Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DRS Review

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by foz, Mar 9, 2016.

1. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Scope of the current review.

http://www.nominet.uk/resources/pol...-dispute-resolution-service-policy-procedure/

I spend £10,000's in legal fees per year on UK disputes defending my domains. Would like to get some of that back (at the Experts discretion).

Have requested a similar inclusion to what is offered in .ca;

https://cira.ca/sites/default/files/attachment/policies/cdrppolicy_-_en.pdf

2. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

I think it's only fair that Nominet are able to protect the registrant through the DRS, yet still enabling a genuine DRS to remain affordable.

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I like your suggestion to impose some kind of financial penalty on frivolous DRS chancers. It redresses the balance of power a tiny bit - at the moment, entirely innocent registrants are potentially subject to unnecessary costs any time somebody feels like "having a go" at taking one of their domains...

4. bluerock United Kingdom

bluerock Well-Known Member

I have a current drs and the basis of the complaint is they didnt get renewal notices etc and "the registrant has our domain".
    It pisses me off that complaints like this get through. No matter what the basis of the complaint is the registrant still has to spend time/money compiling the response.

I agree with Foz that there should be some recompense to registrants who receive nuisance drs'.

5. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

I have exactly the sames DRS issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. monaghan United Kingdom

If that is the only claim in the DRS, can you not complain to Nominet? After all, they do accept trading of domain names as a valid activity

7. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Would anyone prefer to adopt the UDRP out of interest?

8. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

No definitely not. They seem to get it wrong about generics far more often than the DRS does!

9. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

One of my main complaints at the last DRS review was that there was NO entry checking. The complainant paid their money and took their chance.

There was IMO a clear need for this. I suggested a basic expert panel to check that each DRS 'application' passed a basic requirements test to weed out frivolous and I some cases malicious applications. Only once this was done would a DRS be accepted and the respondent notified. A DRS application charge should be levied to pay for this.

As it is they just check you have filled in the forms correctly. Simply not good enough.

S

10. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

- Rob

11. bluerock United Kingdom

Its not worth it as Nom have already accepted the complaint. Today was deadline day for my submission so a short and sweet one went in. Now lets see if they pay the £750 + vat.

12. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Case in point, my latest complaint.

This crap is approved by Nominet as a complaint. :x

Just some dumb ass with a huge chip on his shoulder, that's all.

13. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Ouch. You're right that it's a pain. Still, isn't it possible (if you get a lot of those) to have a template Response that covers all the basics of "This is generic... You don't have an automatic right to... etc." and then just cut and paste it against every DRS challenge you receive of that nature? So it's still "work" but without any expense or time requirement?

14. foz

foz Well-Known Member

It's still work and in my mind is an abuse of the DRS process. This is not a genuine grievance in the slightest. I want it, toddler behavior.

From the same individual to the broker;

Bluff and lies. He is in IT, so no surprises by the attitude.

15. bluerock United Kingdom

I always laugh my socks off when people say "I'll take my complaint against you it ICANN".

16. monaghan United Kingdom

Surely Nominet should be validating whether the current owner is in breach of any registration conditions and rejecting the DRS if all is above board, isn't this the logical thing to be doing in order to protect the registrant and stop wasting everybody's time all round. Yes of course there needs to be mechanism to deal with the hardened domain abusers, but there needs to be some protection for those not breaking any rules and perhaps a paid option for those who insist in making a claim where no rules have been broken.

17. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Isn't the whole point of DRS to hand decision making to an informed and independent expert?

I'm with Edwin. Have boilerplates on standby and suck it up as a cost of doing business.

18. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Nominet will be hoping he does. Hmmm makes me wonder how frivolous complaints get through.

19. foz

foz Well-Known Member

The Expert gets all that fee. Has been at that level for years, inflation adjusted it should be up to £1,000 by now.

20. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

Based on that, its in the interest of the *experts* to keep the drs flood gates open then.. money for old rope.