Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DomainLore limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just seen the following :

We are experiencing a high volume of auction submissions and already running auctions. Since only a limited number of auctions can run simultaneously (you wouldn't want to have your listing lost in the woods), domain approvals are processed based on the room available for new auctions.

Why can't there be more auctions? Sorry I don't understand this - it's not like there's thousands of domains ending each day.

Provided there is quality, the only thing required is some way for users to filter specific types of domains that are for sale e.g. :

sports
geo
dictionary
finance
etc.

This could be a simple (and required) choice/selection from a dropdown list of some 20 or so when they want to submit a domain for auction.

I was about to add a few more domains - but won't bother now - which seems silly. It's also very frustrating as if I did add now - when will they appear?

This is not a dig at Denys I am sure he has his reasons, but the site has proven itself as a great place to buy and sell 'good' domains. So what's the beef with more?

I have no problems sifting through a list of 100/200 domains to see what's coming up for sale etc. In fact that's what I would expect - and it's a bloody nice bonus that the domains are all of a reasonable minimum standard.

Frustrated
TW

Sounds like a get-out clause for a limited system or limited resources. GoDaddy has huge numbers of auctions running at any one time and it doesn't do them any harm.

Interesting. I'd love to have your auctions running inside Acorn. Any developers out there interested in helping me achieve it?

I've tried VBClassified and PHP Pro Bid without success, so what makes DL so successful?

Admin

I think Deny's probably doesn't want DL to become a mini sedo ie. sifting through lots of shit to get to reasonable domains.

I think Deny's probably doesn't want DL to become a mini sedo ie. sifting through lots of shit to get to reasonable domains.

No I get that - but there's not lots of shit cos 'he' screens. Given that quite a few never get sold - he then pockets a minimum £5 a time.

Surely allowing twice or three times as many domains would not take up much extra time for him to check them and validate whether they are any good. If it's making money, then someone that Denys trusts could actually do it from the proceeds of the earned domains?

Seems daft limiting the site in this way that's all as to date is has done a good job but I am sure I am not the only frustrated one when you have to wait a week or more after adding your domains to even see them appear and get approved.

It's a great site - don't get me wrong... would just like to know where it's going if that is the limit of the number of domains that will ever be on show at one time?

TW

I don't think any increase in sales numbers or revenue would be directly related to the increase in numbers of domains listed.
You could double the listings by reducing the quality slightly, but may only get an additional 5% or 10% of sales.
There is probably only just so much money available for purchasing domains at this level, so, having everyone confused by huge long lists may not be worth it for a small increase in revenue. It could even lead to lower sales, if people got fed up with all the names and didn't bother to scroll through them.
I don't think Denys is in it for the fivers!
Regards
Bruce

so what makes DL so successful?

The fact that Denys doesn't mind telling people their babies (domains) are ugly. So he is able to keep the garbage from the site and it is truly and auction site not a warehouse for forgotten domains.

He lost a lot of so-called friends doing it but it's paying off now.

I don't think Denys is in it for the fivers!

Fair point - in a way I shouldn't have mentioned the £5 as I am sure he isn't too... that was more to illustrate that there's revenue in case Denys is the bottleneck in terms of his available time to screen and verify domains added to the backend!

You could double the listings by reducing the quality slightly, but may only get an additional 5% or 10% of sales.

I don't think you would need to reduce the quality to be honest - if domains were guaranteed to be reviewed and checked within a given time period regardless, then people may add more domains.

having everyone confused by huge long lists .... if people got fed up with all the names and didn't bother to scroll through them.

Hence my suggestion to be able to filter - a relatively simple and time-efficient route to make sure you can look at your niche area to see what's available, or just scan through a longer list if you are in the market for a general domain / see auctions ending soon.

The fact that Denys doesn't mind telling people their babies (domains) are ugly. So he is able to keep the garbage from the site and it is truly and auction site not a warehouse for forgotten domains.

Ha ha - I have seen a dubious one or two IMHO, but he does a great job in keeping the crap away!

Are there any new advances/enhancements coming down the track perhaps?

TW.

Domainlore is pretty great so you would need something similar which also has fixed prices with a unified login with the forum and you would definitely get users. However you're going to need someone talented with php to achieve that!

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure, I saw 14 names drop off the hidden gems the other day, £25k a year if it carries on like that.

Which, when you see his portfolio isn't much even if it sounds like a decent "headline" figure to some. And a lot of work goes into that (theoretical) £25k - keeping the site running, helping with disputes and non-payments etc. Hardly a goldmine!

Interesting. I'd love to have your auctions running inside Acorn. Any developers out there interested in helping me achieve it?

I've tried VBClassified and PHP Pro Bid without success, so what makes DL so successful?

Admin

the first thing you need to do if you don't mind me suggesting, as have put forward before, is make the sales threads VISIBLE to passing eyes
the fact they are invisible and have been for years means acorns growth is stunted and limited

domainlore has 1,888 trusted members if you look at top of site
thats 1888 members who have bought and sold or registered properly and bid

acorn has a very small pool of buyers who know if one person doesnt bid then thats it
even domains in sales threads are selling less and less here as more people just list in auctions at other venues

i don't know how many regulars are on acorn but it is a great unique family but we really need some more buyers and new money on forum
seo companies, endusers, new domainers, entrepreneurs
many may come across advice threads and then go without realising and seeing sales threads
i would say get that fixed first! make sales sections visible unlogged in, good for regulars too

then the auction section would become viable witha greater pool of buyers imho
i would love to see this for us and you as you deserve an extra revenue stream for all the hard work you do and time and money you invest but people rarely list names in auction section for the simple reason they have tried and sometimes is ok, but rare

I should say also in case in any doubt no other domain forum I know of does this.
every major domain forum unsigned in members and passing traffic can view sales threads. all of them

the current policy is counter productive it doesnt make new people sign up to view those areas theyre just unaware imo

if they see domains in interested in buying THEN they will join up
can't stress this enough

i was referring to the normal domain sales threads in the first instance
they are invisible
that can be done in a few minutes with vbulletin

new people can then SEE the domain sales threads. once joined and posted and bought and contributed etc, they will get to grips with acution system

but you need to get a new influx of buying members first
this is one step on how to do it

Don't retroactively open the sales forums to spidering - that punishes everyone who posted names over the last decade thinking they were "safe" from having their prices indexed by Google! Especially now that there's a 30-day time limit on going back and editing old threads. You know how buyers are like - they'll go back and dig up a 5 year old thread and use that to browbeat you on pricing...

That's precisely why the sales threads were locked up in the first place BTW.

Yep i agree and that was what i was concerned about!

Don't retroactively open the sales forums to spidering - that punishes everyone who posted names over the last decade thinking they were "safe" from having their prices indexed by Google! Especially now that there's a 30-day time limit on going back and editing old threads. You know how buyers are like - they'll go back and dig up a 5 year old thread and use that to browbeat you on pricing...

That's precisely why the sales threads were locked up in the first place BTW.

Acorn is a forum of discussion more than a sales avenue in my experience, as written above, actual sales are some what lacking. I have not posted any sales threads in quite some time, for that reason. Not that I have any now. I greatly respect the forum and valued members but it does need some further consideration and fresh members willing to do real business and not to just kick some tyres around the wanted threads. Browsing the sales forums and observing a string of 0 replies, those that have replies are mostly "bump" threads. Doesn't bring much confidence to those looking for potential buyers. Anyway thats my 2p worth, time for breakfast.

Why not have the premium domain section non indexed and open the others? or list one as indexed and the other as not. If no one posts in the non indexed get rid later maybe? is there no way to link to the prices elsewhere which won't be indexed? i.e. advertise abcd for sale but have a clickable link to the price?

Which, when you see his portfolio isn't much even if it sounds like a decent "headline" figure to some. And a lot of work goes into that (theoretical) £25k - keeping the site running, helping with disputes and non-payments etc. Hardly a goldmine!

My bad, I've not quite made it enough to be able to sniff at £25k :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom