20i Reseller Hosting

Final .uk solution Nominet has produced is good for all

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Stephen, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foz

foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

The winners are the 90% of .co.uk registrants that aren't domainers.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

automatic rights

Lets not forget some massive changes of V2 "opt in" which everybody here knew about and so would have been okay, but the vast majority of UK domain holders did not and would possibly not find out about, if such a scheme was kept.

That has been changed to "automatic rights" for all .co.uk owners, I really massive step forward for the UK namespace.

4. foz

Well an extra ~£3 per year isn't going to break the bank. They have five years to make a transition if they choose to do so.

Premium, buyers won't want one without the other. So I don't think just because a double up has occurred that you will be able to extract double the sale price or value.

5. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Not meaning to shoot you down but I see it that crplumbingandheatingservices.co.uk will now not have to act on anything for the next five years, during which time he may well say he wants the .uk equivalent of his name and he will not incur any large expense during the interim.

6. bulkcorn

bulkcorn Active Member

Nominet deserved every 'accusation' they got as a result of the original proposals. They did not deserve a pat on the back for how they tried to force V1 on us! Their proposals for .cymru/.wales showed they knew what exactly they were doing! The outcry forced them to change position.

Yes, its all turned out well (because we resisted the proposals) but how they tried to shaft .co.uk owners by selling the business domain extension a second time to the highest bidders will never be forgotten!

7. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

agree with you there. I think prices might get back to what they were prior to the V1 consultation - I'd be happy with that - some of the reported sale prices were very buoyant. I can't see us doubling up on values because we've got the .uk and .co.uk.

8. Nigel United Kingdom

agree 100% with you there - it won't be forgotten

9. Nigel United Kingdom

I think you're out of order bringing my faith into this. I haven't been personal with you or nominet in any way. Simply pointing out discrepancies in the statements they've made and the proposals they definitely wanted to implement.

10. bulkcorn

bulkcorn Active Member

You prefer 'they tried it on us'?

... taking it a bit personal? :lol:

11. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

trouble with this industry is it isn't really work..

12. foz

Yep, I still desire status quo, .uk is vanity not a technical requirement.

What Nominet has come out with and the long transition period (60 months) is doable for most. Their will be some falling through the cracks, but those occurrences happen now to the same frequency with expiring domains that should have been renewed.

13. foz

Unfortunately Nominet with its new website has taken the stance not to archive material. Their old site was brilliant on that front.

14. bulkcorn

bulkcorn Active Member

Sean, sorry to hear you'd been treated like that in the past. Let it go!

One thing about 'not forgetting' is that it is not necessarily being remembered in bitterness! It is very positive to look back and laugh at the failed efforts those who tried to shaft you or do evil to you. You can also pity them too :lol:!

It was labelled a 'consultation'. Sorry, some of us have experienced things in life that make you look beyond 'labels'.

If you had a set of twins, would you 'try' a tuna sandwich on one and a gravel sandwich on the other, for lunch?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  15. bulkcorn

bulkcorn Active Member

I believe they tried to shaft me! I won't forget that they cannot be completely trusted! The last 13 months were frustrating but I look back and laugh, and I am not bitter one bit. I do appreciate that others will feel differently but I will not attack them for it, personally or otherwise!

You can be that lone voice in the wilderness supporting your cause ..... actually, there are at least 4 persons on this forum who share the same sentiments as you. If the CEO is gotten rid of, she won't be the first person to be gotten rid of rightly or in error. Everybody will learn lessons and life will go on, just as would have happened if V1 had been successful!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  16. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Top quality post.

17. Nigel United Kingdom

Sean

Please re-read my posts today. And I'd like everyone else to as well. There is nothing there that is accusing people of anything without proof. I can't quite believe that you've escalated this to say that my posts are unchristian like. I would never personally attack anyone in a nasty way and I think plenty on here know that's not the way I behave. I will however scrutinise nominet's actions and point out discrepancies.

All I pointed out is that nominet's original proposals were serious and would definitely been implemented if they could have. This latest statement from nominet that says that they weren't looking to maximise revenue from implementing .uk conflicts with v1 when they proposed a £20 a domain fee and massive auction revenue. I thought that statement warranted a response together with the fact that key v1 links and other information already appears to be missing from the original page. I then simply agreed with bulkcorn's reminder that they tried to sell off the prime domain space even though it belonged to existing .co.uk domain holders. So I get shouted down for pointing that out, told its not a Christian way to behave. Unbelievable. Anyway this is the last post I'm making on here. Time to take a break.

18. Sound United Kingdom

Sound Well-Known Member

There are many people on this forum who share the same views as Sean some have now left the forum and no longer post because of the endless moaning bulling and bitching from others who spent the whole consultation acting like rabbits caught in the headlights.

Some people are being used and influenced by members who only come back to the forum and post to spread their hatred of Nominet and its Board members. Other than that they contribute very little to Acorn and tar the whole domain community with their actions

How do you feel the people who work on the front line for Nominet doing the best they can have felt listening and viewing a tirade of hatred and abuse via the Phones Twitter and other Nominet sucks type websites.

I am sure the same people who didn't inform the public during the consultation that buying a domain from them would mean they may have not got the .uk will now be shouting the virtues of .uk on thier websites.

As Julian says is not a real job.

19. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone should feel bad or make others feel bad for what's been said in the past, this whole issue is very subjective and subsequently different people have different views. There are a lot of members who visit the site but who no longer post, It's a good idea to try to attract them back, because their input on other topics is always beneficial and the industry itself is rich in news and views and getting richer. Who's bought what, who's sold what, what are people doing on the new extensions, who's developing , who's getting out , who's getting in. The biggest problem has been for the last 12 months that domainers have been divesting themselves of their worst domains , so pushing sale price averages down.
    I've no doubt things will redress themselves but not while we're busy sawing sawdust.

20. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

The more the difference between the final implementation of .uk and the earlier consultation rounds sinks in, the more I realise that perhaps I didn't give Nominet enough benefit of the doubt when they insisted that nothing was set in stone and everything was still up for grabs. The extent to which they moved the goalposts (in the right direction) between V2 and the final version shows that there was a lot of truth to their statement, and that I was wrong to doubt them to the extent I did.

I think the awkward way the whole process unfolded - due in no small part to continual poor communication along the way, and an unnecessary sense of secrecy - served to obscure their genuine willingness to be guided by feedback.

In hindsight, it also felt more "personal" than it really was, because I don't think anyone on the Nominet side of the table really empathised with how damaging the consultation process itself was (uncertainty, FUD etc.) even before it reached any kind of conclusion.

Ultimately, that's the right way round. Messy process, good result trumps good process, messy result every day in my book.

Doesn't mean that Nominet and I are bosom buddies again, but I'm willing to treat the past as preamble and see how .uk develops moving forward.

21. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

I agree pretty much with this especially as the forum at times was hijacked by others with their own personal agendas regarding Nominet's wider motives.

I gave up engaging in these threads because as far as I could see Nominet's consultation was pretty much in line with the sort you see Government running everyday.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.