Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Dual Sim Mobile recommendations

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me find a model please. I've got a Samsung S8 i dont particularly like and I have a need for a dual sim phone. I'm struggling to find a good one, i was homing in on the Huawei P10 until i found out it doesn do wireless charging which i feel like ive been enjoying for years, i could roll back reluctantly if I have to..

Cant seem to find this:

Dual Sim Android phone
wireless charging
screen around 5"
good battery life

Dont want:

A phablet
xiaomi phones with chinese menus
a phone with a crap battery

Any help appreciated.

As far as I know some of the Samsung S7 standard and edge both come in Dual Sim, they are 5.5", and a decent phone.

I'd avoid moto like the damn plague. I went through about 8 phones all have the same problem, the Z, ZPlay, Z2, all shit, not sure they do dual but don't go there.

Q:What's so great about wireless charging?
I used to find plugging in to charge a bit annoying but since USB-C it's very painless.
My phone always lasts all day anyway, so I just charge it once at night.

Do you definitely need dual sim?

I've got 3 voip geo numbers from voipfone which ring on my mobile via their softphone app. If someone's calling 01785 503661 then I know it's a domain enquiry, costs about £2 per month per number.

I've got 3 voip geo numbers from voipfone which ring on my mobile via their softphone app. If someone's calling 01785 503661 then I know it's a domain enquiry, costs about £2 per month per number.

If you sometimes live abroad and still have a UK number it's easier to have dual sims or, like me, 2 phones. Have you used this service while you've been abroad; in theory it should work OK but I wonder what the real world experience is?

Q:What's so great about wireless charging?
I used to find plugging in to charge a bit annoying but since USB-C it's very painless.
My phone always lasts all day anyway, so I just charge it once at night.

For a couple of years now I've got used to just plonking my phone down on a neat pad/craddle and not having to pick up a loose cable and find a hole! Agreed...usb c is much better.

Yes I need dual sim not 'phone numbers' - I have a london geo voip number. The dual sim is to get 'internet' when in another country, I'll be living between 2 countries.

Looks like a modest sized dual sim phone with wireless charging doesnt exist so I'm considering a Huawie P10

What about the Oneplus 5T? Reviews look very promising, and it goes on open sale tomorrow (Feb 6th)

No wireless charging, but other than that a tip-top spec...
https://oneplus.net/uk/5t

Yes, looks a good phone, the main put off is the sheer size of it, too tall and too wide.

I see you are in Spain, wait until the MWC, Barcelona at end of Feb.
Maybe your dream phone will be announced!

I have had 2 Xiaomi phones - no Chinese menu issues at all once the phone is set up. Great battery life.

Currently using the OnePlus 5 which just feels great in your hands.

Cheers all. I would have gone for the oneplus5T but it wasnt on hand in Andorra and my needs became more urgent after another inocuous and small drop of the Samsung s8 onto a softish floor. Its the most fragile phone Ive ever owned and the studies confirm this. So I had to settle for what I could find in the shops yesterday, nearly got the huawei mate 10 lite, or something like that, but out of stock. I was then shown the Xiaomi redmi note 4 and it was the right size, mentioned here twice, dual sim, high spec and at a price that made it a no brainer. So after a day.... I think its really solid, well made, has a good bezel (dont think slim to no bezel is actually a benefit), is very fast, has a humogumbus battery (4100mah) that just will not run down. Some nice touches like a good fingerprint scanner that unlocks the phone without having to wake it first, permanently live. Downsides... camera is very poor in comparison to the top end phones, lacks some camera features, its micro usb not 'C', lacks wireless and fast charging. These latter two become less important when you have a battery that just wont quit. The 3mb and 32gb version was 160 euros and the 4gb and 64gb version was only 190 euros. I was offered it in black or gold with a white front which i went for 'cos i was feeling saucy and it looks great (didnt see it until unboxed at home...living dangerously).

Cheers all. I would have gone for the oneplus5T but it wasnt on hand in Andorra and my needs became more urgent after another inocuous and small drop of the Samsung s8 onto a softish floor. Its the most fragile phone Ive ever owned and the studies confirm this. So I had to settle for what I could find in the shops yesterday, nearly got the huawei mate 10 lite, or something like that, but out of stock. I was then shown the Xiaomi redmi note 4 and it was the right size, mentioned here twice, dual sim, high spec and at a price that made it a no brainer. So after a day.... I think its really solid, well made, has a good bezel (dont think slim to no bezel is actually a benefit), is very fast, has a humogumbus battery (4100mah) that just will not run down. Some nice touches like a good fingerprint scanner that unlocks the phone without having to wake it first, permanently live. Downsides... camera is very poor in comparison to the top end phones, lacks some camera features, its micro usb not 'C', lacks wireless and fast charging. These latter two become less important when you have a battery that just wont quit. The 3mb and 32gb version was 160 euros and the 4gb and 64gb version was only 190 euros. I was offered it in black or gold with a white front which i went for 'cos i was feeling saucy and it looks great (didnt see it until unboxed at home...living dangerously).

Good choice ;). It really is impresisve for the price.

Some people appear to have benefited by using the google camera app for this phone, but you need to root it I believe and I'd more than likely end up with a bricked phone!

Ive changed 2 settings and will see what they do first, photo quality was set to medium not high by default. Sharpness needs turning up too. We'll see.

I'm too old for this lark. The camera is diabolical, really. Apparently you can use Google Pixel 2 camera with hdr+ etc on this phone but every tutorial starts with too much assumed knowledge! Id pay for help but dont know where to go.

eh? I dont know what you're rattling about and Ive already bought the phone!

Well, I've only gone and done it. With the aid of a youtube video in urdu and the xda developers forum I worked through it. I cannot believe some of the stuff I had to do to get there, waiting days for security locks to release, creating accounts and requesting unlock approvals from xiamoni, editing my pc registry, editing the phones registry etc etc. But as of 10 minutes ago I now have the very impressive Google pixel 2 camera on my redmi note 4, happy days, its awesome! The camera hardware is capable of good photos it was just a dire camera app and alogorithm holding it back.

Interesting comments. I've found the camera to be okay, but the lighting to be seriously off at times. I just had a break abroad for a few days and it really did show the downsides of the camera. I'm temped to go your route and try to go the google pixel route but it sounds like quite a process!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom