Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Good to see Nom have started the ball rolling on big hikes...

If Daily is in, does that mean paragon, tso, Vida are all in too ? Or am I mixing it up ? I'm sure daily took Evohosting, but also paragon group, but not been keeping up.

Oh no sorry, you're right! I'm mixing it up. I think it's because so many Daily staff got shafted and applied for jobs at the GoDaddy lot - that confused me.

I'd argue now is a good time to start a .UK registrar or offer hosting services. You could theoretically double your revenue by getting all your customers to register .co.uk and .uk domains.

Seems Ned O'Meara was thinking of this for .AU namespace.

http://adamyamada.com/ever-heard-flipping-domain-registrar/

NS just added .CA support recently. I believe they will add other common ccTLDs which includes .co.uk/.uk soon as well.

But millions of those are owned by people who only have 1-5 domains or less. That's a very, very expensive market to go after.

And because becoming a member of Nominet only costs £400 one time and £100 a year (to get access to per-domain pricing that no registrar can match) most people with over about 250 domains will be members.

So the potential universe of valuable clients (those with a decent number of registrations, yet who are NOT Nominet members) will be correspondingly restricted.

It's instructive that .uk/.co.uk seem to be some of the few extensions that NameSilo don't offer despite their lean, streamlined operation...

I'd argue now is a good time to start a .UK registrar or offer hosting services. You could theoretically double your revenue by getting all your customers to register .co.uk and .uk domains.

Seems Ned O'Meara was thinking of this for .AU namespace.

http://adamyamada.com/ever-heard-flipping-domain-registrar/

NS just added .CA support recently. I believe they will add other common ccTLDs which includes .co.uk/.uk soon as well.

But millions of those are owned by people who only have 1-5 domains or less. That's a very, very expensive market to go after.

And because becoming a member of Nominet only costs £400 one time and £100 a year (to get access to per-domain pricing that no registrar can match) most people with over about 250 domains will be members.

So the potential universe of valuable clients (those with a decent number of registrations, yet who are NOT Nominet members) will be correspondingly restricted.

It's instructive that .uk/.co.uk seem to be some of the few extensions that NameSilo don't offer despite their lean, streamlined operation...

I would have thought that if you can automate absolutely everything, it should be possible to survive on a 50p to £1 per year per domain markup
Depends on volume - £1 per domain is not going to cover staff, support, redundant/reliable systems etc.
It's _might_ if all you did was .uk as the Nominet membership is cheap, transfers are free and there is no currency risk, but once you start adding accreditation costs for other ccTLDs and gTLDs into the mix and offering things like "free" DNS, then £2/domain/year becomes the sort-of-minimum markup.

Due to rising costs (particularly in the USD exchange rate and datacentre fees) we're going to have to increase pricing soon - probably to ~6/year for .uk and ~10/year for most gtlds (plus vat)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom