15/2/2007:

http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/15828_Tony_Willoughby_OS.pdf

16. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

If I was a sceptic, I would say that "loser pays" was only branded about to put the wind up domainers. There was no intention of doing it, but the plan is to make domainers so relieved that loser pays isn't being implemented after the consultation that they fail to notice the other subtle changes to the policy that have been suggested in the filler text (and not on the online form). Fail to notice, that is, until the changes come back to haunt them in a DRS sometime soon...

But I am not a sceptic so it can't be so. I love Nominet and I know they would never do that to me :mrgreen:

17. Whois-Search

I agree BB99 however I can just see the headlines now "Nominet becomes the first registry to impose a deterrent to cybersquatting".

This just in from Out-Law.com:

http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/16030_OUT-LAW.com.pdf

18. olebean United Kingdom

The type of headlines nominet craves?

19. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

if this rule comes in where loser pays etc would that be for domains reg as from now (if it came in) or would the ruling be for domains regged in the past few years?

20. Whois-Search

I think (from the DRS event) that it will apply to all existing domains as soon as they impose the new contract.

However apart from not being applied at all! If it has to be applied I would like to see it applied only when a domain name is renewed so the registrant can read the new DRS contract (supplied by the registrar) before clicking the renew button.

21. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Did I have until 5pm or midnight? Just checking as I missed the last two out and there were parts not on the online form that were elsewhere for change? what's the bleeding point of that then? scrap it, do it again. Ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.